The Student Room Group

Can I appeal my grades for college

Hey I wanted to do a levels in chemistry biology and English however even though I achieved a 7 in chemistry, 6 in biology and an 8 in English, I was unable to pick biology and chemistry as I only achieved a grade 5 in maths. Another thing which is quite frustrating is that I was 1 mark off a grade 6 in maths. Is there any way I could appeal to the college? I strongly feel like they should show me some leniency. Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Please I need help?
Reply 2
Original post by jackrey_nolds
Hey I wanted to do a levels in chemistry biology and English however even though I achieved a 7 in chemistry, 6 in biology and an 8 in English, I was unable to pick biology and chemistry as I only achieved a grade 5 in maths. Another thing which is quite frustrating is that I was 1 mark off a grade 6 in maths. Is there any way I could appeal to the college? I strongly feel like they should show me some leniency. Thanks

Call them tomorrow and also email them detailing your actual scores. Also consider going elsewhere to do your A levels in subjects you want.
Original post by Scotney
Call them tomorrow and also email them detailing your actual scores. Also consider going elsewhere to do your A levels in subjects you want.

I spoke to someone at enrolment and he just wound budge. However I think if I spoke to someone higher up I’d get a chance? What do u think? Also do u think I’m being treated a bit harshly
Reply 4
Original post by Scotney

You could also ask if they would accept the result of a remark in maths but you will have to pay for a priority remark.
Original post by Scotney
You could also ask if they would accept the result of a remark in maths but you will have to pay for a priority remark.

Yeh I they said yes to that but still, one mark?? Really?
Have you considered getting your test remarked?

One mark is silly, but a line has to be drawn, unfortunately, you landed a millimetre behind it.
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
Have you considered getting your test remarked?

One mark is silly, but a line has to be drawn, unfortunately, you landed a millimetre behind it.

Yes I have, I’m just talking hypothetically if I don’t get the mark. How likely would it be for an appeal to be accepted ? I did get a 7 in chemistry and am unable to take it. I’m really passionate about these subjects too :frown:
Yes I have, I’m just talking hypothetically if I don’t get the mark. How likely would it be for an appeal to be accepted ? I did get a 7 in chemistry and am unable to take it. I’m really passionate about these subjects too :frown:

You need to start looking for other places, colleges have entry requirements for a reason. They haven't let it slide so move on and look for other places, quick.
You need to start looking for other places, colleges have entry requirements for a reason. They haven't let it slide so move on and look for other places, quick.

How do u propose I should apply to another college? If I do choose another one it’ll probably be Newman, how should I contact them because I don’t think I’ll be able to just apply this late
Yeh I they said yes to that but still, one mark?? Really?

My daughter was in this position and they would not budge either but 2other schools nearby would accept her. She wanted to stay at her school and ended up doing a different subject completely. Ended badly for her as she hated subject and it effected uni courses she could apply for. Have you other school/college options?
Original post by Scotney
My daughter was in this position and they would not budge either but 2other schools nearby would accept her. She wanted to stay at her school and ended up doing a different subject completely. Ended badly for her as she hated subject and it effected uni courses she could apply for. Have you other school/college options?

Yes I think I may as well choose another college, however I don’t know how I can just apply to another college this late. Stupid of me to only apply to one really.
Get up early tomorrow and start ringing around. Do get remark sent off though asap. Be prepared to have to go in for interviews and print out your results.
You could email your head of sixth form of current college nothing to lose right. Keep it polite though!
Original post by Scotney
Get up early tomorrow and start ringing around. Do get remark sent off though asap. Be prepared to have to go in for interviews and print out your results.
You could email your head of sixth form of current college nothing to lose right. Keep it polite though!

Thanks for the advice :smile:
Original post by Scotney

Any idea on how I can contact him?
Any idea on how I can contact him?

Is there not an email for him on college website or on your offer emails?
How do u propose I should apply to another college? If I do choose another one it’ll probably be Newman, how should I contact them because I don’t think I’ll be able to just apply this late

E-mail them.

Apply to all colleges near you that will allow you to take bio and chem with a 5 in maths.
E-mail them.

Apply to all colleges near you that will allow you to take bio and chem with a 5 in maths.

Yes I just emailed the vice principal , do you think this is good enough?
Yes I just emailed the vice principal , do you think this is good enough?

I was not talking about the college that rejected you.

I was talking about applying to other colleges which actually allow you to take the subjects you want based on your results.

I don't understand what you mean by appeal, you got your results back, the college had a look at them and revoked the offer to study bio and chem.

There is no point 'appealing', they have made it clear that you do not meet their requirements.
Re the email do not start with hey! Needs to be Dear Sir or Mr Whatever. You also have misspelt imagine. Please do better when you email other colleges. You need to be more formal and make a good impression.

Quick Reply

Latest