aRE mY gCsE's gOoD eNuF fOr oxBridge mAtHs? Watch

Maximus 190
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey, sorry about another post asking about this. I'll try keep it short.

I've looked through other peoples posts and looked at comments, and I understand how GCSE's are only a part of the application process etc etc... however I got my GCSE results back today and I managed to do really bad (comparitively) in both English GCSE's and was wondering if this oddity would massively harm my application to maths or computer science at oxbridge (or a joint course at oxford).

Grades;
Maths: 9
Further Maths : A^ (A* with distinction, pretty much a 9)
Physics : 9
Chemistry: 9
Biology : 9
Geography : 8
R.E./R.S. : 8
History : 7
Business Studies : 7

-----Ok now we get to english-----

English Language : 5
English Literature : 5 (1 off a 6)

I am 80% sure I will get a 6 with a remark in literature, I got 7's and 8's during the year so i'm hoping it was just a bad marker...
English language I will remark too but it might not go up to a 6...

I would really appreciate some input. I would hope that they would mostly ingore english on a course such as maths for obvious reasons but I know how competitive oxbridge is so I wouldn't be suprised if it did hinder my application.
Lukeman100
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nice title
Hiro2468
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I love what you did with your title 🤭🤭
logical_nonsense
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
a grade 5 is somewhat ambigious given it's a mix between a C/B so i wouldn't worry, unless you were hoping to apply for an english course. Even so, good A-levels, statement and experience can overwrite those two grades, so to speak.
2500_2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Maximus 190)

I've looked through other peoples posts and looked at comments, and I understand how GCSE's are only a part of the application process etc etc... however I got my GCSE results back today and I managed to do really bad (comparitively) in both English GCSE's and was wondering if this oddity would massively harm my application to maths or computer science at oxbridge (or a joint course at oxford).

Grades;

I am 80% sure I will get a 6 with a remark in literature, I got 7's and 8's during the year so i'm hoping it was just a bad marker...

I would really appreciate some input. I would hope that they would mostly ingore english on a course such as maths for obvious reasons but I know how competitive oxbridge is so I wouldn't be suprised if it did hinder my application.
Oxford is very good at telling you what you need.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Cambridge doesn't care much about GCSEs, and while Oxford does in general, I'm told maths is one of the courses there which weighs them the least. Also at Oxford for maths you take the MAT, which will likely be more heavily considered than GCSE grades anyway - so focus on doing well in that, if you apply to Oxford.

You have a decent grade profile overall, and excellent results in the relevant subjects. I highly doubt it will make a difference that you got a 5 in GCSE English lit/lang.
Maximus 190
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Cambridge doesn't care much about GCSEs, and while Oxford does in general, I'm told maths is one of the courses there which weighs them the least. Also at Oxford for maths you take the MAT, which will likely be more heavily considered than GCSE grades anyway - so focus on doing well in that, if you apply to Oxford.

You have a decent grade profile overall, and excellent results in the relevant subjects. I highly doubt it will make a difference that you got a 5 in GCSE English lit/lang.
Okay, thank you very much for your response.

So what else can I do except for trying my best at A-Levels? My school now provides sessions in preparation for the STEP exam however I think I would like to apply to Oxford 'Mathematics and Computer Science' joint degree, and that includes the MAT enterance exam. Would STEP preparation at school cover the MAT? I am aware that the STEP is extremely difficult, even compard to the MAT so would getting sufficient in STEP allow me to do well with the MAT exam?

Also, I have been learning some programming for web development (HTML, CSS and Javascript). I think it's important to note that I really enjoy this, and I think I want to have a carreer in programming, although I really enjoy maths as well. Do you think if I carried on with learning this (ensuring I still focused on A-Levels heavily as a priority), that this could help with my admissions and make me more competitive with the 'Mathematics and Computer Science' degree? Could it help with my application to just a maths degree too?

So just to summarize this. I am going to focus on doing the best I can with my A-Levels (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Geography), I am going to probably be preparing for the STEP exam because that is what my school provides support for, and I may be learning more advanced web development programming (posibbly moving onto react for front end web development) if this will help me get in to Oxbridge.
On top of this, is there any other things I could do? Preferably something not too intensive as if I do plan to do all of this then I will have a heavy workload!
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Okay, thank you very much for your response.

So what else can I do except for trying my best at A-Levels? My school now provides sessions in preparation for the STEP exam however I think I would like to apply to Oxford 'Mathematics and Computer Science' joint degree, and that includes the MAT enterance exam. Would STEP preparation at school cover the MAT? I am aware that the STEP is extremely difficult, even compard to the MAT so would getting sufficient in STEP allow me to do well with the MAT exam?

Also, I have been learning some programming for web development (HTML, CSS and Javascript). I think it's important to note that I really enjoy this, and I think I want to have a carreer in programming, although I really enjoy maths as well. Do you think if I carried on with learning this (ensuring I still focused on A-Levels heavily as a priority), that this could help with my admissions and make me more competitive with the 'Mathematics and Computer Science' degree? Could it help with my application to just a maths degree too?

So just to summarize this. I am going to focus on doing the best I can with my A-Levels (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Geography), I am going to probably be preparing for the STEP exam because that is what my school provides support for, and I may be learning more advanced web development programming (posibbly moving onto react for front end web development) if this will help me get in to Oxbridge.
On top of this, is there any other things I could do? Preferably something not too intensive as if I do plan to do all of this then I will have a heavy workload!
Senior Maths Challenge/Maths Olympiad(s), perhaps. The programming stuff is something you can discuss in your personal statement in relation to your interests in CS. The MAT is taken at the start of year 13, I believe, unlike STEP which is taken after your A-level exams, so the MAT only presupposes AS Maths content.

I'd probably suggest you look into doing some practice papers and so on just to familiarise yourself with the format and style of the exam, although in terms of mathematical content I assume the STEP content will supersede the MAT content. The STEP questions are a fairly different style to A-level Maths exam questions as I understand, and I don't know how the MAT would compare, so probably best to do some specific MAT work if that's what you're applying to. Practicing some STEP questions commensurate with the AS/early A2 content for A-level Maths/FM might be good interview prep though?

I think realistically you're doing everything you can anyway, other than bearing in mind you may need to do different preparation for the MAT vs STEP (bear in mind some other universities use the MAT as well, such as Imperial, although you can add Imperial after the October 15th deadline and instead have a STEP condition as part of an offer instead...the MAT is probably the easier option I would assume though).
Maximus 190
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Senior Maths Challenge/Maths Olympiad(s), perhaps. The programming stuff is something you can discuss in your personal statement in relation to your interests in CS. The MAT is taken at the start of year 13, I believe, unlike STEP which is taken after your A-level exams, so the MAT only presupposes AS Maths content.

I'd probably suggest you look into doing some practice papers and so on just to familiarise yourself with the format and style of the exam, although in terms of mathematical content I assume the STEP content will supersede the MAT content. The STEP questions are a fairly different style to A-level Maths exam questions as I understand, and I don't know how the MAT would compare, so probably best to do some specific MAT work if that's what you're applying to. Practicing some STEP questions commensurate with the AS/early A2 content for A-level Maths/FM might be good interview prep though?

I think realistically you're doing everything you can anyway, other than bearing in mind you may need to do different preparation for the MAT vs STEP (bear in mind some other universities use the MAT as well, such as Imperial, although you can add Imperial after the October 15th deadline and instead have a STEP condition as part of an offer instead...the MAT is probably the easier option I would assume though).
Okay very interesting, thank you!

As the MAT is taken at the start of year 13, does this mean that I can take the MAT and if I do well then I can ignore the STEP and plan on applying to Oxford and Imperial etc. and if I do poorly then I can focus on the STEP and plan on Cambridge and Warwick etc.? If so then this would be great!
Also it's very scary how the MAT is taken so soon, I always assumed it was taken at the end of year 13.

Edit: changed when I assumed it was taken
Last edited by Maximus 190; 1 month ago
RichE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As the MAT is taken at the start of year 13, does this mean that I can take the MAT and if I do well then I can ignore the STEP and plan on applying to Oxford and Imperial etc. and if I do poorly then I can focus on the STEP and plan on Cambridge and Warwick etc.? If so then this would be great!
Also it's very scary how the MAT is taken so soon, I always assumed it was taken when applying to the university.
As far as Oxford is concerned it is taken when applying to the university - application deadline is October 15th, and the test early November. You can't apply to both Oxford and Cambridge, so there's no chance to switch focus from Oxford to Cambridge if you feel the MAT didn't go so well.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Okay very interesting, thank you!

Also it's very scary how the MAT is taken so soon, I always assumed it was taken at the end of year 13.

Edit: changed when I assumed it was taken
See the above comment, it will be too late to change your mind by then for Oxbridge. I believe Imperial only considers the MAT if you apply before the October 15th deadline in which case they expect it unless there are extenuating circumstances; applications after October 15th and they instead have a STEP condition. Looks like you either have to do both equally or just decide to focus on one :/
PriceMechanism
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Grades;

So you grades under the old system are about: 7A*s, 2As, 1B (assuming the remark goes well), and 1 C.
That would give you an approximate GCSE score of 7.36 (Average of high A).

You will be up against a lot of people with twelve 9s or more, but you are certainly in contention. If the C was in a random subject like R.E. then I wouldn't worry, but because it is in English Lang, they might look a second time. Overall, they are very good and you should be delighted with such strong results. I thin that assuming you have strong AS results and predicted grades, coupled with the other variables involved with an Oxbridge application, you should be a strong candidate!

Good luck!
I hate maths!
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PriceMechanism)
So you grades under the old system are about: 7A*s, 2As, 1B (assuming the remark goes well), and 1 C.
That would give you an approximate GCSE score of 7.36 (Average of high A).

You will be up against a lot of people with twelve 9s or more, but you are certainly in contention. If the C was in a random subject like R.E. then I wouldn't worry, but because it is in English Lang, they might look a second time. Overall, they are very good and you should be delighted with such strong results. I thin that assuming you have strong AS results and predicted grades, coupled with the other variables involved with an Oxbridge application, you should be a strong candidate!

Good luck!
At least for for maths at Cambridge, I don't think GCSEs would be a big deal. Here is a freedom of information request with a bunch of data for the 2018 cohort, not as many people as you'd expect got a perfect set of grades. I think OP has quite normal GCSE grades for maths at Cambridge (check page 79 onwards).

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._passthrough=1
username4911280
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, sorry. You need at least 13 A*-A grades and a minimum of A*A*A*A at A Level, as well as a recommendation from a Nobel Prize winner. And that's just to get you into the interview.
coinín
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Based on the title, I was expecting some classist quip from a classless twit, but was surprised to see an actual question. Carry on!
username4878202
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nah u need an 9 in re sorry
Maximus 190
Rep:
?
(Original post by I hate maths!)
At least for for maths at Cambridge, I don't think GCSEs would be a big deal. Here is a freedom of information request with a bunch of data for the 2018 cohort, not as many people as you'd expect got a perfect set of grades. I think OP has quite normal GCSE grades for maths at Cambridge (check page 79 onwards).

This is really interesting! I am currently working on a script to loop through the data and get an average amount of A*'s, A's and 'Other''s at GCSE for the people that got a conditional offer. I will post what I get once I'm done.
Maximus 190
Rep:
?
(Original post by username4878202)
Nah u need an 9 in re sorry
(Original post by _polaroid)
No, sorry. You need at least 13 A*-A grades and a minimum of A*A*A*A at A Level, as well as a recommendation from a Nobel Prize winner. And that's just to get you into the interview.
You guys joke but it's super competitive. I'm not one of those kids with straight 9's and one grade 8 in music or something, asking if I have good enough GCSE's.
Maximus 190
Rep:
?
(Original post by I hate maths!)
(Original post by I hate maths!)At least for for maths at Cambridge, I don't think GCSEs would be a big deal. Here is a freedom of information request with a bunch of data for the 2018 cohort, not as many people as you'd expect got a perfect set of grades. I think OP has quite normal GCSE grades for maths at Cambridge (check page 79 onwards).

Okay I finished the script, for the GCSE results of people with Conditional Offers for Mathematics made at Cambridge in 2018;
the average amount of A*'s are 7.53,
the average amount of A's are 2.19,
the average amount of 'Other's are 0.844
I'm pretty sure this is correct, could've mad a mistake tho...

If this is right then I'm just below average of A*'s with 7, although I have 5 9's, and they are in the most relevant subjects so that may be better anyway? I have two A's, same as the average, and I have 2 'others', both are C and are English which isn't great... If I can get lit moved up to a 6 it still isn't looking great either. But I'm not too far off the average! Also my schoolisn't amazing, and I assume a large amount of these people came from grammar schools which will bring the average up, so hopefully that will compensate for my two english grades as well.

Javascript code below that was used to make the script.
Spoiler:
Show

let pastedResults =
Spoiler:
Show

'Mathematics2018300001Conditiona l1300Mathematics2018300002Condit ional1200Mathematics2018300003Co nditional900Mathematics201830000 4Conditional100Mathematics201830 0005Conditional910Mathematics201 8300006Conditional1410Mathematic s2018300007Conditional532Mathema tics2018300008Conditional424Math ematics2018300009Conditional910M athematics2018300010Conditional9 20Mathematics2018300011Condition al820Mathematics2018300012Condit ional612Mathematics2018300013Con ditional1000Mathematics201830001 4Conditional1000Mathematics20183 00015Conditional630Mathematics20 18300016Conditional501Mathematic s2018300017Conditional1010Mathem atics2018300018Conditional920Mat hematics2018300019Conditional651 Mathematics2018300020Conditional 810Mathematics2018300021Conditio nal442Mathematics2018300022Condi tional910Mathematics2018300023Co nditional1000Mathematics20183000 24Conditional641Mathematics20183 00025Conditional1100Mathematics2 018300026Conditional1000Mathemat ics2018300027Conditional1200Math ematics2018300028Conditional1001 Mathematics2018300029Conditional 910Mathematics2018300030Conditio nal721Mathematics2018300031Condi tional1100Mathematics2018300032C onditional631Mathematics20183000 33Conditional1000Mathematics2018 300034Conditional821Mathematics2 018300035Conditional900Mathemati cs2018300036Conditional841Mathem atics2018300037Conditional1000Ma thematics2018300038Conditional26 2Mathematics2018300039Conditiona l264Mathematics2018300040Conditi onal272Mathematics2018300041Cond itional910Mathematics2018300042C onditional1120Mathematics2018300 043Conditional640Mathematics2018 300044Conditional1100Mathematics 2018300045Conditional920Mathemat ics2018300046Conditional642Mathe matics2018300047Conditional1010M athematics2018300048Conditional8 31Mathematics2018300049Condition al910'
+ 'Mathematics2018300050Conditiona l1200Mathematics2018300051Condit ional910Mathematics2018300052Con ditional1011Mathematics201830005 3Conditional1100Mathematics20183 00054Conditional541Mathematics20 18300055Conditional731Mathematic s2018300056Conditional820Mathema tics2018300057Conditional1010Mat hematics2018300058Conditional451 Mathematics2018300059Conditional 342Mathematics2018300060Conditio nal1120Mathematics2018300061Cond itional363Mathematics2018300062C onditional830Mathematics20183000 63Conditional1000Mathematics2018 300064Conditional361Mathematics2 018300065Conditional810Mathemati cs2018300066Conditional001Mathem atics2018300067Conditional1200Ma thematics2018300068Conditional11 10Mathematics2018300069Condition al480Mathematics2018300070Condit ional830Mathematics2018300071Con ditional1110Mathematics201830007 2Conditional910Mathematics201830 0073Conditional650Mathematics201 8300074Conditional1200Mathematic s2018300075Conditional1000Mathem atics2018300076Conditional620Mat hematics2018300077Conditional100 0Mathematics2018300078Conditiona l226Mathematics2018300079Conditi onal1110Mathematics2018300080Con ditional613Mathematics2018300081 Conditional311Mathematics2018300 082Conditional1100Mathematics201 8300083Conditional830Mathematics 2018300084Conditional850Mathemat ics2018300085Conditional1000Math ematics2018300086Conditional1200 Mathematics2018300087Conditional 820Mathematics2018300088Conditio nal542Mathematics2018300089Condi tional1021Mathematics2018300090C onditional542Mathematics20183000 91Conditional424Mathematics20183 00092Conditional830Mathematics20 18300093Conditional920Mathematic s2018300094Conditional322Mathema tics2018300095Conditional910Math ematics2018300096Conditional910M athematics2018300097Conditional7 30Mathematics2018300098Condition al460Mathematics2018300099Condit ional1010'
+ 'Mathematics2018300100Conditiona l1010Mathematics2018300101Condit ional820Mathematics2018300102Con ditional740Mathematics2018300103 Conditional931Mathematics2018300 104Conditional740Mathematics2018 300105Conditional1100Mathematics 2018300106Conditional900Mathemat ics2018300107Conditional830Mathe matics2018300108Conditional930Ma thematics2018300109Conditional74 0Mathematics2018300110Conditiona l840Mathematics2018300111Conditi onal1110Mathematics2018300112Con ditional1100Mathematics201830011 3Conditional810Mathematics201830 0114Conditional1100Mathematics20 18300115Conditional821Mathematic s2018300116Conditional910Mathema tics2018300117Conditional1120Mat hematics2018300118Conditional100 0Mathematics2018300119Conditiona l1020Mathematics2018300120Condit ional631Mathematics2018300121Con ditional720Mathematics2018300122 Conditional1020Mathematics201830 0123Conditional723Mathematics201 8300124Conditional1000Mathematic s2018300125Conditional822Mathema tics2018300126Conditional1100Mat hematics2018300127Conditional830 Mathematics2018300128Conditional 830Mathematics2018300129Conditio nal1000Mathematics2018300130Cond itional452Mathematics2018300131C onditional730Mathematics20183001 32Conditional820Mathematics20183 00133Conditional1200Mathematics2 018300134Conditional1200Mathemat ics2018300135Conditional1020Math ematics2018300136Conditional820M athematics2018300137Conditional1 130Mathematics2018300138Conditio nal811Mathematics2018300139Condi tional730Mathematics2018300140Co nditional830Mathematics201830014 1Conditional722Mathematics201830 0142Conditional001Mathematics201 8300143Conditional1200Mathematic s2018300144Conditional242Mathema tics2018300145Conditional812Math ematics2018300146Conditional1100 Mathematics2018300147Conditional 741Mathematics2018300148Conditio nal1010Mathematics2018300149Cond itional1000'
+ 'Mathematics2018300150Conditiona l1200Mathematics2018300151Condit ional541Mathematics2018300152Con ditional831Mathematics2018300153 Conditional642Mathematics2018300 154Conditional732Mathematics2018 300155Conditional532Mathematics2 018300156Conditional442Mathemati cs2018300157Conditional1100Mathe matics2018300158Conditional461Ma thematics2018300159Conditional11 00Mathematics2018300160Condition al760Mathematics2018300161Condit ional433Mathematics2018300162Con ditional1000Mathematics201830016 3Conditional940Mathematics201830 0164Conditional910Mathematics201 8300165Conditional820Mathematics 2018300166Conditional831Mathemat ics2018300167Conditional641Mathe matics2018300168Conditional554Ma thematics2018300169Conditional55 1Mathematics2018300170Conditiona l520Mathematics2018300171Conditi onal641Mathematics2018300172Cond itional641Mathematics2018300173C onditional640Mathematics20183001 74Conditional631Mathematics20183 00175Conditional920Mathematics20 18300176Conditional1010Mathemati cs2018300177Conditional1012Mathe matics2018300178Conditional1000M athematics2018300179Conditional9 40Mathematics2018300180Condition al742Mathematics2018300181Condit ional1000Mathematics2018300182Co nditional444Mathematics201830018 3Conditional610Mathematics201830 0184Conditional615Mathematics201 8300185Conditional1010Mathematic s2018300186Conditional821Mathema tics2018300187Conditional840Math ematics2018300188Conditional730M athematics2018300189Conditional1 100Mathematics2018300190Conditio nal1210Mathematics2018300191Cond itional930Mathematics2018300192C onditional1000Mathematics2018300 193Conditional226Mathematics2018 300194Conditional461Mathematics2 018300195Conditional840Mathemati cs2018300196Conditional631Mathem atics2018300197Conditional1100Ma thematics2018300198Conditional13 00Mathematics2018300199Condition al1200'
+ 'Mathematics2018300200Conditiona l1000Mathematics2018300201Condit ional920Mathematics2018300202Con ditional312Mathematics2018300203 Conditional1100Mathematics201830 0204Conditional623Mathematics201 8300205Conditional1000Mathematic s2018300206Conditional910Mathema tics2018300207Conditional1022Mat hematics2018300208Conditional760 Mathematics2018300209Conditional 1010Mathematics2018300210Conditi onal523Mathematics2018300211Cond itional1120Mathematics2018300212 Conditional414Mathematics2018300 213Conditional930Mathematics2018 300214Conditional001Mathematics2 018300215Conditional1100Mathemat ics2018300216Conditional165Mathe matics2018300217Conditional740Ma thematics2018300218Conditional90 0Mathematics2018300219Conditiona l1100Mathematics2018300220Condit ional930Mathematics2018300221Con ditional326Mathematics2018300222 Conditional820Mathematics2018300 223Conditional731Mathematics2018 300224Conditional820Mathematics2 018300225Conditional641Mathemati cs2018300226Conditional433Mathem atics2018300227Conditional740Mat hematics2018300228Conditional120 0Mathematics2018300229Conditiona l722Mathematics2018300230Conditi onal640Mathematics2018300231Cond itional572Mathematics2018300232C onditional910Mathematics20183002 33Conditional1010Mathematics2018 300234Conditional920Mathematics2 018300235Conditional101Mathemati cs2018300236Conditional910Mathem atics2018300237Conditional821Mat hematics2018300238Conditional760 Mathematics2018300239Conditional 910Mathematics2018300240Conditio nal1110Mathematics2018300241Cond itional921Mathematics2018300242C onditional800Mathematics20183002 43Conditional910Mathematics20183 00244Conditional1020Mathematics2 018300245Conditional561Mathemati cs2018300246Conditional812Mathem atics2018300247Conditional1000Ma thematics2018300248Conditional11 00Mathematics2018300249Condition al400'
+ 'Mathematics2018300250Conditiona l921Mathematics2018300251Conditi onal1010Mathematics2018300252Con ditional362Mathematics2018300253 Conditional820Mathematics2018300 254Conditional463Mathematics2018 300255Conditional245Mathematics2 018300256Conditional731Mathemati cs2018300257Conditional751Mathem atics2018300258Conditional327Mat hematics2018300259Conditional122 0Mathematics2018300260Conditiona l1021Mathematics2018300261Condit ional820Mathematics2018300262Con ditional333Mathematics2018300263 Conditional1030Mathematics201830 0264Conditional1100Mathematics20 18300265Conditional750Mathematic s2018300266Conditional354Mathema tics2018300267Conditional820Math ematics2018300268Conditional433M athematics2018300269Conditional6 40Mathematics2018300270Condition al801Mathematics2018300271Condit ional1030Mathematics2018300272Co nditional1101Mathematics20183002 73Conditional1020Mathematics2018 300274Conditional820Mathematics2 018300275Conditional1010Mathemat ics2018300276Conditional820Mathe matics2018300277Conditional400Ma thematics2018300278Conditional23 0Mathematics2018300279Conditiona l741Mathematics2018300280Conditi onal910Mathematics2018300281Cond itional344Mathematics2018300282C onditional660Mathematics20183002 83Conditional1300Mathematics2018 300284Conditional640Mathematics2 018300285Conditional820Mathemati cs2018300286Conditional1010Mathe matics2018300287Conditional462Ma thematics2018300288Conditional12 10Mathematics2018300289Condition al1320Mathematics2018300290Condi tional910Mathematics2018300291Co nditional910Mathematics201830029 2Conditional411Mathematics201830 0293Conditional435Mathematics201 8300294Conditional253Mathematics 2018300295Conditional236Mathemat ics2018300296Conditional1200Math ematics2018300297Conditional740M athematics2018300298Conditional1 110Mathematics2018300299Conditio nal540'
+ 'Mathematics2018300300Conditiona l851Mathematics2018300301Conditi onal900Mathematics2018300302Cond itional1220Mathematics2018300303 Conditional011Mathematics2018300 304Conditional920Mathematics2018 300305Conditional542Mathematics2 018300306Conditional326Mathemati cs2018300307Conditional830Mathem atics2018300308Conditional1100Ma thematics2018300309Conditional62 2Mathematics2018300310Conditiona l342Mathematics2018300311Conditi onal820Mathematics2018300312Cond itional461Mathematics2018300313C onditional1010Mathematics2018300 314Conditional236Mathematics2018 300315Conditional930Mathematics2 018300316Conditional642Mathemati cs2018300317Conditional640Mathem atics2018300318Conditional820Mat hematics2018300319Conditional222 Mathematics2018300320Conditional 523Mathematics2018300321Conditio nal460Mathematics2018300322Condi tional541Mathematics2018300323Co nditional751Mathematics201830032 4Conditional261Mathematics201830 0325Conditional632Mathematics201 8300326Conditional1100Mathematic s2018300327Conditional831Mathema tics2018300328Conditional1000Mat hematics2018300329Conditional130 0Mathematics2018300330Conditiona l001Mathematics2018300331Conditi onal246Mathematics2018300332Cond itional632Mathematics2018300333C onditional920Mathematics20183003 34Conditional1011Mathematics2018 300335Conditional730Mathematics2 018300336Conditional1110Mathemat ics2018300337Conditional640Mathe matics2018300338Conditional1120M athematics2018300339Conditional9 20Mathematics2018300340Condition al1300Mathematics2018300341Condi tional111Mathematics2018300342Co nditional401Mathematics201830034 3Conditional441Mathematics201830 0344Conditional451Mathematics201 8300345Conditional445Mathematics 2018300346Conditional740Mathemat ics2018300347Conditional631Mathe matics2018300348Conditional552Ma thematics2018300349Conditional92 0'
+ 'Mathematics2018300350Conditiona l811Mathematics2018300351Conditi onal641Mathematics2018300352Cond itional244Mathematics2018300353C onditional910Mathematics20183003 54Conditional1020Mathematics2018 300355Conditional731Mathematics2 018300356Conditional254Mathemati cs2018300357Conditional820Mathem atics2018300358Conditional624Mat hematics2018300359Conditional741 Mathematics2018300360Conditional 622Mathematics2018300361Conditio nal631Mathematics2018300362Condi tional640Mathematics2018300363Co nditional523Mathematics201830036 4Conditional921Mathematics201830 0365Conditional155Mathematics201 8300366Conditional730Mathematics 2018300367Conditional641Mathemat ics2018300368Conditional730Mathe matics2018300369Conditional831Ma thematics2018300370Conditional81 0Mathematics2018300371Conditiona l1100Mathematics2018300372Condit ional543Mathematics2018300373Con ditional1010Mathematics201830037 4Conditional1131Mathematics20183 00375Conditional530Mathematics20 18300376Conditional730Mathematic s2018300377Conditional200Mathema tics2018300378Conditional524Math ematics2018300379Conditional602M athematics2018300380Conditional1 000Mathematics2018300381Conditio nal510Mathematics2018300382Condi tional1000Mathematics2018300383C onditional500Mathematics20183003 84Conditional424Mathematics20183 00385Conditional353'
+ 'Mathematics'

let preWord = 'Conditional';
let postWord = 'Mathematics';
let rawGCSE = [];

let aStarCount = [];
let aCount = [];
let otherCount = [];

function getPosition(string, subString, index) {
return string.split(subString, index).join(subString).length;
};

for (let instance=1; instance<600; instance++) {
rawGCSE.push(pastedResults.slice (getPosition(pastedResults, preWord, instance) + preWord.length, pastedResults.indexOf(postWord, getPosition(pastedResults, preWord, instance)) ))
};
for (let i = 0; i<rawGCSE.length; i++) {
let currentGrade = rawGCSE[i]
if (typeof(currentGrade) === 'undefined') {}
else if (currentGrade.length === 4) {
aStarCount.push(currentGrade.sli ce(0,2))
aCount.push(currentGrade.slice(2 ,3))
otherCount.push(currentGrade.sli ce(3,4))

}
else if (currentGrade.length === 3) {
aStarCount.push(currentGrade.sli ce(0,1))
aCount.push(currentGrade.slice(1 ,2))
otherCount.push(currentGrade.sli ce(2,3))
}

};
console.log(aStarCount)
console.log(aCount)
console.log(otherCount)

function average(array) {
let accumulator = 0
for (i = 0; i<array.length; i++) {
accumulator += parseInt(array[i] , 10)

}
return(accumulator/array.length)
};

console.log(`The average A* count of selected results is (${average(aStarCount)})`)
console.log(`The average A count of selected results is (${average(aCount)})`);
console.log(`The average 'Other' count of selected results is (${average(otherCount)}`);
Last edited by Maximus 190; 1 month ago
2500_2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Okay I finished the script, for the GCSE results of people with Conditional Offers for Mathematics made at Cambridge in 2018;
the average amount of A*'s are 7.53,
the average amount of A's are 2.19,
the average amount of 'Other's are 0.844
I'm pretty sure this is correct, could've mad a mistake tho...

If this is right then I'm just below average of A*'s with 7, although I have 5 9's, and they are in the most relevant subjects so that may be better anyway? I have two A's, same as the average, and I have 2 'others', both are C and are English which isn't great... If I can get lit moved up to a 6 it still isn't looking great either. But I'm not too far off the average! Also my schoolisn't amazing, and I assume a large amount of these people came from grammar schools which will bring the average up, so hopefully that will compensate for my two english grades as well.

Javascript code below that was used to make the script.
Spoiler:
Show

let pastedResults =
Spoiler:
Show

'Mathematics2018300001Conditiona l1300Mathematics2018300002Condit ional1200Mathematics2018300003Co nditional900Mathematics201830000 4Conditional100Mathematics201830 0005Conditional910Mathematics201 8300006Conditional1410Mathematic s2018300007Conditional532Mathema tics2018300008Conditional424Math ematics2018300009Conditional910M athematics2018300010Conditional9 20Mathematics2018300011Condition al820Mathematics2018300012Condit ional612Mathematics2018300013Con ditional1000Mathematics201830001 4Conditional1000Mathematics20183 00015Conditional630Mathematics20 18300016Conditional501Mathematic s2018300017Conditional1010Mathem atics2018300018Conditional920Mat hematics2018300019Conditional651 Mathematics2018300020Conditional 810Mathematics2018300021Conditio nal442Mathematics2018300022Condi tional910Mathematics2018300023Co nditional1000Mathematics20183000 24Conditional641Mathematics20183 00025Conditional1100Mathematics2 018300026Conditional1000Mathemat ics2018300027Conditional1200Math ematics2018300028Conditional1001 Mathematics2018300029Conditional 910Mathematics2018300030Conditio nal721Mathematics2018300031Condi tional1100Mathematics2018300032C onditional631Mathematics20183000 33Conditional1000Mathematics2018 300034Conditional821Mathematics2 018300035Conditional900Mathemati cs2018300036Conditional841Mathem atics2018300037Conditional1000Ma thematics2018300038Conditional26 2Mathematics2018300039Conditiona l264Mathematics2018300040Conditi onal272Mathematics2018300041Cond itional910Mathematics2018300042C onditional1120Mathematics2018300 043Conditional640Mathematics2018 300044Conditional1100Mathematics 2018300045Conditional920Mathemat ics2018300046Conditional642Mathe matics2018300047Conditional1010M athematics2018300048Conditional8 31Mathematics2018300049Condition al910'
+ 'Mathematics2018300050Conditiona l1200Mathematics2018300051Condit ional910Mathematics2018300052Con ditional1011Mathematics201830005 3Conditional1100Mathematics20183 00054Conditional541Mathematics20 18300055Conditional731Mathematic s2018300056Conditional820Mathema tics2018300057Conditional1010Mat hematics2018300058Conditional451 Mathematics2018300059Conditional 342Mathematics2018300060Conditio nal1120Mathematics2018300061Cond itional363Mathematics2018300062C onditional830Mathematics20183000 63Conditional1000Mathematics2018 300064Conditional361Mathematics2 018300065Conditional810Mathemati cs2018300066Conditional001Mathem atics2018300067Conditional1200Ma thematics2018300068Conditional11 10Mathematics2018300069Condition al480Mathematics2018300070Condit ional830Mathematics2018300071Con ditional1110Mathematics201830007 2Conditional910Mathematics201830 0073Conditional650Mathematics201 8300074Conditional1200Mathematic s2018300075Conditional1000Mathem atics2018300076Conditional620Mat hematics2018300077Conditional100 0Mathematics2018300078Conditiona l226Mathematics2018300079Conditi onal1110Mathematics2018300080Con ditional613Mathematics2018300081 Conditional311Mathematics2018300 082Conditional1100Mathematics201 8300083Conditional830Mathematics 2018300084Conditional850Mathemat ics2018300085Conditional1000Math ematics2018300086Conditional1200 Mathematics2018300087Conditional 820Mathematics2018300088Conditio nal542Mathematics2018300089Condi tional1021Mathematics2018300090C onditional542Mathematics20183000 91Conditional424Mathematics20183 00092Conditional830Mathematics20 18300093Conditional920Mathematic s2018300094Conditional322Mathema tics2018300095Conditional910Math ematics2018300096Conditional910M athematics2018300097Conditional7 30Mathematics2018300098Condition al460Mathematics2018300099Condit ional1010'
+ 'Mathematics2018300100Conditiona l1010Mathematics2018300101Condit ional820Mathematics2018300102Con ditional740Mathematics2018300103 Conditional931Mathematics2018300 104Conditional740Mathematics2018 300105Conditional1100Mathematics 2018300106Conditional900Mathemat ics2018300107Conditional830Mathe matics2018300108Conditional930Ma thematics2018300109Conditional74 0Mathematics2018300110Conditiona l840Mathematics2018300111Conditi onal1110Mathematics2018300112Con ditional1100Mathematics201830011 3Conditional810Mathematics201830 0114Conditional1100Mathematics20 18300115Conditional821Mathematic s2018300116Conditional910Mathema tics2018300117Conditional1120Mat hematics2018300118Conditional100 0Mathematics2018300119Conditiona l1020Mathematics2018300120Condit ional631Mathematics2018300121Con ditional720Mathematics2018300122 Conditional1020Mathematics201830 0123Conditional723Mathematics201 8300124Conditional1000Mathematic s2018300125Conditional822Mathema tics2018300126Conditional1100Mat hematics2018300127Conditional830 Mathematics2018300128Conditional 830Mathematics2018300129Conditio nal1000Mathematics2018300130Cond itional452Mathematics2018300131C onditional730Mathematics20183001 32Conditional820Mathematics20183 00133Conditional1200Mathematics2 018300134Conditional1200Mathemat ics2018300135Conditional1020Math ematics2018300136Conditional820M athematics2018300137Conditional1 130Mathematics2018300138Conditio nal811Mathematics2018300139Condi tional730Mathematics2018300140Co nditional830Mathematics201830014 1Conditional722Mathematics201830 0142Conditional001Mathematics201 8300143Conditional1200Mathematic s2018300144Conditional242Mathema tics2018300145Conditional812Math ematics2018300146Conditional1100 Mathematics2018300147Conditional 741Mathematics2018300148Conditio nal1010Mathematics2018300149Cond itional1000'
+ 'Mathematics2018300150Conditiona l1200Mathematics2018300151Condit ional541Mathematics2018300152Con ditional831Mathematics2018300153 Conditional642Mathematics2018300 154Conditional732Mathematics2018 300155Conditional532Mathematics2 018300156Conditional442Mathemati cs2018300157Conditional1100Mathe matics2018300158Conditional461Ma thematics2018300159Conditional11 00Mathematics2018300160Condition al760Mathematics2018300161Condit ional433Mathematics2018300162Con ditional1000Mathematics201830016 3Conditional940Mathematics201830 0164Conditional910Mathematics201 8300165Conditional820Mathematics 2018300166Conditional831Mathemat ics2018300167Conditional641Mathe matics2018300168Conditional554Ma thematics2018300169Conditional55 1Mathematics2018300170Conditiona l520Mathematics2018300171Conditi onal641Mathematics2018300172Cond itional641Mathematics2018300173C onditional640Mathematics20183001 74Conditional631Mathematics20183 00175Conditional920Mathematics20 18300176Conditional1010Mathemati cs2018300177Conditional1012Mathe matics2018300178Conditional1000M athematics2018300179Conditional9 40Mathematics2018300180Condition al742Mathematics2018300181Condit ional1000Mathematics2018300182Co nditional444Mathematics201830018 3Conditional610Mathematics201830 0184Conditional615Mathematics201 8300185Conditional1010Mathematic s2018300186Conditional821Mathema tics2018300187Conditional840Math ematics2018300188Conditional730M athematics2018300189Conditional1 100Mathematics2018300190Conditio nal1210Mathematics2018300191Cond itional930Mathematics2018300192C onditional1000Mathematics2018300 193Conditional226Mathematics2018 300194Conditional461Mathematics2 018300195Conditional840Mathemati cs2018300196Conditional631Mathem atics2018300197Conditional1100Ma thematics2018300198Conditional13 00Mathematics2018300199Condition al1200'
+ 'Mathematics2018300200Conditiona l1000Mathematics2018300201Condit ional920Mathematics2018300202Con ditional312Mathematics2018300203 Conditional1100Mathematics201830 0204Conditional623Mathematics201 8300205Conditional1000Mathematic s2018300206Conditional910Mathema tics2018300207Conditional1022Mat hematics2018300208Conditional760 Mathematics2018300209Conditional 1010Mathematics2018300210Conditi onal523Mathematics2018300211Cond itional1120Mathematics2018300212 Conditional414Mathematics2018300 213Conditional930Mathematics2018 300214Conditional001Mathematics2 018300215Conditional1100Mathemat ics2018300216Conditional165Mathe matics2018300217Conditional740Ma thematics2018300218Conditional90 0Mathematics2018300219Conditiona l1100Mathematics2018300220Condit ional930Mathematics2018300221Con ditional326Mathematics2018300222 Conditional820Mathematics2018300 223Conditional731Mathematics2018 300224Conditional820Mathematics2 018300225Conditional641Mathemati cs2018300226Conditional433Mathem atics2018300227Conditional740Mat hematics2018300228Conditional120 0Mathematics2018300229Conditiona l722Mathematics2018300230Conditi onal640Mathematics2018300231Cond itional572Mathematics2018300232C onditional910Mathematics20183002 33Conditional1010Mathematics2018 300234Conditional920Mathematics2 018300235Conditional101Mathemati cs2018300236Conditional910Mathem atics2018300237Conditional821Mat hematics2018300238Conditional760 Mathematics2018300239Conditional 910Mathematics2018300240Conditio nal1110Mathematics2018300241Cond itional921Mathematics2018300242C onditional800Mathematics20183002 43Conditional910Mathematics20183 00244Conditional1020Mathematics2 018300245Conditional561Mathemati cs2018300246Conditional812Mathem atics2018300247Conditional1000Ma thematics2018300248Conditional11 00Mathematics2018300249Condition al400'
+ 'Mathematics2018300250Conditiona l921Mathematics2018300251Conditi onal1010Mathematics2018300252Con ditional362Mathematics2018300253 Conditional820Mathematics2018300 254Conditional463Mathematics2018 300255Conditional245Mathematics2 018300256Conditional731Mathemati cs2018300257Conditional751Mathem atics2018300258Conditional327Mat hematics2018300259Conditional122 0Mathematics2018300260Conditiona l1021Mathematics2018300261Condit ional820Mathematics2018300262Con ditional333Mathematics2018300263 Conditional1030Mathematics201830 0264Conditional1100Mathematics20 18300265Conditional750Mathematic s2018300266Conditional354Mathema tics2018300267Conditional820Math ematics2018300268Conditional433M athematics2018300269Conditional6 40Mathematics2018300270Condition al801Mathematics2018300271Condit ional1030Mathematics2018300272Co nditional1101Mathematics20183002 73Conditional1020Mathematics2018 300274Conditional820Mathematics2 018300275Conditional1010Mathemat ics2018300276Conditional820Mathe matics2018300277Conditional400Ma thematics2018300278Conditional23 0Mathematics2018300279Conditiona l741Mathematics2018300280Conditi onal910Mathematics2018300281Cond itional344Mathematics2018300282C onditional660Mathematics20183002 83Conditional1300Mathematics2018 300284Conditional640Mathematics2 018300285Conditional820Mathemati cs2018300286Conditional1010Mathe matics2018300287Conditional462Ma thematics2018300288Conditional12 10Mathematics2018300289Condition al1320Mathematics2018300290Condi tional910Mathematics2018300291Co nditional910Mathematics201830029 2Conditional411Mathematics201830 0293Conditional435Mathematics201 8300294Conditional253Mathematics 2018300295Conditional236Mathemat ics2018300296Conditional1200Math ematics2018300297Conditional740M athematics2018300298Conditional1 110Mathematics2018300299Conditio nal540'
+ 'Mathematics2018300300Conditiona l851Mathematics2018300301Conditi onal900Mathematics2018300302Cond itional1220Mathematics2018300303 Conditional011Mathematics2018300 304Conditional920Mathematics2018 300305Conditional542Mathematics2 018300306Conditional326Mathemati cs2018300307Conditional830Mathem atics2018300308Conditional1100Ma thematics2018300309Conditional62 2Mathematics2018300310Conditiona l342Mathematics2018300311Conditi onal820Mathematics2018300312Cond itional461Mathematics2018300313C onditional1010Mathematics2018300 314Conditional236Mathematics2018 300315Conditional930Mathematics2 018300316Conditional642Mathemati cs2018300317Conditional640Mathem atics2018300318Conditional820Mat hematics2018300319Conditional222 Mathematics2018300320Conditional 523Mathematics2018300321Conditio nal460Mathematics2018300322Condi tional541Mathematics2018300323Co nditional751Mathematics201830032 4Conditional261Mathematics201830 0325Conditional632Mathematics201 8300326Conditional1100Mathematic s2018300327Conditional831Mathema tics2018300328Conditional1000Mat hematics2018300329Conditional130 0Mathematics2018300330Conditiona l001Mathematics2018300331Conditi onal246Mathematics2018300332Cond itional632Mathematics2018300333C onditional920Mathematics20183003 34Conditional1011Mathematics2018 300335Conditional730Mathematics2 018300336Conditional1110Mathemat ics2018300337Conditional640Mathe matics2018300338Conditional1120M athematics2018300339Conditional9 20Mathematics2018300340Condition al1300Mathematics2018300341Condi tional111Mathematics2018300342Co nditional401Mathematics201830034 3Conditional441Mathematics201830 0344Conditional451Mathematics201 8300345Conditional445Mathematics 2018300346Conditional740Mathemat ics2018300347Conditional631Mathe matics2018300348Conditional552Ma thematics2018300349Conditional92 0'
+ 'Mathematics2018300350Conditiona l811Mathematics2018300351Conditi onal641Mathematics2018300352Cond itional244Mathematics2018300353C onditional910Mathematics20183003 54Conditional1020Mathematics2018 300355Conditional731Mathematics2 018300356Conditional254Mathemati cs2018300357Conditional820Mathem atics2018300358Conditional624Mat hematics2018300359Conditional741 Mathematics2018300360Conditional 622Mathematics2018300361Conditio nal631Mathematics2018300362Condi tional640Mathematics2018300363Co nditional523Mathematics201830036 4Conditional921Mathematics201830 0365Conditional155Mathematics201 8300366Conditional730Mathematics 2018300367Conditional641Mathemat ics2018300368Conditional730Mathe matics2018300369Conditional831Ma thematics2018300370Conditional81 0Mathematics2018300371Conditiona l1100Mathematics2018300372Condit ional543Mathematics2018300373Con ditional1010Mathematics201830037 4Conditional1131Mathematics20183 00375Conditional530Mathematics20 18300376Conditional730Mathematic s2018300377Conditional200Mathema tics2018300378Conditional524Math ematics2018300379Conditional602M athematics2018300380Conditional1 000Mathematics2018300381Conditio nal510Mathematics2018300382Condi tional1000Mathematics2018300383C onditional500Mathematics20183003 84Conditional424Mathematics20183 00385Conditional353'
+ 'Mathematics'

let preWord = 'Conditional';
let postWord = 'Mathematics';
let rawGCSE = [];

let aStarCount = [];
let aCount = [];
let otherCount = [];

function getPosition(string, subString, index) {
return string.split(subString, index).join(subString).length;
};

for (let instance=1; instance<600; instance++) {
rawGCSE.push(pastedResults.slice (getPosition(pastedResults, preWord, instance) + preWord.length, pastedResults.indexOf(postWord, getPosition(pastedResults, preWord, instance)) ))
};
for (let i = 0; i<rawGCSE.length; i++) {
let currentGrade = rawGCSE[i]
if (typeof(currentGrade) === 'undefined') {}
else if (currentGrade.length === 4) {
aStarCount.push(currentGrade.sli ce(0,2))
aCount.push(currentGrade.slice(2 ,3))
otherCount.push(currentGrade.sli ce(3,4))

}
else if (currentGrade.length === 3) {
aStarCount.push(currentGrade.sli ce(0,1))
aCount.push(currentGrade.slice(1 ,2))
otherCount.push(currentGrade.sli ce(2,3))
}

};
console.log(aStarCount)
console.log(aCount)
console.log(otherCount)

function average(array) {
let accumulator = 0
for (i = 0; i<array.length; i++) {
accumulator += parseInt(array[i] , 10)

}
return(accumulator/array.length)
};

console.log(`The average A* count of selected results is (${average(aStarCount)})`)
console.log(`The average A count of selected results is (${average(aCount)})`);
console.log(`The average 'Other' count of selected results is (${average(otherCount)}`);
You've definitely just demonstrated the sort of intellectual curiosity and problem-solving approach that both unis are looking for, thank you for sharing the data.
I'd really recommend your next step is to go to an open day at both, get a feel for which uni is more interesting for you as far as the course and ask some college admissions tutors directly about your English grade (and ideally other things too!).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (105)
66.04%
No I haven't decided yet (33)
20.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (21)
13.21%

Watched Threads