Do Unis get put off by subjects when you apply? Watch

OllyDaws
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Before deciding what subjects I should do, I was wondering do Unis get put off by certain subjects e.g 3d design etc if you want to do something like engineering at uni?
saltytablet
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by OllyDaws)
Before deciding what subjects I should do, I was wondering do Unis get put off by certain subjects e.g 3d design etc if you want to do something like engineering at uni?
What I recommend doing is probably going to the potential Uni's you want to study at and have a glimpse at their Entry Requirements.
Some Universities have subjects they prefer and/or require for certain courses but honestly it varies between Uni's.
I can't imagine 3D Design would be looked down upon though...
OllyDaws
Rep:
?
(Original post by saltytablet)
What I recommend doing is probably going to the potential Uni's you want to study at and have a glimpse at their Entry Requirements.
Some Universities have subjects they prefer and/or require for certain courses but honestly it varies between Uni's.
I can't imagine 3D Design would be looked down upon though...
This is helpful, didn't think of that thank you
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Generally no, but there are exceptions; LSE for example publish a list of "non-preferred" subjects, which they indicate taking more than one from that list would weaken an application. They also publish guidance on specific combinations of subjects, such as business studies and economics (which is normally considered a non-preferred combination due to overlapping content) and maths with further maths (which is sometimes considered non-preferred for some subjects, and sometimes preferred for others).

For engineering I don't think they'll care much about you take 3D design, although bear in mind for the "top" courses, further maths is often considered competitive. There was a guy on my engineering course that did maths, physics, and art (I believe he originally was considering architecture then decided he was less interested in the design element, and did civil engineering instead).

Outside of Oxbridge/Imperial/similar I don't think it will make much of a difference, and for engineering generally the "pedigree" of your alma mater is a lot less important (and some universities which have very strong presences in graduate recruitment in the engineering sector are often overlooked by snobby 6th form students who think league table rankings and/or the Russell Group tag are the be all and end all - for example Strathclyde, Heriot-Watt, and Loughborough).
OllyDaws
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Generally no, but there are exceptions; LSE for example publish a list of "non-preferred" subjects, which they indicate taking more than one from that list would weaken an application. They also publish guidance on specific combinations of subjects, such as business studies and economics (which is normally considered a non-preferred combination due to overlapping content) and maths with further maths (which is sometimes considered non-preferred for some subjects, and sometimes preferred for others).

For engineering I don't think they'll care much about you take 3D design, although bear in mind for the "top" courses, further maths is often considered competitive. There was a guy on my engineering course that did maths, physics, and art (I believe he originally was considering architecture then decided he was less interested in the design element, and did civil engineering instead).

Outside of Oxbridge/Imperial/similar I don't think it will make much of a difference, and for engineering generally the "pedigree" of your alma mater is a lot less important (and some universities which have very strong presences in graduate recruitment in the engineering sector are often overlooked by snobby 6th form students who think league table rankings and/or the Russell Group tag are the be all and end all - for example Strathclyde, Heriot-Watt, and Loughborough).
This I's incredibly helpful! Thank you
It's either i go college to do 3d design or 6th form to do chemistry, both places I'm doing maths physics and further (though may drop)
And I'm just panicky about this as I have to decide fairly soon
I'm looking to do mechanical engineering or design engineering at uni, and well design I should probably do 3d design but I don't know
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by OllyDaws)
This I's incredibly helpful! Thank you
It's either i go college to do 3d design or 6th form to do chemistry, both places I'm doing maths physics and further (though may drop)
And I'm just panicky about this as I have to decide fairly soon
I'm looking to do mechanical engineering or design engineering at uni, and well design I should probably do 3d design but I don't know
Either would be fine generally, for design engineering the 3D design may actually be preferable as they might want to see some design background (or even a portfolio, depending on the course?). Since you're taking FM as well, you should be able to reasonably apply to any engineering course including those noted above.
OllyDaws
Rep:
?
Either would be fine generally, for design engineering the 3D design may actually be preferable as they might want to see some design background (or even a portfolio, depending on the course?). Since you're taking FM as well, you should be able to reasonably apply to any engineering course including those noted above.
thank you for your help!
iiahmxd
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

What uni are did you go to or are you still at uni? Also you're doing Civil Eng right?
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by iiahmxd)
What uni are did you go to or are you still at uni? Also you're doing Civil Eng right?
I'm not at uni currently, and I wasn't doing civil engineering when I was I was doing EE, but everyone started doing general engineering in first year.

I was going to Exeter; I cannot recommend it for engineering (or in general).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?