The Student Room Group

Gcse results - what next?

Hi,

Today we got our results back and I am extremely disappointed in myself. I know that my results are not good because of the lack of hard work that went into revision. I feel so bad because my dad did so much for me to get into this school and now I can't get into sixth form with these grades.

My dad was so disappointed in me that he started crying, I honestly feel like running away from home so he doesn't have to look at me every day that would remind him of this. He dedicated his life towards my education and now I have failed.

Even if I do take the resits, I don't think its possible to get into sixth form which means my career is over. I wanted to do A-Levels at sixth form and eventually go to uni. This is the simple and the best route for people to take.

I have been crying all day because of this. Please advise me on what to do and if i can get into sixth form for A-Levels. If I dont have any good choices left, please also tell me.

Thank you for reading

Regards,
This is exactly my gcse results day story, except that my dad screamed at me and I cried secretly all night.

I’m sure it’s not all over yet, you can try other sixth forms/ colleges.

If you don’t mind, what subject did you want to do and what were the grades for all your subjects.
Hi, please don’t cry! There are always new paths and options and I promise you’ll find your way. Have you talked to your sixth form to see if they have any other courses or perhaps BTEC subjects that you can take with your grades. You can have a look around as grade requirements do differ for different places. College is another option, here you can retake your subjects alongside your course. I wish you the best of luck and please don’t panic as there is always a way :smile:
I’m sorry you’ve had a rough day . You need to talk to the school and see what they suggest .

Just remember that sometimes parents aren’t upset AT you but upset FOR you, there’s a big difference but sometimes you might overlook that , running away would be the worst thing you could do .

Things will seem better tomorrow when you start looking into all your options , just apologies to you dad for letting yourself down and rally round as a family to make a way forward.
Reply 4
Original post by lucywooldridge
Hi, please don’t cry! There are always new paths and options and I promise you’ll find your way. Have you talked to your sixth form to see if they have any other courses or perhaps BTEC subjects that you can take with your grades. You can have a look around as grade requirements do differ for different places. College is another option, here you can retake your subjects alongside your course. I wish you the best of luck and please don’t panic as there is always a way :smile:

I didnt even bother asking my sixth form as I got a U in maths higher. I dont know what even happened to me. I was predicted decent grades and i didnt perform. If i go college, I heard that college is not really a place to learn as people always mess around. I honestly feel like i messed up my whole life by failing my gcses. I have never felt more ashamed than to see my dad cry because of my results
Reply 5
I got these results

Maths Higher - U
English Lit - 4
English lang - 5
Design and Tech - 1
Religious studies - 4
Biology - 3
Physics - 3
Chemistry - 2
geography - 2

I was thinking of taking a gcse 1 year program at a college near me which allows you to resit maths, english and science in June after 1 year of studying. Maybe if i take this, I can work really hard and do good, this would mean 1 year later, i could join a sixth form
Original post by Conscious9
I got these results

Maths Higher - U
English Lit - 4
English lang - 5
Design and Tech - 1
Religious studies - 4
Biology - 3
Physics - 3
Chemistry - 2
geography - 2

I was thinking of taking a gcse 1 year program at a college near me which allows you to resit maths, english and science in June after 1 year of studying. Maybe if i take this, I can work really hard and do good, this would mean 1 year later, i could join a sixth form

That’s a great idea if you can get them done in a year . You’ve only got to take a look in the A level thread there’s loads retaking them for another year before they go to uni . It’s quite a common thing . Just try a wipe these results out of your mind and push on for a year
Reply 7
I got these results

Maths Higher - U
English Lit - 4
English lang - 5
Design and Tech - 1
Religious studies - 4
Biology - 3
Physics - 3
Chemistry - 2
geography - 2

What were you like in your mocks?
I got these results

Maths Higher - U
English Lit - 4
English lang - 5
Design and Tech - 1
Religious studies - 4
Biology - 3
Physics - 3
Chemistry - 2
geography - 2

The one year gcse program sounds like the right option for you. Work hard and then go get into sixth form! Massive good luck and best wishes to you. I know you can do it :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Scotney
What were you like in your mocks?

For my mocks i was predicted 5s and 6s. I know for a fact that i could have easily achieved 6 and 7s if i put in hard work, I am extremely bad when it comes to revising as i never get motivated enough to revise. I dont really have brothers and sisters so i am alone and have to do all the work alone. My mum passed away when i was 4 so i dont have help from her either. I honestly feel like a failure who doesnt know what to do next. I am just worried more about my dad than anything
Reply 10
Original post by lucywooldridge
The one year gcse program sounds like the right option for you. Work hard and then go get into sixth form! Massive good luck and best wishes to you. I know you can do it :smile:

Thank you so much for the support
For my mocks i was predicted 5s and 6s. I know for a fact that i could have easily achieved 6 and 7s if i put in hard work, I am extremely bad when it comes to revising as i never get motivated enough to revise. I dont really have brothers and sisters so i am alone and have to do all the work alone. My mum passed away when i was 4 so i dont have help from her either. I honestly feel like a failure who doesnt know what to do next. I am just worried more about my dad than anything

Is there a reason you did not work for your exams.Do you like academic work or is there another issue?
Reply 12
Original post by Scotney
Is there a reason you did not work for your exams.Do you like academic work or is there another issue?

I believe that games were my biggest distraction but there are also things such as I have to help my dad with his work sometimes but i dont think thats a big deal. I believe the main reason I didnt revise is because of the distraction of games. My dad did take away most of my gaming tools but i still had my phone which i believe was a big distraction. Also, I cannot motivate myself to revise for some reason, I just find it really hard.

Please advise me on what I can do next. It would be greatly appreciated
I believe that games were my biggest distraction but there are also things such as I have to help my dad with his work sometimes but i dont think thats a big deal. I believe the main reason I didnt revise is because of the distraction of games. My dad did take away most of my gaming tools but i still had my phone which i believe was a big distraction. Also, I cannot motivate myself to revise for some reason, I just find it really hard.

Please advise me on what I can do next. It would be greatly appreciated

Well it is up to you really.Do you think you will do any better if you resit or do you think you should do something else like plumbing or bricklaying.

Quick Reply

Latest