Scroll to see replies

Some boroughs in London help out with costs if you are 16-19
Reply 2
I live outside london, and yeah I am 16
Original post by Anonymous
I live outside london, and yeah I am 16

You can check on here https://www.gov.uk/subsidised-college-transport-16-19
Search 16-19 subsidised travel
Look for the offers your local passenger transport executive gives. For example, West Yorkshire gives 50% discount to under 19s (including on season tickets).

Also if you take two trains, look at split ticketing. Even for season tickets this can be effective. Zone tickets, too. If you're in an area with cities, there will likely be a city-wide or county-wide ticket available

But if your travel takes you across a county boundary, you're screwed unfortunately. None of these things will apply.
Reply 6
No its still in the same county, I am looking right now at this SEND over 16 thing. what are the requirements?
No its still in the same county, I am looking right now at this SEND over 16 thing. what are the requirements?

What county PTE/government is doing it? You're best off looking at it's website, it'll explain everything you need to know. I haven't heard of it so it's presumably not a county near me, but if it works anything like west yorks' M cards, or greater manchester's igo cards, then you'll probably just have to apply for it online. A card will come which will then give you either a discount on fares, or loadable weekly tickets. Don't quote me on this though, each county is different
Reply 8
https://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/educationandlearning/schools/transport/strategy/download/

I am 16 atm, my sixth form I will attend takes 30 minutes to get to on train
Not sure about that scheme, but in east sussex you can get discounted rail reason tickets with the sussex student card, when you buy the tickets online.

https://www.c360.org.uk/travel/publictransport/traindiscounts

A few sections down
Also enter your two stations here, choose weekly/monthly, choose child (the first section of that website gives you half fare season tickets) and this will give you prices

http://vt.nationalrail.co.uk/service/seasonticket/search
My family are on low income, I am barely affording these tickets even discounted rate .I am so stuck, I want a brighter future
In that case then I'm not sure. Buses are often cheaper, if its possible to get the bus.

Also it's common for colleges to offer bursaries of up to £20 per week to low income students- look into this ASAP, call the college or check their website
Can’t your college provide a travel bursary? Ik the college I went to did but you could check with yours.
ugh cant afford it

When I was in college, I used a seasonal bus pass and the travel office subsidised 50% of the cost. I recently saw an advert for that college saying that they are now offering free travel. Maybe your college will have a similar scheme in place? It's worth looking to see what help you can get with travel.
Original post by SpaceDucks
When I was in college, I used a seasonal bus pass and the travel office subsidised 50% of the cost. I recently saw an advert for that college saying that they are now offering free travel. Maybe your college will have a similar scheme in place? It's worth looking to see what help you can get with travel.

Will people know I am on a bursary? and will this cover full travel cost? sorry I don't get money for food yet alone the travel cost
Will people know I am on a bursary? and will this cover full travel cost? sorry I don't get money for food yet alone the travel cost

If your college offers a bursary then it will likely be around £20 per week. This should be enough to cover 50% discounted weekly season tickets between any two stations in the same county.

And no, no one other than the relevant staff members would know you're on a bursary
Original post by MagnumKoishi
If your college offers a bursary then it will likely be around £20 per week. This should be enough to cover 50% discounted weekly season tickets between any two stations in the same county.

And no, no one other than the relevant staff members would know you're on a bursary

You mean £20 a week is what I would get to cover my costs? My day return is £11.25
You mean £20 a week is what I would get to cover my costs? My day return is £11.25

Season tickets will reduce that quite a bit
Original post by MagnumKoishi
Season tickets will reduce that quite a bit

I will try and apply for this bursary, ontop of that can I get anything else to cover this cost? I need to travel to school to get my education, so that in future I can help my parents who are struggling.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending