Ministry of justice legal advisor interview

Watch
username907476
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Good morning, I am due to attend an interview with legal scenario for a trainee advisor role. I was wondering if anyone had completed one and what type scenario it is? Just try to prep. Thank you
LDLaw
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LDLaw)
Hi, I’m due to attend the same interview, just wondering if you’ve gone though the process already? What was it like if you have?
Hi, I’m due to attend the same interview, just wondering if you’ve gone though the process already? What was it like if you have?
Kessler`
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you want a realistic approach to a scenario in which you must advise the magistrates, and you want to really show that you are ready for the job, you must wait until the Defence advocate starts speaking then begin sighing loudly as he makes any submissions, tutting and shaking your head at intervals. Then you must openly advise the magistrates that this Defendant 'has a history' with the courts and invite them to retire noting that "when" they need you, they should give the 'usual signal'". When they inevitably ask for you to assist them in deliberations, you must go back and either tell them that they simply MUST convict or, depending on the situation, do the opposite of what the Defence advocate was seeking. If the Magistrates disagree or express confusion you must insist that "this is the way the law works" and invite them to complain if they think you are exceeding your remit. You are, you will remind them with a sweet smile, 'simply there to help'...

However, you should then idly let it drop that, by the way your Workships, were they aware of the recent communique from the Lord Chancellor's office that those Magistrates with high levels of complaints (and/or those considered 'unreliable') would be reshuffled. This would mean, of couse, that in addition to having fewer days sitting and passing judgemnt on their fellow citizens they will not receive invites to sit on appeals at the Crown Court and enjoy the judge's hospitality at lunch.

This, for the vast majority of mags, is the Holy Grail of the job and jealously guarded by magistrates who see this as the crowning achievement in their social careers/campaigns. I speak the true-true. Once the interviewing board see your performance and listen to your explanation, you shall be HIRED ON THE SPOT!

Seriously, my bitterness aside (I've had a bad experience this week in that particular court), good luck with your interview. They will be looking for the ability to impartially advise on complex legal issues by reducing them in to easy-to-understand bitesize chunks that a 13yo would understand. You must stress that you are not there to make the decisions on fact, or even the law. You are simply there to set the framework within which the Magistrates can exercise their powers. The key phrase to keep repeating is: "I'm there to ensure the proper and proportionate administration of justice". Oh, and just in case you needed telling, my 'advice' above is NOT to be followed
LDLaw
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kessler`)
If you want a realistic approach to a scenario in which you must advise the magistrates, and you want to really show that you are ready for the job, you must wait until the Defence advocate starts speaking then begin sighing loudly as he makes any submissions, tutting and shaking your head at intervals. Then you must openly advise the magistrates that this Defendant 'has a history' with the courts and invite them to retire noting that "when" they need you, they should give the 'usual signal'". When they inevitably ask for you to assist them in deliberations, you must go back and either tell them that they simply MUST convict or, depending on the situation, do the opposite of what the Defence advocate was seeking. If the Magistrates disagree or express confusion you must insist that "this is the way the law works" and invite them to complain if they think you are exceeding your remit. You are, you will remind them with a sweet smile, 'simply there to help'...

However, you should then idly let it drop that, by the way your Workships, were they aware of the recent communique from the Lord Chancellor's office that those Magistrates with high levels of complaints (and/or those considered 'unreliable') would be reshuffled. This would mean, of couse, that in addition to having fewer days sitting and passing judgemnt on their fellow citizens they will not receive invites to sit on appeals at the Crown Court and enjoy the judge's hospitality at lunch.

This, for the vast majority of mags, is the Holy Grail of the job and jealously guarded by magistrates who see this as the crowning achievement in their social careers/campaigns. I speak the true-true. Once the interviewing board see your performance and listen to your explanation, you shall be HIRED ON THE SPOT!

Seriously, my bitterness aside (I've had a bad experience this week in that particular court), good luck with your interview. They will be looking for the ability to impartially advise on complex legal issues by reducing them in to easy-to-understand bitesize chunks that a 13yo would understand. You must stress that you are not there to make the decisions on fact, or even the law. You are simply there to set the framework within which the Magistrates can exercise their powers. The key phrase to keep repeating is: "I'm there to ensure the proper and proportionate administration of justice". Oh, and just in case you needed telling, my 'advice' above is NOT to be followed
Looool, I know a lot of lawyers don’t like the Mags for this reason and hope that you have a better experience next time you’re there. Thank you for the advice!
AshBashLaw
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LDLaw)
Hi,

I will be attending this interview soon and was wondering if you have any advise about the scenarios/ Qs?

Thank you.
LDLaw
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I decided to go for a different interview instead so didn’t attend. Goodluck with your interview, hopefully someone else may be able to respond with better advice, if not, check glass door reviews
sea01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi how was your interview/experience? Please tell me a little bit as I am attending for an interview tomorrow. Many thanks
LDLaw
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sea01)
Hi how was your interview/experience? Please tell me a little bit as I am attending for an interview tomorrow. Many thanks
See above
sea01
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AshBashLaw)
Hi,

I will be attending this interview soon and was wondering if you have any advise about the scenarios/ Qs?

Thank you.
AshBashLaw
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,I am due to do this interview soon and would appreciate any advise about the questions/ scenarios they asked you. Thank you!
AshBashLaw
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sea01)
Heya, sorry i am actually attending in a couple of weeks so wasn't able to help.

If you have any advice i would be very grateful.

Hope it went well
jazzi12345
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by username907476)
Good morning, I am due to attend an interview with legal scenario for a trainee advisor role. I was wondering if anyone had completed one and what type scenario it is? Just try to prep. Thank you
Hi, as I have the same interview this week so just wanted to know how yours went and the questions they asked you

Thank you
Joajay
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Has anyone received a response with the outcome of the interview. I attended this interview two months ago and haven’t heard anything back. I’m wondering if they have stopped recruiting because of coronavirus.
sea01
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
not yet. If they have completed the interview process for everyone, they should come back to us by end of this month.
sea01
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MaddisonKing)
Hiya,I received a response and I'm starting on 22nd June. My interview was way back in January though! Which court did you have your interview at?
Congratulations! I had my interview on 1st week of March at the City of London, still waiting for a response. Have you got feedback, what was your score on strength-based questions?
Joajay
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MaddisonKing)
Hiya,I received a response and I'm starting on 22nd June. My interview was way back in January though! Which court did you have your interview at?
Congrats!!!!!
Joajay
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sea01)
Congratulations! I had my interview on 1st week of March at the City of London, still waiting for a response. Have you got feedback, what was your score on strength-based questions?
I also had mine at city of London
Mz_ibs
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Joajay)
Has anyone received a response with the outcome of the interview. I attended this interview two months ago and haven’t heard anything back. I’m wondering if they have stopped recruiting because of coronavirus.
No not yet. I interviewed middle of April, which was meant to be the last day of interviews but they said because of the virus, they’re interviewing till the end of April and we should get a reply middle-end of May. So hopefully soon 🤞🏾
Joajay
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mz_ibs)
No not yet. I interviewed middle of April, which was meant to be the last day of interviews but they said because of the virus, they’re interviewing till the end of April and we should get a reply middle-end of May. So hopefully soon 🤞🏾
Thanks for replying. Was your interview in person or online if you don’t mind me asking?
Mz_ibs
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Joajay)
Thanks for replying. Was your interview in person or online if you don’t mind me asking?
Mine was online - video interview. I’m guessing you did yours in person? Since it was early March
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (5)
11.36%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (31)
70.45%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (6)
13.64%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (1)
2.27%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
2.27%

Watched Threads