geekygecko04
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So today I got my English Literature result, having completed the exam a year early. I was predicted an 8 but somehow managed to only get a 6. After reviewing all the things I could’ve done to improve my grade, I’m considering asking for a resit when we go back to school in 2 weeks. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I honestly feel that a level 6 is not a number that represents my skill level. I wouldn’t have to worry about funds for the resit, as it was the school’s own decision to put me through for the GCSE and they, because of this, are essentially to be held accountable for any grades that may not be as good as a pupil hoped (NOT blaming the school for my grade, that was a slip-up on my part!). I don’t currently want to peruse English in College or University, but I’ve always aimed high; Oxbridge high. English is such an essential subject and I’m worried that if I don’t get at least an A in English Lit, I might not be accepted to my dream universities in a few years. So basically here’s the question. Should I go for the resit and redo all of the torturous revision- and mostly, would it actually help!?
Monsur x
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Noooo donttt
6 is completely fine in Eng Lit
And it’s Eng Lang that matters more!
Universities ask specifically for maths and Eng Lsng grades
U don’t not need higher it Lit dwww
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As above, it's English language which is considered "essential" - because it's a literacy indicator (at least the government likes to think it is, which is why GCSE Maths and English at grade C or higher for the population is a target for them). If you aren't planning to do a literary course, there's not a great deal of reason to resit it generally. Cambridge don't really care about GCSEs much at all.

If you specifically wanted to apply to Oxford for something then it could be worth considering resitting to boost your overall GCSE grade profile, since that is something they will consider - but they don't care about that individual subject. However for some degree subjects (e.g. maths) GCSEs are less important at Oxford, and for most if not all, good performance in the relevant pre-interview assessment (e.g. PAT, MAT, TSA, etc) usually can ameliorate poorer GCSEs.

Although resitting it might encourage you to appreciate the importance of paragraphing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (110)
27.99%
No - I have already returned home (51)
12.98%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (78)
19.85%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
9.92%
No - I live at home during term anyway (115)
29.26%

Watched Threads