MrMello
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I'm soon to begin year 12, I've recently finished my GCSEs and i wanted to ask something that I've had in my mind. I did foundation maths and got the highest I could get which was a 5, however, I could've done higher maths if I actually paid attention in class however I was always lazy. I only started trying as GCSEs were approaching. I do regret it now as I need that 6 in GCSE to do computer science in unix as it's what I want to do in the future and I won't be able to get into good unis without it. I currently need advice and if i should try and ask my teachers to let me retake maths and do higher maths. I now i've messed up and it's pretty late but i need advice.
roastedsammy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You definitely have not messed up.
Have you tried talking to the head of the IT department, or your future teacher and outlining the circumstances to them? I'm sure they would be willing to make an exception if you can show them that you achieved the highest possible grade. As for retaking a year, I'm not sure that it's completely worth it. Instead you could either just apply for the resits in November or alternatively ask your teachers to facilitate a internally assessed exam. However, as I did higher tier I wouldn't be able to accurately say, but I know of people who went from foundation to higher with a very small learning curve (someone I know went from a 5 in foundation to a 7 in higher!), however I also know people who immensely struggled with adapting to higher tier.

So I guess it's down to whether you believe in your ability, and by the looks of it, you're more than capable of smashing higher tier!

Anyway, my advice would be to first consult your future teacher/HoD, and then go through potential options with them.

I hope it all works out well!
MrMello
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
ahh okay thank you, yeah that's what i meant by taking November resits for higher maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.35%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.1%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
17.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (64)
26.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed