Can I do Further Maths with a Grade 8? Watch

roastedsammy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey guys,

So during the exams I was ill during the time from Maths Paper 2 and 3.
During year 11 and 10 I would consistently get a Grade 9 in maths (in the mocks, with usually around 210-220 marks) and I was always set on doing further maths as it is something I've always loved.

However, yesterday I received my results and i'm a little disappointed. I had expected a much lower result due to my illness but I had still hoped for a Grade 9. Basically I got a Grade 8 with 195 marks (Paper 1: 74/80, Paper 2:61/80, Paper 3:60/80) and after going through Paper 2 and 3, the amount of mistakes I did was, well, shocking. Just sloppy errors alone accounted for a loss of 15 marks.

Now I'm so conflicted as to whether I'm fit to do Further Maths - or if my own incompetence will hold me back.

I guess I would just like to know whether any Further Maths students on here got a grade 8 and still managed to get a good final grade, or whether there is a large gap between students with a Grade 8 or 9 in the classroom.
So when I say 'can I do' I probably mean, 'can I achieve a good final grade'.

Thanks a lot if anyone answers.
Last edited by roastedsammy; 4 weeks ago
lemmens
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by roastedsammy)
Hey guys,

During year 11 and 10 I would consistently get a Grade 9 in maths (in the mocks, with usually around 210-220 marks) and I was always set on doing further maths as it is something I've always loved.

However, yesterday I received my results and i'm a little disappointed. I had expected a much lower result due to my illness but I had still hoped for a Grade 9. Basically I got a Grade 8 with 195 marks (Paper 1: 74/80, Paper 2:61/80, Paper 3:60/80) and after going through Paper 2 and 3, the amount of mistakes I did was, well, shocking. Just sloppy errors alone accounted for a loss of 15 marks.

Now I'm so contrived as to whether I'm fit to do Further Maths - or if my own incompetence will hold me back.

I guess I would just like to know whether any Further Maths students on here got a grade 8 and still managed to get a good final grade, or whether there is a large gap between students with a Grade 8 or 9 in the classroom.

Hi, first of all congratulations on your result, it’s an A* and is amazing especially considering that you were ill. The fact that you’ve been consistently getting 8/9 grades is enough to tell me that you’ll do just fine with further maths.

My friend does further with me and he got a grade 8 at GCSE also. He just got an A in the AS exam (the highest you can get) whilst someone else who got a 9 at GCSE got a C. Further maths at A-level is very difficult and whilst you have to have a natural flair for maths to get the top grades (which you do with an 8, especially when ill), it is very much dependent on how hard you work. So the fact that you really enjoy maths and are passionate for it is the main thing here. You can achieve a good final grade considering that you put in the effort, time and work.

That being said, it’s very interesting and if you love maths, you’ll love this. It fast became my favourite subject!! If you have any more questions about it or A-levels in general, I’m happy to help where I can
TngHic
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey guys,

Now I'm so contrived as to whether I'm fit to do Further Maths - or if my own incompetence will hold me back.

you said yourself you're a grade 9 student. You were ill and lost marks. thats the same for anyone, period. Everyone if they're sick will make lots of mistakes, frankly you're lucky you only made 15. Even fully healthy people will make mistakes, even the grade 9 ones will have made odd mistakes here and there.

Whats important to note is that you only need a 7 to do further maths at A level, or atleast where im at. So being a grade 8? of course you can do it, and if you consistently get 9's when your not sick. Your not even a grade 8 student, your a grade 9 one so why wouldn't you go for it?
roastedsammy
Rep:
?
(Original post by lemmens)
Hi, first of all congratulations on your result, it’s an A* and is amazing especially considering that you were ill. The fact that you’ve been consistently getting 8/9 grades is enough to tell me that you’ll do just fine with further maths.

My friend does further with me and he got a grade 8 at GCSE also. He just got an A in the AS exam (the highest you can get) whilst someone else who got a 9 at GCSE got a C. Further maths at A-level is very difficult and whilst you have to have a natural flair for maths to get the top grades (which you do with an 8, especially when ill), it is very much dependent on how hard you work. So the fact that you really enjoy maths and are passionate for it is the main thing here. You can achieve a good final grade considering that you put in the effort, time and work.

That being said, it’s very interesting and if you love maths, you’ll love this. It fast became my favourite subject!! If you have any more questions about it or A-levels in general, I’m happy to help where I can
Thanks a lot for this.

I was just pretty disheartened by it because of the extenuating circumstances, but moreover, I had some incredibly toxic teachers who - in no uncertain terms - told me they were disappointed by my result which obviously made me spiral downhill.

You’re answer was very helpful though, so I appreciate it
roastedsammy
Rep:
?
(Original post by TngHic)
you said yourself you're a grade 9 student. You were ill and lost marks. thats the same for anyone, period. Everyone if they're sick will make lots of mistakes, frankly you're lucky you only made 15. Even fully healthy people will make mistakes, even the grade 9 ones will have made odd mistakes here and there.

Whats important to note is that you only need a 7 to do further maths at A level, or atleast where im at. So being a grade 8? of course you can do it, and if you consistently get 9's when your not sick. Your not even a grade 8 student, your a grade 9 one so why wouldn't you go for it?
Thanks for replying

I guess you’re right, and all the pressure I put on myself for being ill probably didn’t help. I’ll just try my hardest during sixth form.

Thanks for answering
DoIce
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks for replying

I guess you’re right, and all the pressure I put on myself for being ill probably didn’t help. I’ll just try my hardest during sixth form.

Thanks for answering
Also to add, you were 3 marks from the grade 9 boundary so definitely take further maths
Anonymous_guy011
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just want to say that an 8 is still an A* lol well done. Another thing, I have friends that were grade 9 students but got grade 8s in the end and they are smashing Further maths. 100% do it if you know your capable, which your grade definitely does.
lemmens
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks a lot for this.

I was just pretty disheartened by it because of the extenuating circumstances, but moreover, I had some incredibly toxic teachers who - in no uncertain terms - told me they were disappointed by my result which obviously made me spiral downhill.

You’re answer was very helpful though, so I appreciate it
That’s awful, please don’t take what they said to you to heart. An 8 is an outstanding grade anyway and Oxbridge state on their website that they class an 8 and 9 as the same grade. I understand why you’d be a little disheartened though and that’s okay.

Just focus on your A-levels now, and you’re more than capable of succeeding in further maths to a very high standard. No worries at all!! Best of luck and I hope you’re enjoying your summer
roastedsammy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous_guy011)
Just want to say that an 8 is still an A* lol well done. Another thing, I have friends that were grade 9 students but got grade 8s in the end and they are smashing Further maths. 100% do it if you know your capable, which your grade definitely does.
Thanks a lot for the help, i’ve just been unnecessarily doubting myself recently - this was helpful though.
roastedsammy
Rep:
?
That’s awful, please don’t take what they said to you to heart. An 8 is an outstanding grade anyway and Oxbridge state on their website that they class an 8 and 9 as the same grade. I understand why you’d be a little disheartened though and that’s okay.

Just focus on your A-levels now, and you’re more than capable of succeeding in further maths to a very high standard. No worries at all!! Best of luck and I hope you’re enjoying your summer
Okay wow you’ve motivated me. If you don’t mind me asking, which subjects did you take for A-levels?
lemmens
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Okay wow you’ve motivated me. If you don’t mind me asking, which subjects did you take for A-levels?
I’m really happy to hear that Of course not, I took maths, further, physics, chemistry and EPQ so if you have any questions about them I’m more than happy to help where I can.
UrbanIncentive
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey guys,

Y12 student here (btw did normal A level maths, not FM).

Hi there. Last year I was also quite disappointed my maths grade and got an 8. In the end I was happy with it, especially because my teacher predicted me a 9 (which also happened for quite a few grade 9 students as well). But in the end, whilst I only took normal A Level maths - I am consistently one of the top in my year and I've never looked back really. Don't think of this being a setback, because it's clearly not. You have a great aptitude for maths (just by looking at your paper 1 mark). Maths will be a subject where your grades may vary around the A/A* or 8/9 mark, and its not really that big a deal. You've proved to yourself that you can take it and your maths grade would be more than good enough to take another maths-heavy subject like physics/comp sci.

When it comes to maths a level (though I'm not sure about FM), it will be quite hard at first but as long as you work hard, that A* you will hopefully get at the end of y13 will be all the more worth it and you'll think "why was I upset with an 8?"

Let me know if you need any more help/advice.
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey guys,

It sounds like you have good GCSE foundations required to do further maths. Whether you’ll do well in it or struggle is an unknown right now but your starting point is fine.
roastedsammy
Rep:
?
(Original post by UrbanIncentive)
Y12 student here (btw did normal A level maths, not FM).

Hi there. Last year I was also quite disappointed my maths grade and got an 8. In the end I was happy with it, especially because my teacher predicted me a 9 (which also happened for quite a few grade 9 students as well). But in the end, whilst I only took normal A Level maths - I am consistently one of the top in my year and I've never looked back really. Don't think of this being a setback, because it's clearly not. You have a great aptitude for maths (just by looking at your paper 1 mark). Maths will be a subject where your grades may vary around the A/A* or 8/9 mark, and its not really that big a deal. You've proved to yourself that you can take it and your maths grade would be more than good enough to take another maths-heavy subject like physics/comp sci.

When it comes to maths a level (though I'm not sure about FM), it will be quite hard at first but as long as you work hard, that A* you will hopefully get at the end of y13 will be all the more worth it and you'll think "why was I upset with an 8?"

Let me know if you need any more help/advice.
Hey, thanks for replying.

How hard did you find the jump from GCSE? Or how long did it take for you to adapt?
I know my Sixth Form does an aptitude test practically as soon as the term starts just to see where we are ability wise, and I was wondering whether they’ll just test us on GCSE topics or also some more A-level based topics, did you have to do something similar?

Thanks a lot
roastedsammy
Rep:
?
I’m really happy to hear that Of course not, I took maths, further, physics, chemistry and EPQ so if you have any questions about them I’m more than happy to help where I can.
Ahhhh i’m really conflicted about doing an EPQ. I’m taking Maths, FM, Physics and Philosophy and then i’m considering an EPQ. Did you find it easy to balance work load? Or was there ever a point where you felt there was an excessive amount of work due to the EPQ?
UrbanIncentive
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey, thanks for replying.

How hard did you find the jump from GCSE? Or how long did it take for you to adapt?
I know my Sixth Form does an aptitude test practically as soon as the term starts just to see where we are ability wise, and I was wondering whether they’ll just test us on GCSE topics or also some more A-level based topics, did you have to do something similar?

Thanks a lot
Tbh at the start at Y12, it was quite a mess around at school - and I didn't properly focus until a few weeks in but nevertheless, in the first few weeks of maths - it was mainly adapting and recapping GCSE stuff. One thing that was quite intimidating/weird that I saw in the first few weeks was a topic called 'binomial expansion' and I was thinking "what have I got myself into ?" but I quickly picked up the pace. My school uses something called integral maths which was quite useful, and Mymaths which you may have heard of. I do AQA maths so we use the OUP Kerboodle textbook which as a 'bridging unit' and step-up sheets which are good to use. Tbh AS maths is not hard as long as you properly engage with the questions/theory and then all will become repetitive. A2 maths, I can't speak for but someone on TSR will probably pop up. For pure maths, its just the next step up and you'll be introduced to new topics like differentiation/integration which will later be applied in mechanics. I loved mechanics tbh.

Sorry for going off-topic, but yes my school also had a baseline test and it was standard (just applying some of the skills gained at GCSE) and this made sure we could handle the course. It was easy, and I'm sure you'll be completely fine with your one as well. A-level maths is just about practice and not giving up when it seems hard. FM is the next step up so I can't comment but I know that people handled the change moderately OK.

Also a useful thing is to start building up maths related resources, like practice sheets and past papers on your computer so whenever you need them you can access them quickly and not have to hunt down Google at 10pm for them. Physics and maths tutor has very good resources and also MME (maths made easy).
roastedsammy
Rep:
?
(Original post by UrbanIncentive)
Tbh at the start at Y12, it was quite a mess around at school - and I didn't properly focus until a few weeks in but nevertheless, in the first few weeks of maths - it was mainly adapting and recapping GCSE stuff. One thing that was quite intimidating/weird that I saw in the first few weeks was a topic called 'binomial expansion' and I was thinking "what have I got myself into ?" but I quickly picked up the pace. My school uses something called integral maths which was quite useful, and Mymaths which you may have heard of. I do AQA maths so we use the OUP Kerboodle textbook which as a 'bridging unit' and step-up sheets which are good to use. Tbh AS maths is not hard as long as you properly engage with the questions/theory and then all will become repetitive. A2 maths, I can't speak for but someone on TSR will probably pop up. For pure maths, its just the next step up and you'll be introduced to new topics like differentiation/integration which will later be applied in mechanics. I loved mechanics tbh.

Sorry for going off-topic, but yes my school also had a baseline test and it was standard (just applying some of the skills gained at GCSE) and this made sure we could handle the course. It was easy, and I'm sure you'll be completely fine with your one as well. A-level maths is just about practice and not giving up when it seems hard. FM is the next step up so I can't comment but I know that people handled the change moderately OK.

Also a useful thing is to start building up maths related resources, like practice sheets and past papers on your computer so whenever you need them you can access them quickly and not have to hunt down Google at 10pm for them. Physics and maths tutor has very good resources and also MME (maths made easy).
That sounds extremely positive! Honestly, I didn’t revise at all for a lot of my GCSE subjects because I despised them - but I still somehow managed to get good grades which is baffling. Instead, I would research and learn about the subjects i’m doing for A-Level now (a pretty risky tactic i know :0) so i’m hoping i’ve managed to slightly dampen the step up for Further Maths.
It’s weird to say but i’m genuinely excited about the prospect of going to school and learning about subjects i’m interested in.

Let’s just hope it all turns out good.

And I think the Sixth Form i’m going to has MyMaths and possibly uses integral maths but I will have to double check.
Rae5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey guys,

How do you know your exact marks? I got my results yesterday but I am unsure what marks I got on any exam
roastedsammy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rae5)
How do you know your exact marks? I got my results yesterday but I am unsure what marks I got on any exam
Hey,
If you do Edexcel maths you can request an online PDF format copy of your papers for free from your school’s exams office. I think for other exam boards it’s around £10 per paper.

I would suggest to only request if you are unsure whether to apply for a remark or if it is a subject which you are doing as an A-Level.

Be warned though, if you made any silly mistakes - I promise you, you will hate yourself.
Rae5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey,
If you do Edexcel maths you can request an online PDF format copy of your papers for free from your school’s exams office. I think for other exam boards it’s around £10 per paper.

I would suggest to only request if you are unsure whether to apply for a remark or if it is a subject which you are doing as an A-Level.

Be warned though, if you made any silly mistakes - I promise you, you will hate yourself.
Oh thanks! I didn’t want the marks I was just worried I’d maybe lost a piece of paper with my marks on but I’m relieved I didn’t misplace anything. I also got an 8 in maths and I am planning on doing maths, chemistry, physics and further maths I just hope I’m prepared for the work load
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (9)
8.91%
Disagree (5)
4.95%
Neither agree or disagree (32)
31.68%
Agree (40)
39.6%
Strongly Agree (15)
14.85%

Watched Threads