Need help deciding if it’s best to resist gcse maths even though I got a pass Watch

Chowdhury_user
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I just got my gcse results back and I’m not sure if it’s a good decision to resist maths as I only got a 5 during gcses and want to go into medicine. My other grades are :
English lit -7
English language- 8
Double science - 66
Religious Studies - 9
Art - 7
French -6
History - 7
musicaholic13
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Chowdhury_user)
I just got my gcse results back and I’m not sure if it’s a good decision to resist maths as I only got a 5 during gcses and want to go into medicine. My other grades are :
English lit -7
English language- 8
Double science - 66
Religious Studies - 9
Art - 7
French -6
History - 7
Hey there!
First off, are you studying maths A level? A lot of the foundation for maths A level is based on GCSE material so it could be really helpful is you resit maths to make sure you know your stuff well.
Second, do you have any particular universities in mind that you want to go to in the future? If so, check their entry requirements for GCSEs, usually a pass in maths is fine, but I don't know if it's higher for medicine. Also if it is a very competitive university (for example, Oxbridge) then it might be worth getting a higher grade even if the minimum requirement is just a pass.
I think in the long run, there's no harm in resitting your maths GCSE. The only reason I wouldn't resit it is if you think it will affect your A levels by giving you more workload and stress. However, the resits are in November so it would only be clashing with your A level studies for one month, so it should be worth it.
Also make sure you talk to your teachers and ask for advice!
Hope this helps
Chowdhury_user
Rep:
?
(Original post by musicaholic13)
Hey there!
First off, are you studying maths A level? A lot of the foundation for maths A level is based on GCSE material so it could be really helpful is you resit maths to make sure you know your stuff well.
Second, do you have any particular universities in mind that you want to go to in the future? If so, check their entry requirements for GCSEs, usually a pass in maths is fine, but I don't know if it's higher for medicine. Also if it is a very competitive university (for example, Oxbridge) then it might be worth getting a higher grade even if the minimum requirement is just a pass.
I think in the long run, there's no harm in resitting your maths GCSE. The only reason I wouldn't resit it is if you think it will affect your A levels by giving you more workload and stress. However, the resits are in November so it would only be clashing with your A level studies for one month, so it should be worth it.
Also make sure you talk to your teachers and ask for advice!
Hope this helps
Hi thanks for the quick response. I don’t think it would be good to take A level maths since I didn’t do so well in gcses but that said I know I could resist and have a good chance of getting a higher grade. I did talk to a few teachers and they did mention the fact that universities don’t favour students who resit gcse subjects and are more likely to be rejected. My a level choices are Psychology, biology and chemistry.
Aboy44
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi thanks for the quick response. I don’t think it would be good to take A level maths since I didn’t do so well in gcses but that said I know I could resist and have a good chance of getting a higher grade. I did talk to a few teachers and they did mention the fact that universities don’t favour students who resit gcse subjects and are more likely to be rejected. My a level choices are Psychology, biology and chemistry.
Hey bro I’m in a bad situation currently as I have failed gcse maths but passed everything. Could u suggest any resources websites etc that would like help for maths revision as I have to resist in November
Thanks in advance
Huckipity
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
English lit -7
English language- 8
Double science - 66
Religious Studies - 9
Art - 7
French -6
History - 7
Medicine requires at least a 6 in Maths so you'll need to retake it to even meet the requirements of med school. However, some (not all) med schools don't allow resits so you've already limited your options by around half. Secondly, your science grades aren't amazing, and A level builds on top of gcse concepts, so if you don't have a solid foundation you're going to struggle massively. It would be in your best interest to fix any knowledge gaps in science before A levels start so you can do as well as possible and be a competitive applicant in medicine. Although, with a 5 in Maths I doubt any college would allow you to study a science for A level as they all require an element of maths, more so in Chemistry and Physics. For example in my school you require a 6 in maths to do any science A level, but it may differ. You need to focus on somehow convincing your college to allow you to do science A levels and then perform really well in them. If I'm being brutally honest you've made it quite difficult for yourself as your other grades are great, but Maths and science are what matter the most when applying for medicine so you'll struggle.
Chowdhury_user
Rep:
?
Hi, thanks for the honest advice. So far I talked to my sixth form about the whole situation and I’ve been accepted into biology and psychology. I do believe I could have a chance of getting into chemistry bc the school already knows that I work hard and have an academic mindset. I did try in maths even if my grades don’t show it and I hope they understand that I know the stress and workload of a levels. I’m prepared to put in the extra work and already began in the holidays
(Original post by Huckipity)
Medicine requires at least a 6 in Maths so you'll need to retake it to even meet the requirements of med school. However, some (not all) med schools don't allow resits so you've already limited your options by around half. Secondly, your science grades aren't amazing, and A level builds on top of gcse concepts, so if you don't have a solid foundation you're going to struggle massively. It would be in your best interest to fix any knowledge gaps in science before A levels start so you can do as well as possible and be a competitive applicant in medicine. Although, with a 5 in Maths I doubt any college would allow you to study a science for A level as they all require an element of maths, more so in Chemistry and Physics. For example in my school you require a 6 in maths to do any science A level, but it may differ. You need to focus on somehow convincing your college to allow you to do science A levels and then perform really well in them. If I'm being brutally honest you've made it quite difficult for yourself as your other grades are great, but Maths and science are what matter the most when applying for medicine so you'll struggle.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Given your science and Maths grades it appears your talents lie elsewhere. It is highly unlikely you are going to achieve the kind of results at A level required for medicine. Working hard isnt enough. You need the natural ability as well. Forget looking at medicine and look at taking humanities subjects like English Religious studies and History at which you excel.
Dancer2001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
With those a levels, it is definitely worth resitting maths. The gcse maths work will really help you for chemistry and psychology.
Chowdhury_user
Rep:
?
Thanks for the response. I was wondering if there is any career paths if I chose English lit, history and psychology as I’d prefer to set a goal to keep me motivated. Just a list of potential jobs or paths would be really helpful. Thanks again.
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Given your science and Maths grades it appears your talents lie elsewhere. It is highly unlikely you are going to achieve the kind of results at A level required for medicine. Working hard isnt enough. You need the natural ability as well. Forget looking at medicine and look at taking humanities subjects like English Religious studies and History at which you excel.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks for the response. I was wondering if there is any career paths if I chose English lit, history and psychology as I’d prefer to set a goal to keep me motivated. Just a list of potential jobs or paths would be really helpful. Thanks again.
There would be many career paths. Examples being law, librarianship, journalism, teaching, civil service, marketing etc. There are loads of different careers. Possibly Psychology might not be your best option as it involves Maths. How about Law, Politics, Sociology, classical civilisation instead. Have a word with your careers adviser or your school who might be able to give you fuller advice. Given your gcse grade how about RS. You seem excellent at that.
Last edited by swanseajack1; 4 weeks ago
Chowdhury_user
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
There would be many career paths. Examples being law, librarianship, journalism, teaching, civil service, marketing etc. There are loads of different careers. Possibly Psychology might not be your best option as it involves Maths. How about Law, Politics, Sociology, classical civilisation instead. Have a word with your careers adviser or your school who might be able to give you fuller advice. Given your gcse grade how about RS. You seem excellent at that.
My sixth form offer a small amount of a levels and unfortunately do not offer law, politics, sociology or religious studies at sixth form. Therefore I made the choice that due to the fact I’m interested in psychology I would take it. I’m not completely terrible at maths and seem to do better when it’s not exams which is annoying. The other reason behind taking psychology is that I’m not really interested in the other subjects compared to psychology.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
My sixth form offer a small amount of a levels and unfortunately do not offer law, politics, sociology or religious studies at sixth form. Therefore I made the choice that due to the fact I’m interested in psychology I would take it. I’m not completely terrible at maths and seem to do better when it’s not exams which is annoying. The other reason behind taking psychology is that I’m not really interested in the other subjects compared to psychology.
Given how good you are at RS have you considered going to another sixth form or college. It seems a waste of your talent not to be taking a subject you really excel at.
Chowdhury_user
Rep:
?
Given how good you are at RS have you considered going to another sixth form or college. It seems a waste of your talent not to be taking a subject you really excel at.
There aren’t a lot of sixth forms in my area and the closest one is 30 mins away. I’d be happy to make that journey however when visiting this particular sixth form I felt really uncomfortable and felt I wouldn’t do my best if I needed support from the teachers. Whereas the sixth form I’m applying to are familiar with me and genuinely have my best interests in mind. Also when thinking about future paths they can provide a powerful letter of recommendation as they know me personally.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
There aren’t a lot of sixth forms in my area and the closest one is 30 mins away. I’d be happy to make that journey however when visiting this particular sixth form I felt really uncomfortable and felt I wouldn’t do my best if I needed support from the teachers. Whereas the sixth form I’m applying to are familiar with me and genuinely have my best interests in mind. Also when thinking about future paths they can provide a powerful letter of recommendation as they know me personally.
They dont have your best interest in mind. They have the school's interest in mind. That is why they are not offering RS. Because they dont have enough numbers they are not offering RS. They are doing that in the school's interest not yours. However given your travel difficulties I can understand your reluctance to go elsewhere. Is there a 6th form college near you.
Chowdhury_user
Rep:
?
They dont have your best interest in mind. They have the school's interest in mind. That is why they are not offering RS. Because they dont have enough numbers they are not offering RS. They are doing that in the school's interest not yours. However given your travel difficulties I can understand your reluctance to go elsewhere. Is there a 6th form college near you.
I know not a lot of students don’t like to take rs studies and only 30 did rs in my year group so it made sense that there wouldn’t be enough students for sixth form to take rs. There is a college but it’s not a sixth form so idk if they would do a levels
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I know not a lot of students don’t like to take rs studies and only 30 did rs in my year group so it made sense that there wouldn’t be enough students for sixth form to take rs. There is a college but it’s not a sixth form so idk if they would do a levels
School sixth forms generally are quite small and are therefore unable to offer the range of subjects. Someone on here recently couldnt do Physics. My personal view is if schools cannot offer at least a basic acceptable range they shouldnt have a 6th form. That should include RS and Physics as well as well as English, History, Geography, Maths, Chemistry, Computer Science and Biology. I can understand that they probably might not be able to offer subjects like Geology and Classical Civilisation but they should offer the basics. By not offering RS they are preventing you from taking a subject you appear likely to get a very good grade at. This is a school putting its interest before yours. You could contact the college to see what they offer. The most important issue is you achieve good results to get you into university.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (9)
8.82%
Disagree (5)
4.9%
Neither agree or disagree (32)
31.37%
Agree (40)
39.22%
Strongly Agree (16)
15.69%

Watched Threads