The Student Room Group

Am I Cambridge material?

I know Cambridge don’t look at your GCSEs much and it is more heavily based on your A levels results and predictions. However if I got 9x grade 7 and above out of 10 GCSEs, would that be considered Cambridge Material.
Original post by AHB54321
I know Cambridge don’t look at your GCSEs much and it is more heavily based on your A levels results and predictions. However if I got 9x grade 7 and above out of 10 GCSEs, would that be considered Cambridge Material.

Hey, I've just gotten my GCSEs too and the only thing I can tell you is that your GCSEs don't really give much of an indication of being 'Cambridge Material'. Yes, getting top GCSE grades can indicate (most of the time) that a person has the ability to work hard and that certainly is a quality that universities like Cambridge are looking for. However, Cambridge wants people who are unique. They want people that are a little different, that stick out from the rest. Everyone who applies there will have top grades - they wouldn't get an interview otherwise - but from then on you need to differentiate yourself from the rest. Cambridge material, from what I understand, is someone who is yes, hard working and intelligent, but also someone who has passion for what they want to do. They want someone who is well rounded and has their foot in a multitude of different activities other than simply sitting down and studying. Your GCSE grades are amazing and congratulations for that - make that hard working quality the driving force for the next two years. But I'd say, if you don't already have something that will distinguish you from the rest, make looking for that *something* a focus too.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by sigma_108
Hey, I've just gotten my GCSEs too and the only thing I can tell you is that your GCSEs don't really give much of an indication of being 'Cambridge Material'. Yes, getting top GCSE grades can indicate (most of the time) that a person has the ability to work hard and that certainly is a quality that universities like Cambridge are looking for. However, Cambridge wants people who are unique. They want people that are a little different, that stick out from the rest. Everyone who applies there will have top grades - they wouldn't get an interview otherwise - but from then on you need to differentiate yourself from the rest. Cambridge material, from what I understand, is someone who is yes, hard working and intelligent, but also someone who has passion for what they want to do. They want someone who is well rounded and has their foot in a multitude of different activities other than simply sitting down and studying. Your GCSE grades are amazing and congratulations for that - make that hard working quality the driving force for the next two years. But I'd say, if you don't already have something that will distinguish you from the rest, make looking for that *something* a focus too.

Good luck :smile:

Agreed almost 100% - but can I add, "a multitude of different subject-related activities". So if you're a maths applicant you want to be doing stuff like maths challenge, reading journals, attending lectures, etc., and if you're in for HSPS then debating, youth parliament, model United Nations, etc. Something like Grade 8 on the flute, while very impressive, won't help you if you're applying to read anything except Music.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending