Turn on thread page Beta

How would you feel if your son or daughter turned out to be gay? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TakemetoAvalon)
    That's rather strange.. being gay isn't all about sex.. Have you ever known anyone who is gay?
    Yes, I know many gay men,one of my good friend's is gay and he is great but I have to say they are more promiscious than us straights, and also it is more about sex than emotions, lesbians are more about love and care than sex.

Anyway I wouldn't care if my son or daughter was gay/lesbian as long as they were safe and happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cooldarkness)
    Yes, I know many gay men,one of my good friend's is gay and he is great but I have to say they are more promiscious than us straights, and also it is more about sex than emotions, lesbians are more about love and care than sex.
    How can you make such a sweeping generalistion?
    What have you based this upon?
    I know guys who prefer emotions to sex and girls who prefer sex to emotions. (I also know people in the reverse of this...and by people I mean bi/homosexuals)

ReputationRep:
    Really non plussed if either of my children were gay, as long as they were happy, Id be right there beside them to offer support and love regardless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luize)
    How can you make such a sweeping generalistion?
    What have you based this upon?
    I know guys who prefer emotions to sex and girls who prefer sex to emotions. (I also know people in the reverse of this...and by people I mean bi/homosexuals)
    I'm only going by what I know and have seen. A large percentage are promiscious actually. Its not a bad thing, I love my gay guys, have more of laugh with them than not. They have fun and know how to

ReputationRep:
    I'm only going by what I know and have seen. A large percentage are promiscious actually. Its not a bad thing, I love my gay guys, have more of laugh with them than not. They have fun and know how to
    very islamist of you...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frost105)
    Just been on another forum and they had this topic and thought it was an interesting thing to discuss.

It wouldnt bother me but I think I would worry more about them.
    how would i feel? shocked if i hadn't already known it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    very islamist of you...
    My thoughts on Islam dont' have anything to do with another human being who prefers to be with the same sex. Its a normal thing, if I can like a woman why can't a man like another man, or a woman like another woman. I finfhomosexuality as normal as heterosexuals. I even find some guys attractive but I know deep down my feelings for woman are deeper not to much my attraction for woman stronger too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vortex_199)
    Disagree. ..the first time I noticed love I found it a wonderful thing....when I noticed gayness I just found it strange, really really strange, totally unbecoming...
    But. It's. The. Same. Thing.

To say "love" is a wonderful thing and "gayness" isn't is entirely non-sensical, since "gayness", as you call it, is simply LOVE again, but between two guys/girls rather than one of each sex.

The thought of a gay relationship is bound to sound slightly "strange" to someone not that way inclined, but then the idea of being in a het relationship would seem, in a way, strange to someone who is (completely) gay.

Cooldarkness: "A large percentage are promiscious actually." Can you prove this? It sounds like a pretty sweeping generalisation to me, as does "lesbians are more about love and care than sex" - I'm pretty sure that for the most part they love, care for, and have sex with each other (ie. combine all of the "normal" components you would find in a "straight relationship").

ZarathustraX

ReputationRep:
    Actually I dont have any information Why a person would be atrracted to His/Her own sex but, If this is something Genetic I think it would be normal(because what important is how you, yoursef are happy not other people unless you try to effect them) but if a person becomes Gay because of the cumminity he is living in, I would worry about that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniCorN)
    Actually I dont have any information Why a person would be atrracted to His/Her own sex but, If this is something Genetic I think it would be normal(because what important is how you, yoursef are happy not other people unless you try to effect them) but if a person becomes Gay because of the cumminity he is living in, I would worry about that!
    I'm sorry, i totally reject this genetic arguement to be honest...
    Genes are passed down through generations through sex. I don't know if you've noticed... but gay couples cant have naturally born children...
    Surely if it was genetic, they gene would die out as it would not be transmitted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Genes are passed down through generations through sex. I don't know if you've noticed... but gay couples cant have naturally born children...
    Surely if it was genetic, they gene would die out as it would not be transmitted.
    People have repressed sexuality in the past because it has been classed as sinful. You also need to take into consideration bisexuality.
    And you need two parts for a baby, whats to say a gay man can't have sex with a women to have a child, or similar for a woman.
    It could be easily passed down through genes as well if it was a resessive gene.
    I don't know if I believe this theory, but there are ways it can happen.

ReputationRep:
    most experts would trounce you for trying to apply GCSE biology notions to much more complex models.

ReputationRep:
    they are more promiscious than us straights
    Look past Brighton/Canal Street/G.A.Y and you'll see thousands of gay men who resent the stereotype of promiscuous hedonists thrust upon them. Being gay doesn't imply you're a raving scene freak. It just so happens that there's a very visible, often referenced scene out there which gets interpreted as 'gay culture.'

ReputationRep:
    Actually, it is probably genetic; their was some recent, credible, research showing that mothers of gay children are more likely to be very fertile and have larger numbers of children, thus perpetuating the 'gay gene'...

ReputationRep:
    Genes dont die out, its impossible!

We all seem to be forgetting that just because your gay doesnt mean that it is completly impossibole to have sex with a person of the other sex for procreation reasons.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'd be a bit shocked, I don't think anyone in our family is gay or even bisexual. I wouldn't be to bothered after that though, I mean, just because he/she is gay wouldn't make them any less of a person. I would probably be proud afterwards. I know someone who wrestled a lot with his own sexuality before coming out, I think it's a very brave and hard thing to, especially if you come from a religious environment like my family as everyone is so narrowminded!

ReputationRep:
    Genes dont die out, its impossible!

We all seem to be forgetting that just because your gay doesnt mean that it is completly impossibole to have sex with a person of the other sex for procreation reasons.
    so its a recurring fault in random people?

ReputationRep:
    No its just that if people want to have relationships and sexual relations with people of the same sex then thats fine but thay are still able to have children through sex or through other ways.

ReputationRep:
    No its just that if people want to have relationships and sexual relations with people of the same sex then thats fine but thay are still able to have children through sex or through other ways.
    but they'd have a tendancy not to surely

ReputationRep:
    A bit harsh to refer to it as a fault. You'd have to have very rigorous definitions of things like 'purpose' 'reason' 'the right one' etc to make such judgements.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.