English Lit: 9
Biology: 7
Chemistry:7
Physics: 7
History: 8
RE: 9
Citizenship: 8
IT: A

Which A Level options do you think would suit me better? So I'm picking Maths, Chemistry, Economics but for AS I'm stuck between History, Sociology, or English Lit. And should I switch out Chemistry for Further Maths?

History I like however there is a lot of content, and English Lit. is more due to my GCSE grade and I don't mind English either. However I find Sociology more interesting than both.
lemmens
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Random915)
Hi, so I just got back my GCSE results and I got:
Maths: 9
English Lang: 9
English Lit: 9
Biology: 7
Chemistry:7
Physics: 7
History: 8
RE: 9
Citizenship: 8
IT: A

Which A Level options do you think would suit me better? So I'm picking Maths, Chemistry, Economics but for AS I'm stuck between History, Sociology, or English Lit. And should I switch out Chemistry for Further Maths?

History I like however there is a lot of content, and English Lit. is more due to my GCSE grade and I don't mind English either. However I find Sociology more interesting than both.
Wow, congratulations on your amazing results!!

Further maths is really challenging, and you have to love maths and be prepared to work very hard at it. That being said, it’s very interesting and is one of my favourite subjects!! Only choose it if you have a strong passion for maths and will spend a lot of time, work and effort practising it. Chemistry is also a highly regarded subject to have, and is funnily enough my other favourite subject😂😂. It will give you a bit more breadth and open quite a few doors for you in the future. Both are great subjects to have so it’s more based on personal preference - what do you enjoy the most? do you want a bit more variety? what do you want to study at uni?

Your fourth AS level doesn’t matter so much, and as you’re already taking three quite challenging facilitating subjects then I think just go with what you enjoy. If sociology interests you the most out of the two, then I’d recommend that as A-levels are very challenging and it’s best to have subjects you’re really passionate for.

If you have any more questions about any specific A-levels, I’m happy to help where I can
Random915
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by lemmens)

Further maths is really challenging, and you have to love maths and be prepared to work very hard at it. That being said, it’s very interesting and is one of my favourite subjects!! Only choose it if you have a strong passion for maths and will spend a lot of time, work and effort practising it. Chemistry is also a highly regarded subject to have, and is funnily enough my other favourite subject😂😂. It will give you a bit more breadth and open quite a few doors for you in the future. Both are great subjects to have so it’s more based on personal preference - what do you enjoy the most? do you want a bit more variety? what do you want to study at uni?

Your fourth AS level doesn’t matter so much, and as you’re already taking three quite challenging facilitating subjects then I think just go with what you enjoy. If sociology interests you the most out of the two, then I’d recommend that as A-levels are very challenging and it’s best to have subjects you’re really passionate for.

If you have any more questions about any specific A-levels, I’m happy to help where I can
Thank you so much!
I would say I really do enjoy maths the most however I'm not sure if I'm prepared to take on Further Maths, even though it's just for AS.
Your advice is so helpful! I think I'm going to decide on Sociology at AS as I find it more interesting and enjoyable.

Also, because at my school students are allowed to do their GCSEs in 2 years, I finished my GCSEs a year early so rather going into year 11 I'm starting year 12 at 15. Do you think (if I complete my A Levels in 2 years and not retake) that I can take a gap year before university and during that gap year take Further Maths? Is it possible to do the full course or just AS if you understand what I mean?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What course do you think you'd want to do at university? It'd probably be best to start from there and work backwards from the requirements (explicit or implicit) for that course.
Random915
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
What course do you think you'd want to do at university? It'd probably be best to start from there and work backwards from the requirements (explicit or implicit) for that course.
I think that's my issue, I still have no idea but I know I want something associated with Maths and Economics. Chemistry would be very helpful too.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think that's my issue, I still have no idea but I know I want something associated with Maths and Economics. Chemistry would be very helpful too.
Well, why would chemistry be helpful for either maths or economics? It's pretty much entirely unrelated. If those subjects (either individually or together) are what you want to study at uni, then I would strongly recommend FM, either to AS or ideally to full A-level (the latter particularly if you wanted to do a maths degree).

If you want to study chemistry, medicine/similar, or any of the various biomolecular sciences (biochemistry, biomedical sciences, pharmacology), then chemistry is essential. It can also be useful for e.g. chemical engineering, materials science, or geology/earth sciences subjects. It's really neither here nor there for any other subject.

Something to consider is that economics isn't required to study that subject at uni (or any other), so you could swap economics for FM and still have economics as an option, as well as any of the chemistry related courses. Alternately perhaps you could take chemistry/maths/economics/FM?
Last edited by artful_lounger; 3 weeks ago
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It might be best to ask your school and other schools in the area if they offer FM in a year - a lot do but it does vary.
lemmens
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you so much!
I would say I really do enjoy maths the most however I'm not sure if I'm prepared to take on Further Maths, even though it's just for AS.
Your advice is so helpful! I think I'm going to decide on Sociology at AS as I find it more interesting and enjoyable.

Also, because at my school students are allowed to do their GCSEs in 2 years, I finished my GCSEs a year early so rather going into year 11 I'm starting year 12 at 15. Do you think (if I complete my A Levels in 2 years and not retake) that I can take a gap year before university and during that gap year take Further Maths? Is it possible to do the full course or just AS if you understand what I mean?
No problem!!

That sounds good, and wow you’re only 15?! You must be a genius aha!! You could definitely do further maths as a full A-level in a year, especially if you’ve already got maths under your belt. And if you want to study maths at uni, you’ll need to have further maths to A2 so your suggestion would be a good idea.
Random915
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Well, why would chemistry be helpful for either maths or economics? It's pretty much entirely unrelated. If those subjects (either individually or together) are what you want to study at uni, then I would strongly recommend FM, either to AS or ideally to full A-level (the latter particularly if you wanted to do a maths degree).

If you want to study chemistry, medicine/similar, or any of the various biomolecular sciences (biochemistry, biomedical sciences, pharmacology), then chemistry is essential. It can also be useful for e.g. chemical engineering, materials science, or geology/earth sciences subjects. It's really neither here nor there for any other subject.

Something to consider is that economics isn't required to study that subject at uni (or any other), so you could swap economics for FM and still have economics as an option, as well as any of the chemistry related courses. Alternately perhaps you could take chemistry/maths/economics/FM?
Thanks! I chose Chemistry because I would like to do at least one science, and I would consider a career related to Chemistry. Plus I feel that I won't be as restricted with my degree choice if I also do Chemistry along with Maths and Economics.
Also, though I do love maths, taking on the other 3 subjects along with Further Maths at AS would be extremely stressful for me, especially at 15, and sociology is quite interesting and is something new to me so I decided to select it for year 12.
Random915
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
It might be best to ask your school and other schools in the area if they offer FM in a year - a lot do but it does vary.
Okay thanks! That's the plan if I complete my A Levels in 2 years without retaking hopefully.
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Okay thanks! That's the plan if I complete my A Levels in 2 years without retaking hopefully.
Thats a good plan. You leave lots of options open and can get a good, rounded education. FM is generally better provided for than most subjects to sit in a year.
EmperorTortoise
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Sociology is not a real subject - don't bother taking it. History is a ton of work only to drop it after AS levels. I found English really enjoyable and not much work - go for it!
Random915
Rep:
?
No problem!!

That sounds good, and wow you’re only 15?! You must be a genius aha!! You could definitely do further maths as a full A-level in a year, especially if you’ve already got maths under your belt. And if you want to study maths at uni, you’ll need to have further maths to A2 so your suggestion would be a good idea.
Thank you, you're so sweet!
Yes, hopefully that'll be the plan as I was considering LSE as a possible uni and when I attended their summer school I was told in order to do a maths degree (or economics I think) I need to take FM so if all goes well I can hopefully take FM in a year.
lemmens
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you, you're so sweet!
Yes, hopefully that'll be the plan as I was considering LSE as a possible uni and when I attended their summer school I was told in order to do a maths degree (or economics I think) I need to take FM so if all goes well I can hopefully take FM in a year.
Aw thank you, and no worries at all!!

LSE is an amazing ambition to have!! To do maths you need further maths, and it’s desirable at some unis for economics as well. I know LSE do a combined course with maths and economics where further maths is preferred. I’m sure it will do, best of luck with your A-levels and your application afterwards
Random915
Rep:
?
Aw thank you, and no worries at all!!

LSE is an amazing ambition to have!! To do maths you need further maths, and it’s desirable at some unis for economics as well. I know LSE do a combined course with maths and economics where further maths is preferred. I’m sure it will do, best of luck with your A-levels and your application afterwards
Thank you so much and for the advice, I wish you the best too!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?