Is a 6 good enough to do physics a level?

Watch
Ltorrance
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So basically on my gcse I got 8 in maths 6 in physics and 7 in English lit. I’m obviously doing maths and I’m also doing computer science but for my third options it’s between English and physics. I’m leaning towards physics but is a 6 good enough? I didn’t really try at gcse at all but I’m not sure if a 6 is just too low to start, the sixth form allow me to but I want to know if I’ll just fall off. Also English was kinda lucky as I done no revision and got lucky with the questions. Cheers
alice03x
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ltorrance)
So basically on my gcse I got 8 in maths 6 in physics and 7 in English lit. I’m obviously doing maths and I’m also doing computer science but for my third options it’s between English and physics. I’m leaning towards physics but is a 6 good enough? I didn’t really try at gcse at all but I’m not sure if a 6 is just too low to start, the sixth form allow me to but I want to know if I’ll just fall off. Also English was kinda lucky as I done no revision and got lucky with the questions. Cheers
If you enjoy the subject, I’d say go for it! It won’t hurt to try it, and if you decide a couple of weeks in that it isn’t for you, then you can change to something else.
F12Ak
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't think it should be a problem, theres a couple of people in my physics class who are doing well and they got a B in GCSE physics. I think as long as you keep on top of your work and go through anything that you struggle with ASAP, then you'll be fine. Maths a-level will help with the mechanics part of physics so you should definitely be alright with that section.
SBond007
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It depends on the grade requirements for your chosen six form or college
EierVonSatan
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago
I'd ask your physics teacher if they know you well. Just based off the grades I don't think it would be a good idea, but maybe you didn't reach your potential at GCSE.
Ltorrance
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by F12Ak)
I don't think it should be a problem, theres a couple of people in my physics class who are doing well and they got a B in GCSE physics. I think as long as you keep on top of your work and go through anything that you struggle with ASAP, then you'll be fine. Maths a-level will help with the mechanics part of physics so you should definitely be alright with that section.
I think my issue was not taking time to memorise as much of the equations, and because of that I may be behind on that knowledge usually acquired at gcse, how much of an issue is this?
F12Ak
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ltorrance)
I think my issue was not taking time to memorise as much of the equations, and because of that I may be behind on that knowledge usually acquired at gcse, how much of an issue is this?
You will need to know which ones to use and how to use them but they give you a big data sheet with most of the equations. Just make sure to take time to practice calculations as this using and applying equations is a big chunk of the exam. You will also need to know how to derive some equations and units so practise those too.
JackDM24
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Completely unrelated but we are literally the same person. I'm doing A level Maths, Physics and Computer Science. I also got a 6 in Physics and I also got an 8 in Maths. Personally I'm just going to see how it is in the first week or so for physics and if I find it too hard or anything I'll try and change.
EierVonSatan
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JackDM24)
Completely unrelated but we are literally the same person. I'm doing A level Maths, Physics and Computer Science. I also got a 6 in Physics and I also got an 8 in Maths. Personally I'm just going to see how it is in the first week or so for physics and if I find it too hard or anything I'll try and change.
It seems like a good approach but a week or two isnt really long enough to get a feel for it or run into any significant problems as it'll be mostly GCSE recaps at the start.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.81%
I don't have everything I need (228)
44.19%

Watched Threads