The Student Room Group

Someone doing chemistry/biology a level helpp!!!

Hello

I just finished my GCSE’s (got a 6 in both Chemistry and Biology which is alright) but I’m wondering how big is the jump from gcse to A level. I had to work HARD to get my chemistry grade but I’m wondering if anyone doing these A levels got similar results and how they found their A levels? Is it extremely difficult compared to gcse and is the jump too much to handle (I know it won’t be easy but the change a massive one)? How are you coping basically?
Reply 1
Hey, sat my A-levels last year and did both biology and Chem. For context, I had the old system of GCSEs and got an A* in all 3 sciences.
I found the jump for Chem really difficult - there's a lot of syllabus to cover and it really took a lot of effort. It really clicked for some people, but I found for me it took more of a push. It's definitely enjoyable, but was my toughest A level.

Biology's jump was easier, but you need to be prepared to cram your brain full of information. Like Chemistry, there's loads to cover, but I found that biology relied slightly more on recall of knowledge than application.

The perks of taking both means that you'll get crossover between the two, so sometimes you might be learning something you already know :smile:

Overall it depends on how your brain best works. There's always a step up between GCSE and a-level, but I think if you prepare yourself from some hard work to start with and make sure you keep on top of things, it's manageable.
Aw thank you for your response! Your reply has helped me to give an insight into the A levels. Sorry to bug you but would you recommend any good sources for revision for A level?
Reply 3
For Chemsitry, there's loads of fantastic youtubers: AlleryChemistry and ERintoul I used the most.

http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/ and https://www.chemguide.co.uk/ are absolutely brilliant sites, a-levelchemistry is great when you need the topic condensed into a few pages before and end of unit test.

https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com has loads of past paper questions for bio and chem too (despite the name!). They have questions grouped into units too, and worksheets.

For Biology, I used MrPollock on youtube, and any of the free tailored tutors videos (I paid for their full videos in the end, if you've got the cash to spare when it's closer to exams it's probably worth it)

Hope that helps :smile:

Original post by Emilywarren24
Aw thank you for your response! Your reply has helped me to give an insight into the A levels. Sorry to bug you but would you recommend any good sources for revision for A level?
Thank you so much! You have no idea how much this will help :smile:
Plenty of people in my biology and chemistry classes got grade 6’s at GCSE and are managing fine, some even doing better than the ones who got 7s/8s. I think it is honestly dependant on how much work you put in at a-level as it’s going to be a jump despite what you achieved at GCSE :smile:
Aw that makes me feel better. Thank you a lot!!
Original post by Emilywarren24
Hello

I just finished my GCSE’s (got a 6 in both Chemistry and Biology which is alright) but I’m wondering how big is the jump from gcse to A level. I had to work HARD to get my chemistry grade but I’m wondering if anyone doing these A levels got similar results and how they found their A levels? Is it extremely difficult compared to gcse and is the jump too much to handle (I know it won’t be easy but the change a massive one)? How are you coping basically?

My best advice to you would be to start your revision as soon as school starts. Nothing too hardcore in the beginning because you still want to enjoy and take in everything. But at the end of each topic make notes and go over the topic, and during the closest holidays go over everything. This will make it easier for you to remeber information for when you actually start revising for your actual exams.
A-level chemistry is very hard and difficult but just remember to not give up and keep going, also get help from your teachers and peers.
Biology is also difficult but only in the sense that theres so much content you need to remember and know inside out. And my advice for biology is to know the spec inside and out.
Bestest of luck!!!
Thank you so much!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest