Turn on thread page Beta

Where best? exc. London watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok. before you pass any judgements, am not one to go out each night and get totally wasted/ or consider university as a sole opportunity to have fun. But for the sake of variety (e.g. when going out you don't have a simple choice between 3/4 clubs) which university in your opinion/experience is lively and rich in nightlife

I will be visiting home in London so preferably somewhere close - 'Manchester' for example will not be considered an option! (as much as i want to :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    Manchester. Liverpool and Newcastle are great cities for nightlife. Take a wekend and travel around with a mate and see what you like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LL12)
    Ok. before you pass any judgements, am not one to go out each night and get totally wasted/ or consider university as a sole opportunity to have fun. But for the sake of variety (e.g. when going out you don't have a simple choice between 3/4 clubs) which university in your opinion/experience is lively and rich in nightlife

I will be visiting home in London so preferably somewhere close - 'Manchester' for example will not be considered an option! (as much as i want to :rolleyes: )
    If you want to stay near to London, your options are fairly limited. Apart from London itself, I'd say big cities such as Birmingham, Southampton, Bristol and Cardiff. Maybe Nottingham but it depends how far you want to go. The first lot I mentioned are less than 3 hours away.

ReputationRep:
    just apply for uni in london then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Although Manchester/Liverpool is only 2 1/2 hours away from London by train....(just more like 5-6 hours away by car)
    5-6 hours? that much? I thought it would be more like 4? It only takes 3 hours to get to Sheffield from London

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    5-6 hours? that much? I thought it would be more like 4? It only takes 3 hours to get to Sheffield from London

you must be driving bloody fast :eek: , it takes 3-3 1/2 hours to get to nottingham and thats about an hour from sheffield

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah2)
    you must be driving bloody fast :eek: , it takes 3-3 1/2 hours to get to nottingham and thats about an hour from sheffield
    It was my mum driving and yes she drives fast! Lol. It took us about 3 hours to get to Nottingham but there was more traffic that day. I'm worried about Manchester taking 6 hours though. You can get to north yorkshire in less than that!

ReputationRep:
    Used to take about 6 hours (including a break) to get from Woking to Liverpool...with no traffic it would take 4, with Birmingham/M6 it takes at least 5 which is usually too long to go without a break...

My mum says the M6 toll rd knocks half an hour off though...so maybe it's quicker

Sheffield only has to deal with the M1 to get into London - no Birmingham to drive round
    Ah I see. I didnt really want to go further than 4 hours away for uni, but oh well. It's not like I'm planning on going home that often anyway! Plus I could always fly up there (that's what my dad suggested).

ReputationRep:
    The train is MUCH quicker
    And much more expensive! (well for me anyway because I would be able to get free flights). Just out of interest, how much would a return train ticket to Manchester cost?

(I should probably wait and see if I get an offer before asking so many questions!)

ReputationRep:
    Manchester to London is 168 miles away by train, 208 miles by road unless you only go via A roads which will take for ever. With the new titling pendalinios the journey now takes 2 hours and 10 minutes. It takes 45 minutes to get to Liverpool (from Manchester) which is just a door step away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah2)
    Wow thats ages, usually takes us 3 hours to get from London to York, and nottingham is halfway to york!

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Bristol, Cardiff, B'ham, Soton are your best options but theres also smaller places such as Reading etc.

ReputationRep:
    there's always durham it has nice pubs etc... and clubs are only a quick train ride away in newcastle

ReputationRep:
    and Durham is really close to London

ReputationRep:
    well in that case go to aberdeen..ha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    and Durham is really close to London
    oops didn't notice that bit. well it is if you take the plane from newcastle, well ok not really but it's this londoner's first (realistic, cambridge is the real first choice but its not looking too good) choice so i need to convince myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    I'd say Bristol, Cardiff, B'ham, Soton are your best options but theres also smaller places such as Reading etc.
    yes, i completely agree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hols)
    Wow thats ages, usually takes us 3 hours to get from London to York, and nottingham is halfway to york!
    I guess we are east london and have to go around the m25 to get on the m1(?) which takes about an hour, the coach from victoria is always 3 1/2 hours as well though :confused:

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.