The Student Room Group

I'm an Engineering Apprentice, AMA!

For a bit of background :holmes: I joined the engineering apprenticeship at 16 as soon as I finished my GCSEs.

Next year, I finish the scheme and become a full time Engineer :hoppy:

Ask away and I'll try to give as much as detail as I can :excited:

Just one disclaimer - I won't say which company I work for :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

What made you choose an apprenticeship over other education routes available?

Would you recommend it to other people?
Original post by brainzistheword

For a bit of background :holmes: I joined the engineering apprenticeship at 16 as soon as I finished my GCSEs.

What does a typical day consist of? :smile:
Reply 3

How long does it take to complete an apprenticeship and do you need to do a uni course during your apprenticeship?
Original post by shadowdweller
What made you choose an apprenticeship over other education routes available?

Would you recommend it to other people?

I was torn to begin with. I enjoyed studying and learning but I also knew this was a great opportunity. In the end, I decided that I could always go back to college/uni later so I would try the apprenticeship first and make the most of it.

I'd definitely recommend it and I am so glad I chose to take up the offer. It was the best decision I ever made :biggrin:

Choosing an apprenticeship doesn't mean it's one or the other; studying or working. I can do a combination of the two and that's what I love most :smile:
Original post by Labrador99
What does a typical day consist of? :smile:

That's a tricky one as no day is the same! When I was training in the first year, we did a bit of everything so we had the basic engineering skills. Nowadays, I'm looking at the safety of systems on our products and ensuring they are safe to use.

I get involved in meetings, shop floor work (manufacturing) and also the introduction of new tech :smile:
What kind of apprenticeship is it (degree, higher, something else)? What engineering discipline do you work in?
Original post by stoyfan
How long does it take to complete an apprenticeship and do you need to do a uni course during your apprenticeship?

My apprenticeship is just over 3 years but there are lots of variants out there. I started off doing a BTEC during my apprenticeship and now I've finished that, I've just completed the first year of a HNC :smile:
Original post by artful_lounger
What kind of apprenticeship is it (degree, higher, something else)? What engineering discipline do you work in?

I'm on an advanced scheme (i.e. anyone can join from 16+) in aerospace engineering :smile:
@brainzistheword what's one piece of advice you'd give to someone considering an apprenticeship?
What was your salary per week, when you started, and what is it now?

How many hours do you work in a week?

What were your GCSE grades?
How many females work with u?
Original post by shadowdweller
@brainzistheword what's one piece of advice you'd give to someone considering an apprenticeship?

If you're unsure and asking friends/teachers/tutors etc. whether or not to do an apprenticeship, keep in mind that they may not know enough about the schemes themselves, and therefore they may be more reluctant to encourage you down that path. It's best to do your own research into what they involve and make your own decision :smile:
Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES
What was your salary per week, when you started, and what is it now?

How many hours do you work in a week?

What were your GCSE grades?

To begin with it was approx £200 per week, now it's just over £300

I'm currently working an average of 38 hours per week but that can vary - sometimes I might do 36, others I might do closer to 39/40

My GCSE grades were 9A*s and a Distinction
Original post by HumbleBee_x
How many females work with u?

In my apprenticeship year, there were 8 females (including myself). Within my department specifically, there's only one other female but I honestly never noticed until someone pointed it out to me! :biggrin:
What city do you work in?
Original post by Blue Sweater
What city do you work in?

That narrows it down quite a bit and would be a massive clue as to the company :colondollar: so I'll say that I work in the North of England
That narrows it down quite a bit and would be a massive clue as to the company :colondollar: so I'll say that I work in the North of England

What's your age and do you live at home with parents?
@brainzistheword

Do you have exams/coursework to complete? How do you manage this alongside the work?
Original post by Blue Sweater
What's your age and do you live at home with parents?

I’m 19 now, and yes I currently live at home though I am close to completing on a house purchase :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest