Ztormie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
What did you get in your GCSEs, how long did you revise for and how many hours did revise per day? Please.
retajalshafeii
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I recommend you start studying from nowwww, especially for the science and math subjects because while the information may be easy to take in, they are all very heavy subjects with 20+ topics in them. I really recommend websites like Znotes ( znotes.org ) it helped me a bunch, but i took IGCSE's. There really isn't much of a difference but its all up to you.

A really effective way of studying is taking notes in class that are quick and messy, ones that you will understand, and go home and elaborate on them by research and reading your textbooks. Join Khan Academy and Quizlet. My personal favorite is quizlet considering i took a bunch of business and economics which require key terms and it helped a lot. DO NOT PROCRASTINATE. I did that for english literature and got away with a B but it really didnt help. Use your time wisely.

Time management is also a really important- if not, one of the most important factors of getting high grades and excelling in school. I recommend you purchase an undated planner and plan when and where you will study and how. Law of Attraction planners are my personal favorite because of how much they motivate me but thats just a me thing. The planner will also help you organize your life and not only just school, so this tip is especially important.

Organization is keyyyy. I can't tell you the amount of loose sheets i lost which contained important information for my tests and exams in year 10/11. It really didnt help me but i had wonderful friends who were able to send me photos of those sheets but not everyone has those so its better to depend on yourself. IGCSE's really are a piece of cake once you get a hang of past papers.They are essential to you doing well and many questions have a high chance of getting repeated, ESPECIALLY in multiple choice exams. My biology paper had 9 questions that came from past papers- those are 9 free marks! So do lots and lots of past papers.

I recommend you invest in categorized past papers in year 10 and in year 11 just get the normal ones, really helps.

With these tips I can safely say I have an average of 94%, the only subject lowering my grade is English Lit. This is how my school grades percentages: A*= 100% A=90% B=80% (you can guess the rest)

You may be thinking that you've got a long time ahead of you, but that time flies by. Good luck!
retajalshafeii
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ztormie)
What did you get in your GCSEs, how long did you revise for and how many hours did revise per day? Please.
revised 2 hours per day 5 times a week, never missed a day! Weekends were my free days!
iBearHQ
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't agree with starting proper revision in Year 10, you will be burnt out by the time it comes around your actual exams. I think starting nearing your December/January mocks is a enough time for you to get solid grades. However, I do agree that your time in Year 11 goes very quickly, so be wary of that. Big +1 with using Quizlet, did almost all my revision on that and can't suggest it more.
Huckipity
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I started revising for my gcses very lightly at around November/December in year 11. By lightly I mean no more than 1 maybe 2 hours every other day where I mainly focused on science and Maths because I had upcoming January mocks, so once the Christmas break was over I'd be bombarded with exams. When I got my mock results I was disappointed with my grades, some grades were decent like science, however I felt like I underachieved in pretty much all my subjects and I wanted to do better. So, from then onwards I began revising for Maths as I had a lot of work to do to bring my grade up. I grinded Maths out completely for the remainder of the year using Mathswatch, as well as having a tutor weekly as I wanted a 7. So in terms of Maths I started around January. For the rest of my subjects I started around March doing about 1 hour a day, and overtime I increased the amount of time up until when there were 10 weeks left where I was doing about 3 hours a day. Notice how I've never mentioned doing 5+ hours a day, I'd like to think I achieved pretty good grades in the end, however I never did excess of 3 hours a day. My mind doesn't focus for that long, so I liked to keep my revision short but very productive. Those hours were spent reading through textbooks, writing notes and doing past papers, I made sure I was never distracted in the time period and completely focused on the subject. I worked hard for my gcses, however I feel I could've worked a lot harder and ended up doing quite a lot of last minute revision for certain subjects yet I still got good grades. So my advice is don't stress too much as you don't need to be revising stupid amounts every day, just start relatively early and be consistent.

My grades:
Biology: 9
Chemistry: 8
Physics: 8
Maths: 8
Geography: 7
Electronics: 7
Business Studies: 7
English Literature: 6
English Language: 6
French:4
English Language:
furutablaze
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi there!
I got:
English Literature - 6
English Language - 7
Citizenship - 7
Maths - 3
Science - 5/6
Performing Arts - P2
History - 4

I started revising probably 2 months before exams started but even then it was in moderation. For English Literature i revised quotes and i also revised themes. My teacher would give me booklets for Macbeth and Sherlock Holmes and i would read through them every night. English Language i never even revised - it's hard to revise for Language but i advise you to one day a week write an essay about whatever you are passionate about. Citizenship i just revised key terms since i have a good general knowledge of British law. Maths im so disappointed about since i put in so much effort in and never passed. I never found doing past papers on my own helpful so i would watch Youtube videos on people doing the past papers and watching them do the questions step by step. Atm im doing the same procedure because i was so close to passing but i didnt make it so im going to put in more effort now. I would recommend watching Maths Genie or CorbettMaths since they were helpful for me. Fr Science i also put in a lot of effort in - i watched freesciencelessons and PrimroseKitten religiously. They are amazing but i prefer freesciencelessons. I also advise that you try and memorise key concepts and definitions. This could be done through flashcards or through CGP books. Performing Arts there is no need to revise its just working hard. For History, i would once again use Youtube if you are unsure about some concept. For example the Weimar Republic. If you have a good understanding but have difficulty writing down your answers i know how it feels. Practice PEEL paragraphs.

If you wanna know more feel free to ask! <3
Ztormie
Rep:
?
(Original post by retajalshafeii)
I recommend you start studying from nowwww, especially for the science and math subjects because while the information may be easy to take in, they are all very heavy subjects with 20+ topics in them. I really recommend websites like Znotes ( znotes.org ) it helped me a bunch, but i took IGCSE's. There really isn't much of a difference but its all up to you.

A really effective way of studying is taking notes in class that are quick and messy, ones that you will understand, and go home and elaborate on them by research and reading your textbooks. Join Khan Academy and Quizlet. My personal favorite is quizlet considering i took a bunch of business and economics which require key terms and it helped a lot. DO NOT PROCRASTINATE. I did that for english literature and got away with a B but it really didnt help. Use your time wisely.

Time management is also a really important- if not, one of the most important factors of getting high grades and excelling in school. I recommend you purchase an undated planner and plan when and where you will study and how. Law of Attraction planners are my personal favorite because of how much they motivate me but thats just a me thing. The planner will also help you organize your life and not only just school, so this tip is especially important.

Organization is keyyyy. I can't tell you the amount of loose sheets i lost which contained important information for my tests and exams in year 10/11. It really didnt help me but i had wonderful friends who were able to send me photos of those sheets but not everyone has those so its better to depend on yourself. IGCSE's really are a piece of cake once you get a hang of past papers.They are essential to you doing well and many questions have a high chance of getting repeated, ESPECIALLY in multiple choice exams. My biology paper had 9 questions that came from past papers- those are 9 free marks! So do lots and lots of past papers.

I recommend you invest in categorized past papers in year 10 and in year 11 just get the normal ones, really helps.

With these tips I can safely say I have an average of 94%, the only subject lowering my grade is English Lit. This is how my school grades percentages: A*= 100% A=90% B=80% (you can guess the rest)

You may be thinking that you've got a long time ahead of you, but that time flies by. Good luck!
OMG! This WAY more than I asked for !!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!! Also, congratulations of your results! xx I have a couple of questions: What does categorized past papers mean? How did you revise science other than past papers? And, how did you revise for all the rest of your subjects? Thanks x I need as much advice as possible because I'm aiming for the top! T-T And I'm currently at 5 and 6s :/
Last edited by Ztormie; 4 weeks ago
Ztormie
Rep:
?
revised 2 hours per day 5 times a week, never missed a day! Weekends were my free days!
Thank you!! In hindsight, would you say 2 hours was too little or too much for? Also, if you don't mind me asking, and you don't have to tell me, what did you get in your GCSEs? x
Ztormie
Rep:
?
(Original post by iBearHQ)
I don't agree with starting proper revision in Year 10, you will be burnt out by the time it comes around your actual exams. I think starting nearing your December/January mocks is a enough time for you to get solid grades. However, I do agree that your time in Year 11 goes very quickly, so be wary of that. Big +1 with using Quizlet, did almost all my revision on that and can't suggest it more.
Thank you!! So, do you think that revising for your mocks are beneficial then? X
iBearHQ
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you!! So, do you think that revising for your mocks are beneficial then? X
100% - mocks are an opportunity to do exam papers in real test conditions. I made quite a few mistakes in my Geography mock and was very close to make them again in the real thing but remember not to so they're a good learning opportunity.
Ztormie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Huckipity)
I started revising for my gcses very lightly at around November/December in year 11. By lightly I mean no more than 1 maybe 2 hours every other day where I mainly focused on science and Maths because I had upcoming January mocks, so once the Christmas break was over I'd be bombarded with exams. When I got my mock results I was disappointed with my grades, some grades were decent like science, however I felt like I underachieved in pretty much all my subjects and I wanted to do better. So, from then onwards I began revising for Maths as I had a lot of work to do to bring my grade up. I grinded Maths out completely for the remainder of the year using Mathswatch, as well as having a tutor weekly as I wanted a 7. So in terms of Maths I started around January. For the rest of my subjects I started around March doing about 1 hour a day, and overtime I increased the amount of time up until when there were 10 weeks left where I was doing about 3 hours a day. Notice how I've never mentioned doing 5+ hours a day, I'd like to think I achieved pretty good grades in the end, however I never did excess of 3 hours a day. My mind doesn't focus for that long, so I liked to keep my revision short but very productive. Those hours were spent reading through textbooks, writing notes and doing past papers, I made sure I was never distracted in the time period and completely focused on the subject. I worked hard for my gcses, however I feel I could've worked a lot harder and ended up doing quite a lot of last minute revision for certain subjects yet I still got good grades. So my advice is don't stress too much as you don't need to be revising stupid amounts every day, just start relatively early and be consistent.

My grades:
Biology: 9
Chemistry: 8
Physics: 8
Maths: 8
Geography: 7
Electronics: 7
Business Studies: 7
English Literature: 6
English Language: 6
French:4
English Language:
Wow! Your results are great !!!! Well done! I'm interested in choosing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths for a levels, seeing on how well you did in them, could you tell me how you revised for science please?
retajalshafeii
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
OMG! This WAY more than I asked for !!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!! Also, congratulations of your results! xx I have a couple of questions: What does categorized past papers mean? How did you revise science other than past papers? And, how did you revise for all the rest of your subjects? Thanks x I need as much advice as possible because I'm aiming for the top! T-T And I'm currently at 5 and 6s :/
Feel free to ask as much as you want Categorized past papers are basically past paper questions on each topic rather than the normal past papers where you have about 9-10 topics put in one exam. You can find a bunch online. For science I mainly focused on Znotes and youtube videos because those were the most helpful. As for learning the functions of the heart and all that Quizlet was the besttt. I dropped physics but Quizlet was amazing for it because they had almost all the formulas on flashcards. Really is a blessing.

For english literature this is the website i used (keep in mind this got me a B when i never even opened the syllabus a day before the exam): https://cieliterature.com but im not sure wether IGCSE literature and GCSE literature is the same. Also, memorize at least 6 quotes for the drama section.

As for english language i just kept on doing past papers and memorizing essay structure. Vocabulary is key as is the same with spelling and grammar. My english teacher was kind enough to keep on marking my past papers and once I was satisfied, i just waited for my exam to arrive.

Math, I had a wonderful private tutor becase i struggled with it and he scored me an A*! I took edexcel maths btw. Also Khan Academy was my holy grail for maths.

Sociology: A bunch of Quizlet and past papers + pretty notes because i adore that subject. You get the idea?
Ztormie
Rep:
?
(Original post by furutablaze)
Hi there!
I got:
English Literature - 6
English Language - 7
Citizenship - 7
Maths - 3
Science - 5/6
Performing Arts - P2
History - 4

I started revising probably 2 months before exams started but even then it was in moderation. For English Literature i revised quotes and i also revised themes. My teacher would give me booklets for Macbeth and Sherlock Holmes and i would read through them every night. English Language i never even revised - it's hard to revise for Language but i advise you to one day a week write an essay about whatever you are passionate about. Citizenship i just revised key terms since i have a good general knowledge of British law. Maths im so disappointed about since i put in so much effort in and never passed. I never found doing past papers on my own helpful so i would watch Youtube videos on people doing the past papers and watching them do the questions step by step. Atm im doing the same procedure because i was so close to passing but i didnt make it so im going to put in more effort now. I would recommend watching Maths Genie or CorbettMaths since they were helpful for me. Fr Science i also put in a lot of effort in - i watched freesciencelessons and PrimroseKitten religiously. They are amazing but i prefer freesciencelessons. I also advise that you try and memorise key concepts and definitions. This could be done through flashcards or through CGP books. Performing Arts there is no need to revise its just working hard. For History, i would once again use Youtube if you are unsure about some concept. For example the Weimar Republic. If you have a good understanding but have difficulty writing down your answers i know how it feels. Practice PEEL paragraphs.

If you wanna know more feel free to ask! <3
Thank you and congratulations on your results!!! They're great ! How did you revise quotes and themes for English literature? xx Writing subjects (e.g Geography & English) are definitely not my strong point (YET) XD.
retajalshafeii
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you!! In hindsight, would you say 2 hours was too little or too much for? Also, if you don't mind me asking, and you don't have to tell me, what did you get in your GCSEs? x
For year 10 2 hours was kind of too much considering I got a bit bored and tired in year 11, but hey, I had a bunch of free time in year 11 and aced the hell out of my mocks. For year 10, I'd say 1 hour max is pretty good per subject and when year 11 comes, re-red your notes and all that. It all about what youre willing to risk. I spent a lot of time in my book rather than going out a lot with my gals but they were understanding in year 10. In year 11, I had a lot of time, made a crap ton of friends- even with teachers too, thats how much free time I had. But its all up to you.

English Lit: B (definitely resitting it because the syllabus for this year is almost identical.)
English: A
Biology: A*
Sociology: A*
Math: A*
Business: A
Economics; A
Accounting: A*

I dont understand the numbered grades
Ztormie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Finlay Dobson)
I got 8s in Maths, English language, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Latin and Economics, 7s in History and French and a 6 in English literature. My one piece of advice would be to start doing little bits of revision as early as Christmas holidays. Even an hour a day during the holidays making flashcards adds up and really helps down the line. Making resources takes longer than actually learning them so make an early start
Well done on your excellent results!!! How long would you say that it took to you to make your flashcards? Which subjects did you use them for? And, how long did you revise per day?
Ztormie
Rep:
?
Feel free to ask as much as you want Categorized past papers are basically past paper questions on each topic rather than the normal past papers where you have about 9-10 topics put in one exam. You can find a bunch online. For science I mainly focused on Znotes and youtube videos because those were the most helpful. As for learning the functions of the heart and all that Quizlet was the besttt. I dropped physics but Quizlet was amazing for it because they had almost all the formulas on flashcards. Really is a blessing.

For english literature this is the website i used (keep in mind this got me a B when i never even opened the syllabus a day before the exam): https://cieliterature.com but im not sure wether IGCSE literature and GCSE literature is the same. Also, memorize at least 6 quotes for the drama section.

As for english language i just kept on doing past papers and memorizing essay structure. Vocabulary is key as is the same with spelling and grammar. My english teacher was kind enough to keep on marking my past papers and once I was satisfied, i just waited for my exam to arrive.

Math, I had a wonderful private tutor becase i struggled with it and he scored me an A*! I took edexcel maths btw. Also Khan Academy was my holy grail for maths.

Sociology: A bunch of Quizlet and past papers + pretty notes because i adore that subject. You get the idea?
Thank you!! This is a great help!
stenamb5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Are you going to into year 10 this September or going into year 11?
Ztormie
Rep:
?
(Original post by stenamb5)
Are you going to into year 10 this September or going into year 11?
I'm going into Year 11
Ztormie
Rep:
?
For year 10 2 hours was kind of too much considering I got a bit bored and tired in year 11, but hey, I had a bunch of free time in year 11 and aced the hell out of my mocks. For year 10, I'd say 1 hour max is pretty good per subject and when year 11 comes, re-red your notes and all that. It all about what youre willing to risk. I spent a lot of time in my book rather than going out a lot with my gals but they were understanding in year 10. In year 11, I had a lot of time, made a crap ton of friends- even with teachers too, thats how much free time I had. But its all up to you.

English Lit: B (definitely resitting it because the syllabus for this year is almost identical.)
English: A
Biology: A*
Sociology: A*
Math: A*
Business: A
Economics; A
Accounting: A*

I dont understand the numbered grades
Congratulations on your results!!! 😊💛 Sorry, I don't really understand 😅. Did you start revision at the beginning of year 10 for 2 hour per day and just re read notes in year 11? 😮 Thanks for replying btw!! 😁
Shadowcat3000
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I received all 9s. I started revising in the Easter holidays and aimed for five hours a day, a target which I met (give or take) almost every day. Five hours a day may not sound like a lot, but so long as it's good, focussed revision, then it should do the trick. That means no music, no TV on in the background, etc. I also cannot overstate how important it is to revise for end-of-topic tests throughout the year. If you do a good enough job of revising for those tests, then you'll find it a damn sight easier to revise for your GCSEs, because you're simply re-learning all the things you already knew rather than learning things for the first time. Past papers are important, and can be especially helpful in the more Maths-y subjects, but you should always prioritise learning the syllabus over doing a past paper. Only when you're 100% sure on the content should you transition to past papers. It's also crucial to make a timetable with which to organise your five hours. I prefer to spend a whole day on just one or two subjects, as it helps me focus, but if you prefer to do five per day, or even more than that, then that's fine. Just do what works for you. Above all, make sure to stick to your timetable; discipline is key. Don't do too much work at once - go for a maximum of one hour without break. During breaks, which should be no longer than half an hour, do something relaxing like read a book. Don't run upstairs and play Fortnite; do something which keeps you calm and collected, so that you can easily re-focus when you go back to study. And if you're ever feeling like you should call it quits after four hours, remember the long game. You might hear lots of lovey-dovey refrains on this website and others like it about how GCSE results don't matter. But they do. It's a dog-eat-dog world out there and you've got to come out swinging, because if you don't, you'll be left by the wayside and forgotten forever. If you want to make a difference, then go for whatever you're going for 100%; don't cut yourself any slack. Good luck.
Last edited by Shadowcat3000; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (19)
5.78%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (191)
58.05%
No (119)
36.17%

Watched Threads