Ireoluwa6
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Ztormie)
What did you get in your GCSEs, how long did you revise for and how many hours did revise per day? Please.
i got
combined science 8 7
music 7
maths 7
geography 7
re 8
ict A
english lan 7
english lit 7

it depends on how confident you feel in each of your subject if you have rubbish teachers for some subjects you can start revising now but don't try to learn the whole subject when you're only in year 10 thats what I wish I didn't do make light notes and find good revision techniques in that year. Most importantly mocks do not matter what so ever or predicted grades in my opinion when you do your mocks in year 10 it just determines your set don't stress if your in set 3 it doesn't matter because you can still be doing higher you sit the same paper in year 11 as set 1 and 2 . probably revise for 2 to 3 hours you can split is into 30 mins for each subject or 1 hour for the 3 subjects you need to work on my point if you know your good at maths don't spend an hour on it when you only need 30 mins when you know in science your struggling and only revise it for 30 mins be wise with time.

some websites
for science - freesciencelessons on youtube he is you netflix watch 2 videos per day thats 4 mins and take small notes
maths- maths genie, corbettmaths
geography- look at the specification and your textbook dont learn unnecessary things
re- search on youtube your exam board and click the video i made my on revision sheet that had quotes that were easy to understand and interpret quotes are key
febreze
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Aaryia Gunvante)
This is how I studied science to get 9-9 (double science).

To do well in any science the most useful form of revision is solving past paper questions; it is crucial. From my own experience, for physics, only knowing the content is not enough. Therefore, with practice, you will gain a better understanding of what a question is asking of you, because personally, I found physics questions quite confusing. One of the best websites for practice is Physics and Maths Tutor (make sure that you are using the 9-1 GCSE physics questions). They also have questions for other subjects!

Also go watch videos from Free Science Lessons. He goes through the specification thoroughly, and makes sure you do not miss out any crucial information.

This brings me on to the next useful resource: the specification. Please make use of this. This is THE MOST IMPORTANT resource. The exam board will not test you on anything that is outside of this... in other words, the exam board (AQA) can test you on ANYTHING in the spec. Download the spec on your computer, or print it out, and highlight points green, amber or red according to your understanding of it.

During study leave and the day before the exam this is what I did:
- Go through my notes
- Read the specification to make sure I know everything.
- Watch free science lessons (on speed 1.5 )

This way, I went through the content of the subject thrice. If this is a bit excessive, at least go through your notes and the specification.

Start making notes from the start. If I read correctly, you are in year 11 right? If you do not have any notes on any of the sciences yet, please make them as soon as you can. What I did to make mine is go through the textbook and copy down the key facts. Make sure that you understand each and every concept. If not, please ask your teacher or look it up on the internet and get it clarified. Once I went through the textbook, I went through the specification and highlighted everything I understood and made sure that my notes have everything from the spec. Fun fact: the textbook may skip over one or two things in the spec. For biology 1, I did not use the spec, so this cost me marks on my Bio paper one (the ACTUAL GCSE). So please go through it. In addition, sometimes the spec simplifies things for you. For example, I could never grasp the menstrual cycle... but once I read through the specification for that topic, it all clicked. So another tip is to sit down and make things click for you. Thats it for how I made my notes.

Another useful method of revision is teaching others. When you understand something well, go ahead and help someone who doesn't. By teaching someone a topic, you will know whether you have grasped it well. If you are finding a topic difficult to explain, it is better that you go back and revise it.

Lastly, please do not ignore required practicals. On the day of my chemistry 2 exam, I realised that I hadn't revised the water experiment, and I remember my friend telling me that I will not need it cause it came up the year before. However, two minutes before going into the exam hall, we watched FreeScienceLessons' video on it and this legit saved us because the first 10 marks or so in the paper was from it. So please, please do not be me by leaving it for the end; revise your practicals thoroughly.

I do not know if it will be useful or not, but I am going to publish a website that has all my notes and tips on it in about a week. All my science notes will be on it. I will put the link on this discussion if you would find it useful. My grades were:

Science: 9-9
Maths: 9
Business: 9
French: 8
History: 8
English Lit: 7
Geography: 6
English Lang: 6

English is really not my subject .

Anyways, I hope you found that useful. Good luck for the future
Those are amazing results! Thank you for the tips -really helpful. However, how did you achieve a 9 in Business? Do you have any revision tips for that as well? I am currently a 5/6 in business target 9 so anything would be appreciated.
Aaryia Gunvante
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by febreze)
Those are amazing results! Thank you for the tips -really helpful. However, how did you achieve a 9 in Business? Do you have any revision tips for that as well? I am currently a 5/6 in business target 9 so anything would be appreciated.
THANKS!

Notes: I did IGCSE Business

For business, know your content thoroughly and for most things, learn at least two advantages and disadvantages. The most important thing is how you structure your answer. I am not sure if this is the case in GCSE Business, but in IGCSE, we have 12 markers and 9 markers which require a certain structure (I can put it up here if you are doing IGCSE too). So try and practice as much as you can. In addition, it is crucial to know your definitions well. Sometimes, definitions are all you need for a certain chapter... which leads me on to the next point: you do not need to learn tonnes of things. As I mentioned before, familiarising yourself with the advantages, disadvantages, and definitions (along with the structure) is all you need.

Do you do IGCSE as well? If so I can offer more advice. I hope this is clear. If there are any more questions, pls ask.

Good luck! I hope you do well in business and all your other subjects
Last edited by Aaryia Gunvante; 2 months ago
febreze
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
THANKS!

For business, know your content thoroughly and for most things, learn at least two advantages and disadvantages. The most important thing is how you structure your answer. I am not sure if this is the case in GCSE Business, but in IGCSE, we have 12 markers and 9 markers which require a certain structure (I can put it up here if you are doing IGCSE too). So try and practice as much as you can. In addition, it is crucial to know your definitions well. Sometimes, definitions are all you need for a certain chapter... which leads me on to the next point: you do not need to learn tonnes of things. As I mentioned before, familiarising yourself with the advantages, disadvantages, and definitions (along with the structure) is all you need.

Do you do IGCSE as well? If so I can offer more advice. I hope this is clear. If there are any more questions, pls ask.

i do gcse aqa but we do have 12 markers and 9 markers so please could u share the structures as the most i get is 8/12 and 4/9. tbh it’s all really similar so if you have any advice that would really be appreciated

also another question about a different subject: how did you revise for history?
and french?
i am struggling with these subjects too haha
thank you so much
Ellat2855
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi there,I don’t think you will realise the benefit of starting in year 10 until they’re all over . I just got my results and I was happy with them . What I did was create resources like flash cards etc to revise from . I did this at weekends for about an hour or two . I really appreciated these as when your coming up to exam season you do get left to diy the whole thing ! I would recommend looking at tes for resources for things like English where you can print out character profiles for the people within your texts, then for maths memorising formulas is key as well as doing past papers . Try and do one a week in year 10 and talk through it with your teacher . For science go with one of those read, revise, work ones . I found the Collins book to be amazing as it has past papers and basic questions in it . All in all, preparation is key at this point as you’ll be trying to recall it all come next year, so best option is to make sure it is all easily accessible to you .Best wishes !
zohaibs03
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I got 9,8,8,8,8,7,7,6,6,5 in History, Maths, Biology, Physics ,Computer Science, Chemistry, English Language, English Literature and French(foundation) respectively. I left my revision till really late but if you start revising around 2 hours every day from now, GCSEs should honestly be a breeze. Best revision technique for me was honestly past exam questions as I tried others but I feel as if it was only the exam questions that really prepared me for the actual thing
Good Luck
D_Patel14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What did you get in your GCSEs, how long did you revise for and how many hours did revise per day? Please.
We are on the same boat, let's cry together for our GCSEs!:cry2::woo:
HGS345
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I got 5A* 7A 3B (did GCSEs from 2012-2014 I think, in 4th year of uni now). I didn't use these methods for most of my GCSEs, regrettably, but if I had, those A's would've all been A* as I was only a few marks off an A* in most of those subjects. I learnt the knowledge, but didn't spend enough time practicing applying the knowledge, so I'll tell you, it's very important you master exam technique. This is the method I used for some of my GCSEs, but used them mainly for A-Levels. You're not going to find a better approach.

- Taught myself all the content as soon as I could. Started this approach in December, was done by 1st week of February.
- Type your notes up on Microsoft Word, ideally not a book as you'll want to edit it later
- Make sure your notes are simple, straight to the point, no BS, no extra detail, just make sure you understand the concept (I had about 20 pages of notes for each module, single sided paper). If your textbook has a crappy explanation, just watch a youtube video. Many 5 minute videos literally simplify 3-4 pages worth of information, sometimes even an entire topic
- Write your notes in your own words. If you can't write something up in your own words, you haven't understood it. Write it in a way that if a lay person were to read it, they would understand, that's how simplified it should be. This will help you whiz through your notes when revising. To put it into perspective, by the 3rd time round I went through A-Level Biology and Chemistry notes, I could go through half a years worth of notes in 3-4 hours. 1 month before my exam, I could get through all of A2 Chem/Bio in 2 hours
- Also, remember, a picture can explain a thousand words, so diagrams are very helpful
- After you've covered everything, go through the specification to see if you've missed anything out.
- Then start practice questions alongside revision. Ideally you want to go through your notes at least once a week from February till May/Exam time, that way you'll have gone over it enough times that, regardless of how bad you are at memorising, it will no doubt stick in your head.
- Self-mark papers (English, History etc. are quite difficult to self-mark, ideally get your teacher to do it. But Maths, Science, R.E. etc. are easy to self mark). Make sure you know exactly where you went wrong, and why you got it right (as you may have fluked the answer)
- Get comfortable answering practice questions on each topic before you attempt past papers
Abz Said
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
wow you got all 9's. I got 94% in maths, biology, physics, french, and psychology, 99% in chemistry and 85% in english lit and history and 88% in english lit for my year 10 mocks. Working even harder now I am in year 11 hopefully all 9's.
Aaryia Gunvante
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
i do gcse aqa but we do have 12 markers and 9 markers so please could u share the structures as the most i get is 8/12 and 4/9. tbh it’s all really similar so if you have any advice that would really be appreciated

also another question about a different subject: how did you revise for history?
and french?
i am struggling with these subjects too haha
thank you so much
Hey! Sorry for the late reply.

For French, apart from learning tenses, I would really work on vocabulary. If you go on the edexcel specification, at the end of the document, there are tonnes of vocabulary that are essential to know. I would recommend going over that. I would study vocab once a week for about two hours, and towards the exam I revised them every two or three days for an hour or two. There is a lot though, so I would do more challenging vocab regularly, and easier vocab every three weeks or so. Also, listening and reading are easier marks to pick up, so I would recommend really practising that.

For History, I am the worst person to ask tbh. I barely did anything and I was shocked when I saw the result. However my friend got a nine, and she said she did a lot of exam practice and just regularly kept revising key facts. If I could do the two years again, I would definitely start learning and memorising all key events and their consequences or their causes since the start of year ten, because at the end of year eleven I started panicking about the content, and I am not lying when I say that I didn't know half of Henry the Eighth and the Cold War on the day of the exam. It was honestly a miracle how I got an 8. So pls don't do what I did; start revising from the very beginning.

Lastly for business, I will get back to you on that in a short while. My teacher prepared this one document with the structures that I used in my answers. I literally forgot everything I did in business the moment I stepped out of the exam hall . One thing I know for sure is that your 12 markers and 9 markers will get better. I used to get 3/12 at the start of year 11, and jumped to 11/12 almost every time towards the middle of the year. It definitely seems intimidating at first, but you will get used to it with a bit of practice.

Hope this helped for at least French. Good Luck!
febreze
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey! Sorry for the late reply.

For French, apart from learning tenses, I would really work on vocabulary. If you go on the edexcel specification, at the end of the document, there are tonnes of vocabulary that are essential to know. I would recommend going over that. I would study vocab once a week for about two hours, and towards the exam I revised them every two or three days for an hour or two. There is a lot though, so I would do more challenging vocab regularly, and easier vocab every three weeks or so. Also, listening and reading are easier marks to pick up, so I would recommend really practising that.

For History, I am the worst person to ask tbh. I barely did anything and I was shocked when I saw the result. However my friend got a nine, and she said she did a lot of exam practice and just regularly kept revising key facts. If I could do the two years again, I would definitely start learning and memorising all key events and their consequences or their causes since the start of year ten, because at the end of year eleven I started panicking about the content, and I am not lying when I say that I didn't know half of Henry the Eighth and the Cold War on the day of the exam. It was honestly a miracle how I got an 8. So pls don't do what I did; start revising from the very beginning.

Lastly for business, I will get back to you on that in a short while. My teacher prepared this one document with the structures that I used in my answers. I literally forgot everything I did in business the moment I stepped out of the exam hall . One thing I know for sure is that your 12 markers and 9 markers will get better. I used to get 3/12 at the start of year 11, and jumped to 11/12 almost every time towards the middle of the year. It definitely seems intimidating at first, but you will get used to it with a bit of practice.

Hope this helped for at least French. Good Luck!
Thank you, very helpfulllll
Aaryia Gunvante
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you, very helpfulllll
No problem. Hope you do excellent!
Ztormie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by hajima)
9998888888A*:

My main advice would be to 1) take mocks seriously and 2) make sure there are provisions in place so that you do the work when it’s most crucial i.e the two months leading up to your exams. I have a procrastination issue and didn’t do that so I ultimately underperformed, don’t make the same mistake!
Thank you 💞💞💞, congrats on your results X
Ztormie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ireoluwa6)
i got
combined science 8 7
music 7
maths 7
geography 7
re 8
ict A
english lan 7
english lit 7

it depends on how confident you feel in each of your subject if you have rubbish teachers for some subjects you can start revising now but don't try to learn the whole subject when you're only in year 10 thats what I wish I didn't do make light notes and find good revision techniques in that year. Most importantly mocks do not matter what so ever or predicted grades in my opinion when you do your mocks in year 10 it just determines your set don't stress if your in set 3 it doesn't matter because you can still be doing higher you sit the same paper in year 11 as set 1 and 2 . probably revise for 2 to 3 hours you can split is into 30 mins for each subject or 1 hour for the 3 subjects you need to work on my point if you know your good at maths don't spend an hour on it when you only need 30 mins when you know in science your struggling and only revise it for 30 mins be wise with time.

some websites
for science - freesciencelessons on youtube he is you netflix watch 2 videos per day thats 4 mins and take small notes
maths- maths genie, corbettmaths
geography- look at the specification and your textbook dont learn unnecessary things
re- search on youtube your exam board and click the video i made my on revision sheet that had quotes that were easy to understand and interpret quotes are key
Thank you and well done on your results ❤! I should have specified more clearly, but I'm in year 11. Is there any more advice you'll give me knowing this? 😁
Ztormie
Rep:
?
THANKS!

Thank you so much!!! T-T this is the only Business gcse advice that's relevant to me that I've found ❤❤❤ because I think oyher courses have essays X Also, IGCSE and GCSES business sounds really similar 💞
Ztormie
Rep:
?
(Original post by zohaibs03)
I got 9,8,8,8,8,7,7,6,6,5 in History, Maths, Biology, Physics ,Computer Science, Chemistry, English Language, English Literature and French(foundation) respectively. I left my revision till really late but if you start revising around 2 hours every day from now, GCSEs should honestly be a breeze. Best revision technique for me was honestly past exam questions as I tried others but I feel as if it was only the exam questions that really prepared me for the actual thing
Good Luck
Congrats on your results and thank you ❤❤❤
Ztormie
Rep:
?
(Original post by D_Patel14)
We are on the same boat, let's cry together for our GCSEs!:cry2::woo:
😭😭😭
AlwaysEating
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I didn't revise until the day of the exam. (I woke up at 2AM on the day of each exam and just went through the entire resources.) These are my results:

Biology/Chemistry: 8
Physics: 8
English Literature - 8
English Language - 7
Maths: 6
History: 6
Geography: 5
French: 4
Ztormie
Rep:
?
(Original post by HGS345)
I got 5A* 7A 3B (did GCSEs from 2012-2014 I think, in 4th year of uni now). I didn't use these methods for most of my GCSEs, regrettably, but if I had, those A's would've all been A* as I was only a few marks off an A* in most of those subjects. I learnt the knowledge, but didn't spend enough time practicing applying the knowledge, so I'll tell you, it's very important you master exam technique. This is the method I used for some of my GCSEs, but used them mainly for A-Levels. You're not going to find a better approach.

- Taught myself all the content as soon as I could. Started this approach in December, was done by 1st week of February.
- Type your notes up on Microsoft Word, ideally not a book as you'll want to edit it later
- Make sure your notes are simple, straight to the point, no BS, no extra detail, just make sure you understand the concept (I had about 20 pages of notes for each module, single sided paper). If your textbook has a crappy explanation, just watch a youtube video. Many 5 minute videos literally simplify 3-4 pages worth of information, sometimes even an entire topic
- Write your notes in your own words. If you can't write something up in your own words, you haven't understood it. Write it in a way that if a lay person were to read it, they would understand, that's how simplified it should be. This will help you whiz through your notes when revising. To put it into perspective, by the 3rd time round I went through A-Level Biology and Chemistry notes, I could go through half a years worth of notes in 3-4 hours. 1 month before my exam, I could get through all of A2 Chem/Bio in 2 hours
- Also, remember, a picture can explain a thousand words, so diagrams are very helpful
- After you've covered everything, go through the specification to see if you've missed anything out.
- Then start practice questions alongside revision. Ideally you want to go through your notes at least once a week from February till May/Exam time, that way you'll have gone over it enough times that, regardless of how bad you are at memorising, it will no doubt stick in your head.
- Self-mark papers (English, History etc. are quite difficult to self-mark, ideally get your teacher to do it. But Maths, Science, R.E. etc. are easy to self mark). Make sure you know exactly where you went wrong, and why you got it right (as you may have fluked the answer)
- Get comfortable answering practice questions on each topic before you attempt past papers
Thank you ❤❤❤ and congrats on your results xx
Ztormie
Rep:
?
(Original post by AlwaysEating)
I didn't revise until the day of the exam. (I woke up at 2AM on the day of each exam and just went through the entire resources.) These are my results:

Biology/Chemistry: 8
Physics: 8
English Literature - 8
English Language - 7
Maths: 6
History: 6
Geography: 5
French: 4
Lucky 😂😂😂❤
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

If this is your first time voting in an election, will Brexit be a big factor for you?

Yes (5)
62.5%
No (3)
37.5%

Watched Threads