H201401
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I really want to apply to Dentistry at King’s College London; it’s my dream however my results were pretty bad
VR: 460 (stressed out too much!)
DM: 600
QR: 570
AR: 590
Total score: 2220 (555 average)
SJT: Band 2
I’m not sure if I should apply this year to Kings and I don’t know what I should do?!
Is the enhanced dentistry support scheme even possible to apply for?
I’m apart of the K+ Programme, working really hard on my personal statement, have sufficient experience, working towards meeting the entry requirements for my predictions. And my GCSE’s were:
English lit: 9
English lang: 8
Combined science: 9-8
History: 8
Sociology: A (old spec)
RE: A (old spec)
German: A (old spec)
In total 7 A’s and A*’s
What can I do now? I’m so eager to study at kings!!!
13thomasal
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by H201401)
I really want to apply to Dentistry at King’s College London; it’s my dream however my results were pretty bad
VR: 460 (stressed out too much!)
DM: 600
QR: 570
AR: 590
Total score: 2220 (555 average)
SJT: Band 2
I’m not sure if I should apply this year to Kings and I don’t know what I should do?!
Is the enhanced dentistry support scheme even possible to apply for?
I’m apart of the K+ Programme, working really hard on my personal statement, have sufficient experience, working towards meeting the entry requirements for my predictions. And my GCSE’s were:
English lit: 9
English lang: 8
Combined science: 9-8
History: 8
Sociology: A (old spec)
RE: A (old spec)
German: A (old spec)
In total 7 A’s and A*’s
What can I do now? I’m so eager to study at kings!!!
I know you have your heart set on Kings so maybe reapply next year after working hard for the UCAT. As well as that your gcses are good so think of Cardiff and Liverpool that use UCAT in borderline cases. Another option is to apply to these and a BMAT uni like Leeds for Dentistry.Good Luck sorry if I wasnt much help.
H201401
Rep:
?
(Original post by 13thomasal)
I know you have your heart set on Kings so maybe reapply next year after working hard for the UCAT. As well as that your gcses are good so think of Cardiff and Liverpool that use UCAT in borderline cases. Another option is to apply to these and a BMAT uni like Leeds for Dentistry.Good Luck sorry if I wasnt much help.
Thank you so much for your reply! I think retaking the UCAT is wise- on the Kings’ website they state no thresholds so is it really impossible to get in with that score?
13thomasal
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much for your reply! I think retaking the UCAT is wise- on the Kings’ website they state no thresholds so is it really impossible to get in with that score?
I think so to be honest I think that a score of 650+ is what the average applicants have and 700 or more is considered to be competitive. But carry on with it Im sure there will be a way to achieve your dream
H201401
Rep:
?
(Original post by 13thomasal)
I think so to be honest I think that a score of 650 is what the average applicants have and 700 or more is considered to be competitive. But carry on with it Im sure there will be a way to achieve your dream
Thank you so much for your help, Best wishes for your future studies!
Last edited by H201401; 1 month ago
2500_2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have you looked at King's previous entry data here?
H201401
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2500_2)
Have you looked at King's previous entry data here?
Thank you so much for this document! I’m slightly confused as to why some students who have gotten 570 average or even 470 as an average yet still got offers without interview? Is there a specific reason for this? Do predicted’s influence this? Name:  85A03F16-243A-4234-ABD7-2758BB56B016.jpg.jpeg
Views: 70
Size:  45.8 KB Name:  1B76CC55-2B17-4F12-A304-E302033A295C.jpg.jpeg
Views: 68
Size:  54.5 KB Name:  CB88901C-2DEB-4E8E-A329-538151EECACA.jpg.jpeg
Views: 73
Size:  50.9 KB Name:  CB7001EE-2F32-4D01-AECC-271F2413D2FE.jpg.jpeg
Views: 63
Size:  16.6 KB it seems that the higher the predictions it may outweigh the score? But I do understand the total trend of getting an interview associated with high scores.
2500_2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much for this document! I’m slightly confused as to why some students who have gotten 570 average or even 470 as an average yet still got offers without interview? Is there a specific reason for this? Do predicted’s influence this? Name:  85A03F16-243A-4234-ABD7-2758BB56B016.jpg.jpeg
Views: 70
Size:  45.8 KB Name:  1B76CC55-2B17-4F12-A304-E302033A295C.jpg.jpeg
Views: 68
Size:  54.5 KB Name:  CB88901C-2DEB-4E8E-A329-538151EECACA.jpg.jpeg
Views: 73
Size:  50.9 KB Name:  CB7001EE-2F32-4D01-AECC-271F2413D2FE.jpg.jpeg
Views: 63
Size:  16.6 KB it seems that the higher the predictions it may outweigh the score? But I do understand the total trend of getting an interview associated with high scores.
They say

When considering those students which will be shortlisted for interview the selectors consider the following; GCSE (or equivalent performance), predicted or achieved A-level grades (or equivalent), the personal statement, the reference and the score in the UCAT. These contribute to the shortlisting of candidates, and we do assess for this programme holistically, taking in to account all these factors and your performance in the context of your educational background. Examination results and the UCAT score are perhaps the most important factors when considering applications. These are highlighted as they provide us with the fairest and most consistent method of assessing applicants.

What the data said to me was that if you are amazing at all the other criteria, a small number of people have got offers at the 550 level. It should help you determine the level of risk in applying for you. I'm no clearer than you regarding the no interview but it may suggest those of anomalies of the system and thus not a comparator to yourself.
H201401
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2500_2)
They say

When considering those students which will be shortlisted for interview the selectors consider the following; GCSE (or equivalent performance), predicted or achieved A-level grades (or equivalent), the personal statement, the reference and the score in the UCAT. These contribute to the shortlisting of candidates, and we do assess for this programme holistically, taking in to account all these factors and your performance in the context of your educational background. Examination results and the UCAT score are perhaps the most important factors when considering applications. These are highlighted as they provide us with the fairest and most consistent method of assessing applicants.

What the data said to me was that if you are amazing at all the other criteria, a small number of people have got offers at the 550 level. It should help you determine the level of risk in applying for you. I'm no clearer than you regarding the no interview but it may suggest those of anomalies of the system and thus not a comparator to yourself.
I completely understand now. Thank you for taking the time to help me, best wishes in your studies!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (110)
17.74%
It's just nice to be back! (167)
26.94%
Not great so far... (224)
36.13%
I want to drop out! (119)
19.19%

Watched Threads