anaveragetoad
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
how difficult is it to manage 3A*s in ALevels?
angelike1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
erm what kind of answer are you looking for?
pipthesqueak
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
well it really depends on the subjects, how much effort youre putting in, actually following a revision technique that works for you, and going the extra mile by going to tuition! time management is really important too, as in these years you’re also probably really busy preparing for uni applications, working or volunteering! it’s tough but not impossible
whydoidothis?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
if your good at maths getting an A*A* in maths and fmaths is really easy.
Also A level geography and business studies are free A*s.

But if you don't wanna cheese it then it can be pretty hard.
username2775496
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I got 3A*s, I did biology, chemistry and music and I’m off to do Medicine
pipthesqueak
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by upbeat4)
ahh that is amazing!! i also want to do medicine ((: just wondering where are you off to?
Hammad(214508)
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by anaveragetoad)
how difficult is it to manage 3A*s in ALevels?
It is not too hard tbh. I got them and I did 4 A-Levels (Maths, Biology, CS and Spanish) , EPQ and had to do some extra English qualification too (IELTS).
Once you figure out how to get A* you will be fine, but this is the hard part
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Doable but you can't rest on your laurels and assume that you've got a topic covered.
olivert5
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Naturally, it is hard. That’s the point of having top grades - it is to distinguish the good candidates from the great ones.

Additionally, even the top universities in the country don’t require 3 A*s; typically an oxbridge offer will be an A* and two As.

However, that said, it is possible to get three A*s, and many people do get them. If you simply work hard and consistently, you are more than likely to receive a respectable set of A Level grades that will stand you in good stead for your future.

What really distinguishes the good candidates from the great ones is the enthusiasm and passion for their subjects. Reading around your subject isn’t just useful for embellishing your CV or personal statement - it will inform you on new theorems and methods in STEM subjects and give you new writing styles and points in the humanities and arts.

Getting three A*s is not the be all and end all in life. While it will certainly give you academic confidence and make you stand out from the crowd, it had been proven that often high achievers in school will not necessarily be the top students at university or later life.

Good luck with your further academic studies, and continue to think high, but remember to give yourself time away from academia. Your grades will thank you for it.

O
Bigpaddy27
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
AAA if you work hard and are not a dumbass, A*A*A* if you’re actually very smart and you work hard
JustOneMoreThing
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Doable but you can't rest on your laurels and assume that you've got a topic covered.
What do laurels mean?

From what I'm getting on google it says a shrub or to bestow award or praise based on achievement.
acromo123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I mean I got A* in bio chem maths
and not just scrap it but like 20-30 marks into A* in each subject

I can help you if u want?
username2775496
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by pipthesqueak)
ahh that is amazing!! i also want to do medicine ((: just wondering where are you off to?
Thanks! I’m off to Kings College London, not kings College Cambridge which was what my grandparents initially thought😅
pipthesqueak
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks! I’m off to Kings College London, not kings College Cambridge which was what my grandparents initially thought😅
that’s honestly so awesome!! kcl is one of the unis i want to go
username2775496
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by pipthesqueak)
that’s honestly so awesome!! kcl is one of the unis i want to go
KCL is an awesome place, if you want me to answer any questions about the admissions process to KCL, feel free to PM me!
Sannah 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Hammad(214508))
It is not too hard tbh. I got them and I did 4 A-Levels (Maths, Biology, CS and Spanish) , EPQ and had to do some extra English qualification too (IELTS).
Once you figure out how to get A* you will be fine, but this is the hard part
Heyy u did Spanish and got A*?!
I got an 8 for GCSE
I love Spanish and wanna do it next yr for a level
How did u find it?? Wat did u do?
U can pm or send here
pipthesqueak
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
KCL is an awesome place, if you want me to answer any questions about the admissions process to KCL, feel free to PM me!
that’s so nice of you!! thank you! i’ll make sure to do so
Okay123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My only advice is do subjects you enjoy!!! Don’t listen to people, pick a levels that are REQUIRED and then do whatever the hell YOU want after. I wish I did this because I hated physics from day 1 but picked it because I thought it would help a computer science application even tho it wasn’t required anywhere. Biggest mistake of my A level career was not doing English lit which was what I wanted to do in the first place

SO! Do the subjects YOU want to do!!! This will make the A*’s easier to achieve because A levels are a lot of work and you don’t want to commit every time you revise
Last edited by Okay123; 4 weeks ago
aquaza
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by acromo123)
I mean I got A* in bio chem maths
and not just scrap it but like 20-30 marks into A* in each subject

I can help you if u want?
So what was your strategy? I've just finished AS and got As I found it really difficult when trying to improve my marks from an A to an A* particularly in the science subjects. I would really like to know since you went beyond even the grade boundary of an A* I really want 3A* and no matter what.
joker125
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What were you gcses like as I want to proceed in medicine but have received a 4 in English language and think that has let me down
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (9)
8.82%
Disagree (5)
4.9%
Neither agree or disagree (32)
31.37%
Agree (40)
39.22%
Strongly Agree (16)
15.69%

Watched Threads

Latest