The Student Room Group

Medical School

Say a student didn't do that great in GCSEs so got mostly 5s and 6s (C's and B's) but did extremely well in A-levels. They got A*A*A* and got amazing scores in all the medical entrance exams, would Russel group Universities take them in for Medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It depends on the university mostly.
There are many different ways you can get into medicine that won’t have your GCSE grades primarily looked at, you could decide on doing a foundation year,decide that you wish to do a science related degree first and then do a postgraduate conversion course for medicine.Overall, it differs from university to university.If you do get those grades at a level have a great UKCAT score,personal statement and interview,then theres a big chance you will still be able to get in.
Reply 2
What are the cons of retaking GCSEs?
I want to retake some of my GCSEs but I don't know how that will effect my UCAS and other university applications.
Will retaking my GCSEs disadvantage me from other students who got the grades the first time?
I want to do Medicine, so if I retake my GCSEs, would Medical schools now allow me to study there?
Some Medical Schools will not consider retakes at all. Some universities only require you to have a minimum level of GCSEs and then are more interested in your predicted A level grades and your UKCAT/BMAT score to decide whether to invite you for interview or not.

You give no indication of your GCSE grades - if they are 7/8/9 that is fine. If they are below this then you do need to realistically consider if Medicine is for you - most universities are looking for minimum A grades at A level - and if you are not getting A/A* at GCSE, that may be a stretch.
Reply 4
Hi,

I’m also interested in medicine and got my results on Thursday, and one of the first things I did was compare my results to the medical school GCSE requirements which you can find on loads of different websites (happy to say I meet all of them), but it’s worth noting that a lot of medical schools have very basic GCSE requirements like 6s in Chemistry Biology Maths and English for example. Not all medical schools use GCSE grades as part of the decisions for offers, but as a basic screening, although having competitive grades will help if you apply to medical schools that use a hollistic approach to giving offers.

Personally I’d say that if you have at least 5 6s including Chemistry Biology Maths and English, there’s little point retaking GCSEs. I got 5 9s and 4 8s but got a 3 in art, I’m not retaking it because no university would take too much note over 1 bad grade in a non essential subject. If you don’t meet the requirements then consider retaking, I know a lot of universities don’t like people retaking A levels (some dont even consider A level retakes), so I’d imagine retaking MIGHT put you at a disadvantage, but you should probably email the admissions offices of different medical schools to find out.
I'm not aware of any medical schools with particular concerns over GCSE retakes; A-level retakes aren't accepted by some medical schools (although 18 currently do accept A-level retakes, in various manners). Perhaps contact the medical schools you are considering applying to and ask them directly what their policy on GCSE retakes is. Bear in mind some may have specific requirements of a particular grade in e.g. maths or English language; if this is the case, you will need to meet this before you start the course. If your GCSE Maths or English is below a B (6) you may want to consider retaking that.

Also not all medical schools weigh GCSEs that heavily - for example Cambridge don't put much weight on them. Provided you do well in A-levels and UCAT/BMAT you will still potentially be able to apply to medicine, as long as you do your research to identify the medical schools which don't put much weight on GCSEs and which do weigh more heavily the aspects of your application that are stronger (e.g. UCAT score, for example).
Reply 6
Original post by Travv
Hi,

I’m also interested in medicine and got my results on Thursday, and one of the first things I did was compare my results to the medical school GCSE requirements which you can find on loads of different websites (happy to say I meet all of them), but it’s worth noting that a lot of medical schools have very basic GCSE requirements like 6s in Chemistry Biology Maths and English for example. Not all medical schools use GCSE grades as part of the decisions for offers, but as a basic screening, although having competitive grades will help if you apply to medical schools that use a hollistic approach to giving offers.

Personally I’d say that if you have at least 5 6s including Chemistry Biology Maths and English, there’s little point retaking GCSEs. I got 5 9s and 4 8s but got a 3 in art, I’m not retaking it because no university would take too much note over 1 bad grade in a non essential subject. If you don’t meet the requirements then consider retaking, I know a lot of universities don’t like people retaking A levels (some dont even consider A level retakes), so I’d imagine retaking MIGHT put you at a disadvantage, but you should probably email the admissions offices of different medical schools to find out.

You'd be surprised! Edinburgh have scored GCSEs for years and last year your 3 in Art would have dropped your score drom 10 to 2!!
Also have an effect on your likelihood of an interview at Oxford.

However, you are generally right that the odd bad grade will not affect your chances at most med schools adn a resit is not worth it
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
I'm not aware of any medical schools with particular concerns over GCSE retakes; A-level retakes aren't accepted by some medical schools (although 18 currently do accept A-level retakes, in various manners). Perhaps contact the medical schools you are considering applying to and ask them directly what their policy on GCSE retakes is. Bear in mind some may have specific requirements of a particular grade in e.g. maths or English language; if this is the case, you will need to meet this before you start the course. If your GCSE Maths or English is below a B (6) you may want to consider retaking that.

Also not all medical schools weigh GCSEs that heavily - for example Cambridge don't put much weight on them. Provided you do well in A-levels and UCAT/BMAT you will still potentially be able to apply to medicine, as long as you do your research to identify the medical schools which don't put much weight on GCSEs and which do weigh more heavily the aspects of your application that are stronger (e.g. UCAT score, for example).

There are a few who assess using GCSEs who do not accept resits, so as you say, best to check websites carefully and call up to check if not clear
Reply 8
Original post by GANFYD
You'd be surprised! Edinburgh have scored GCSEs for years and last year your 3 in Art would have dropped your score drom 10 to 2!!
Also have an effect on your likelihood of an interview at Oxford.

However, you are generally right that the odd bad grade will not affect your chances at most med schools adn a resit is not worth it

Yeah I did an access to medicine course with Lancaster University and they said they don’t consider GCSEs as anything more than a basic screening process, and yeah I know for some of the more competitive/prestigious universities it’d knock me back but I’m not planning to apply to them :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by Travv
Yeah I did an access to medicine course with Lancaster University and they said they don’t consider GCSEs as anything more than a basic screening process, and yeah I know for some of the more competitive/prestigious universities it’d knock me back but I’m not planning to apply to them :wink:

The most competitive med schools are BSMS, Aberdeen, Dundee, ARU, UCLan and Bristol, all of which have pretty basic minimum GCSE requirements!
The way med schools select applicants for interview is very idiosyncratic and bears no resemblance to their competition ratios. For medicine in the UK, no med school is considered more pestigious than any other
Reply 10
Original post by GANFYD
The most competitive med schools are BSMS, Aberdeen, Dundee, ARU, UCLan and Bristol, all of which have pretty basic minimum GCSE requirements!
The way med schools select applicants for interview is very idiosyncratic and bears no resemblance to their competition ratios. For medicine in the UK, no med school is considered more pestigious than any other

Fair enough, I’m going to email about and see what different admissions offices think but I really don’t think one D would hold me back too much in most cases.
Not all unis care about GCSEs
Some do, but work hard on ur a levels and UCAT
Get grade 4/5 at a minimum just in case tho
Reply 12
Original post by Travv
Fair enough, I’m going to email about and see what different admissions offices think but I really don’t think one D would hold me back too much in most cases.

Nope, it absolutely won't!
Your original post just said "no university would take too much note over 1 bad grade in a non essential subject" and there are just one or 2 where they will
Reply 13
Original post by GANFYD
Nope, it absolutely won't!
Your original post just said "no university would take too much note over 1 bad grade in a non essential subject" and there are just one or 2 where they will

Thanks for the heads up anyway!
Reply 14
Can you still go to Medicine if you didn't do that great in your GCSE's but got A*A*A* at A-level?
Original post by 786_
Can you still go to Medicine if you didn't do that great in your GCSE's but got A*A*A* at A-level?

brooooo ive been thinking about that since results day. What did you get for your gcses? as in top 8?
Reply 16
Yes, you can, three A* is solid and meets all medical university criteria for A Levels, so there’s a good chance they may overlook your GCSEs, but you’ll have to check individual university requirements, as some do put a lot of emphasis on GCSEs in the application process. What did you get st GCSEs?
Reply 17
Original post by the_icy_goldfish
brooooo ive been thinking about that since results day. What did you get for your gcses? as in top 8?

Don't even ask, I did very bad. I deserve it though, I didn't revise and I procrastinated all the time. I left everything to last minute and now I regret it.
I got:
Maths 5
English lang 4
English lit 6
Biology 5
Chemistry 5
Physics 4
Economics 4
Geography 5
R.E 6
French 5

I have sent my Chemistry for a review of marking as I was 3 marks off of a 6,
I want to do Bio, chem and English lit at A-level but I need 6s in both chem and bio. Hopefully I will get the 6 in chem but I'm really scared for bio. I will beg them if I have to, to let me do Bio.

I am prepared to work very hard at A-level though, I have even given my mum my phone to not give back to me till year 12 finishes. I just need my sixth from to let me do these A-levels, I will try soooo hard and revise so much.
(edited 4 years ago)
All you have to do is work very hard at A-Level to get an AAA prediction and be picky with your uni's as some don't have any GCSE requirements at all such as Imperial. Simply, some universities put emphasis on GCSE such as Oxford and Nottingham but other places like Imperial want high predictions and a good BMAT score.

yh as HGS345 said check specific uni entry requirements carefully.
(edited 4 years ago)
but I think these are the experts to help you (not sure im new to TSR apologies if ur not the experts lol)
@nexttime

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending