student200903
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
i studied national 5 english last year and came out with 92% in the exam with a full mark folio. i love english and it’s my favourite subject. do you think i’ll find higher english a big jump from national 5?
Last edited by student200903; 1 year ago
fucthesqa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes English is a big jump from national 5.

Many of my classmates went from As and Bs at national 5 to Cs and Ds at higher.

Since you got 92% and it's your favourite subject then I don't expect it to be much of a problem for you, make sure you spend a lot of time on your portfolio to perfect it as it really does matter and get various English teachers to read it - I only got 15/30 in my higher English portfolio.
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tight underpants can help.
student200903
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by fucthesqa)
Yes English is a big jump from national 5.

Many of my classmates went from As and Bs at national 5 to Cs and Ds at higher.

Since you got 92% and it's your favourite subject then I don't expect it to be much of a problem for you, make sure you spend a lot of time on your portfolio to perfect it as it really does matter and get various English teachers to read it - I only got 15/30 in my higher English portfolio.
how many marks did you get in your nat 5 folio?
fucthesqa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by student200903)
how many marks did you get in your nat 5 folio?
23/30

I got an A for both national 5 and Higher
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you're getting 92% at N5, Higher won't be a massive step up. Just make sure you spend enough time on your folio - the marking is very harsh at Higher.

Best of luck, you'll be fantastic
Katrinaxoxo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I got a B at Nat 5 in 2016 and an A in higher in 2018! I personally didn’t find a big jump from Nat 5 to higher, especially I had a 1 year break from English! I didn’t revise constantly either... as long as you listen in class and get on with the work you will be fine!

However I do know a lot of people who got an A at Nat 5 but got a c/d at higher!
AfricanDream
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I think the difficulty level of higher English also depends on the set text and Scottish text,etc you learn about, at my school this was different for each English teacher and class. But I had recently moved from an entirely different country and curriculum.
Last edited by AfricanDream; 11 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.06%
I'm not sure (59)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (387)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.81%
I'm not a current university student (648)
49.24%

Watched Threads