The Student Room Group

How to get into A levels

How do I get into A-levels at the college if I have only 1 GCSE(maths, higher tier, got a 6 in my gap year) I moved in England in October when I was 16 so I had to wait a whole year to get into college, and I only took a GCSE because until then I studied in Romania and I haven't had enough time to prepare for more exams in only a few months. I also have good grades from my Romanian high school.
Original post by Cosmina.2107
How do I get into A-levels at the college if I have only 1 GCSE(maths, higher tier, got a 6 in my gap year) I moved in England in October when I was 16 so I had to wait a whole year to get into college, and I only took a GCSE because until then I studied in Romania and I haven't had enough time to prepare for more exams in only a few months. I also have good grades from my Romanian high school.

Colleges and sixth forms do not really accept people with those results to do A Levels because of the difficulty. I needed a minimum of 7 and 5 GCSEs in order to study the A Levels I wanted at the 'best sixth form' in my city. You can try and apply into colleges to do Level 1/2 courses (which isn't ideal but a start) and you can resit your GCSEs. Alternatively, you can study at home and pay for your resits yourself. This is approximately £40 for every subject. You should also note that you generally need 5 GCSEs. This would mean that you would be one year late but it is worth it if you want to do level 3 subjects.

For clarification:
Level 3 = A Level
Level 2 = GCSE
Level 1 = Half of a GCSE
Original post by pmatoo2010
Colleges and sixth forms do not really accept people with those results to do A Levels because of the difficulty. I needed a minimum of 7 and 5 GCSEs in order to study the A Levels I wanted at the 'best sixth form' in my city. You can try and apply into colleges to do Level 1/2 courses (which isn't ideal but a start) and you can resit your GCSEs. Alternatively, you can study at home and pay for your resits yourself. This is approximately £40 for every subject. You should also note that you generally need 5 GCSEs. This would mean that you would be one year late but it is worth it if you want to do level 3 subjects.

For clarification:
Level 3 = A Level
Level 2 = GCSE
Level 1 = Half of a GCSE

I have talked to a teacher at the college and they told me I can take any Level 3 courses, which is equivalent with an A level, right? But then, what is the difference between A-level course and Level 3? And if I choose a Level 3 course, will it be like I had been taken A-levels?
I have talked to a teacher at the college and they told me I can take any Level 3 courses, which is equivalent with an A level, right? But then, what is the difference between A-level course and Level 3? And if I choose a Level 3 course, will it be like I had been taken A-levels?

A Levels are level 3 courses. It might be a BTEC course which is pretty much coursework.
So if I take a Level 3 course it's exactly the same as an A-level? But do you take any exam at the end of the course or something?
So if I take a Level 3 course it's exactly the same as an A-level? But do you take any exam at the end of the course or something?

Of course you do. BTEC has exams and coursework.
Something to keep in mind: if you are planning on going to university you will need three level 3 qualifications.
Original post by pmatoo2010
Of course you do. BTEC has exams and coursework.
Something to keep in mind: if you are planning on going to university you will need three level 3 qualifications.

All right thank you a lott🙏🏻
Do you have the Romanian equivalent of GCSEs? If you do, and you can show these are similar, they might let you do A levels.
Original post by Dancer2001
Do you have the Romanian equivalent of GCSEs? If you do, and you can show these are similar, they might let you do A levels.

Yes, I do. I hope they will let me do A levels that I want, because in Romania, we only take our "GCSEs" at maths and romanian

Quick Reply

Latest