Sad student
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,

On September I am in year 13. During summer I decided to do my coursework for english literature. I already readed 2 books which I must compare and criticism, however I do not know how to start. I am doing coursework on Jane Eyre and Emma. My questions are:

- What should be included: structure, settings, meanings, symbols, effects on reader, quotes, criticism what else?
- What should I do to get an A ?
- I found similar points for both of the novels: position of men and women, wealth and status, marriage, mental health and physical health, religion.
- What should the title of my topic be: "Women in early 19th century" or "portayal of victorian society" or maybe something different?

I would be glad if someone could help me please
Inky07
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sad student)
Hello,

On September I am in year 13. During summer I decided to do my coursework for english literature. I already readed 2 books which I must compare and criticism, however I do not know how to start. I am doing coursework on Jane Eyre and Emma. My questions are:

- What should be included: structure, settings, meanings, symbols, effects on reader, quotes, criticism what else?
- What should I do to get an A ?
- I found similar points for both of the novels: position of men and women, wealth and status, marriage, mental health and physical health, religion.
- What should the title of my topic be: "Women in early 19th century" or "portayal of victorian society" or maybe something different?

I would be glad if someone could help me please
Hello Sad Student,

I'm not sure what the exact grade criteria is for you to get an A but sticking to the actual keywords 'COMPARE' and 'CRITICISE' is key. The two novels you have chosen are excellent in terms of having ideas to compare. You could compare and contrast the actual protagonists first, the themes flowing throughout the stories, the year/era in which the novels were written and even set and even how the authors compare to each other.
I would research the criticism both novels received when they were published.

Regarding the title, if you want to pick a single theme then you could call it ' (insert theme here) in Jane Eyre and Emma'
Or simply: A comparison between Jane Eyre and Emma. This way you can pick 3-4 themes and ideas to talk about in depth.
It all depends on your word limit.
Good Luck!
Inky
inspiringcolours
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm also working Edexcel English Lit coursework at the moment. If you have a look at the marking grid, it will give you descriptors for each grade. It is very similar to the Prose one, except a Level 5 on Prose is the same as a Level 4 on Coursework.
You may find that women is quite broad, and victorian society too context-heavy; the suggested word count is 3,500! But, ultimately, it should be a theme you find interesting as this will make it a lot easier to write, I would discuss with your teacher though. Having a quote in the title will help you to have something to bounce off of.
HamzaD
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by inspiringcolours)
I'm also working Edexcel English Lit coursework at the moment. If you have a look at the marking grid, it will give you descriptors for each grade. It is very similar to the Prose one, except a Level 5 on Prose is the same as a Level 4 on Coursework.
You may find that women is quite broad, and victorian society too context-heavy; the suggested word count is 3,500! But, ultimately, it should be a theme you find interesting as this will make it a lot easier to write, I would discuss with your teacher though. Having a quote in the title will help you to have something to bounce off of.
When do you submit it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (535)
34.01%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (648)
41.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (318)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.58%

Watched Threads