I think I've made a big mistake - CLEARING

Watch
User7862010
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all, I had a place in clearing confirmed at one university (russel group) which is good for my course, in a very good city which I like and has a very good overall reputation in and out of the UK. [I had originally applied to this place but chose another hence why I went to it though clearing which they accepted].

I then started having doubts about my place there as I started thinking the overall prestige isn't as good as another uni I saw in clearing. I am interested in investment banking jobs (but not the front office roles so I still could have gotten in I believe with my first uni). This other uni had closed clearing for the subject I want to study but I enquired and made a very last minute switch in which I declined my first clearing place. This 2nd uni is a prestigious russel group which is very good overall but the department for my course isn't what the uni is known for and isn't as good as my first uni. In hindsight the modules aren't really as good and the projects at my first uni are much more interesting. Also the uni I swifched to is a campus which doesn't have much to do even in the city closest to it. But this uni is much closer to home (30min train), which I find comforting that I can go home at any time. Whereas my first choice is a 3 hr drive and 2hr on train and is much more expensive to get these tickets so home visits would be less frequent

On top of that, the first university is very diverse culturally and ethnically which is a bonus as I feel it would be easier fitting in while the 2nd uni still is abit but not to the extent of my original choice. I guess the main reason I swapped is because of the overall prestige and I guess more chances to get into the finance industry which I am genuinely interested about and that its closer to home , but I'm now thinking it may have not been worth it since the course is less interesting and the department isn't as good as in terms of teaching.

The worst part of all this is that I kept my family in the dark about it and only the other day told them that I had gone into clearing and then released my clearing option to go to the other uni in clearing. We had just gone to visit the uni yesterday and I do feel comfortable there but I am worried I won't like the modules as much and I may not fit in as it's not as diverse also the options for activities to do is limited as in eating out or activities that don't involve drinking.

I am a complete mess. My original uni had taken my course off of its clearing place way before I released my choice so mabye that has stopped people from enquiring and the place I released being taken. I released my choice 2 days ago and now will have to wait over the weekend to see if it's still available. Do you think there is any chance that the university would take me back? And after reading all of this do you think I am being stupid for trying to change back?

I genuinely like both places, with the first will be more social and I will have more fun (which I haven't had much of so far in my life) and also the course modules being of slightly more interest to me, with the department being good and backed by the uni, the surrounding area is diverse and options to eat out are terrific. The only thing thats in my mind is that after the degree I may feel that I do want to persue a finance /IB related career and don't want to then find out my options to be limited or find it to be much much harder and would've been better at the new uni.

Whereas the new uni is much more quieter and secluded, I do find it peaceful there and know if I get stuck into sports clubs and societies then I will meet some people and could have a good time. However, the module options are not as interesting (they are still good), the projects are definitely not as interesting and it doesn't seem the uni backs this department as much since its not what it's known for, but that doesn't mean it's badly taught. The gripe I have with this uni now is that it isn't as diverse and the options to do things in the surrounding area and eat out (since I am Muslim options are more limited) are very very limited. I am worried that I won't like it or fit in as this is one of the main reasons I have dropped out of university previously. I have no idea how to tell my parents and family if I do change back to the first uni, especially after they just drove me there to have a look around, they will think Im crazy and tbh I think I'm crazy going back and forth.

When I had my first place I was kind of down and wasn't really looking forward to uni because I thought upon graduation I wouldnt have as much choice and that it was a bad decision to go there so got cold feet , whne I made the choice to switch unis I have been much more happy the past few days and felt content with the choice but looking more into the module choices, my mind is telling me I was better off not changing.
Please anyone just drop any advice (plz don't say take a gap year as I am definitely going this year and a gap year would only delay the back and forth thinking)
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
Wow your mind is in chaos.
1. Do pros and cons figure it out that way , although you only have once choice and it doesnt help we dont know the unis.
2. If that doesnt work then you can try and leave within 7-14 days without fee liability although check the terms.
3. You get a gift year, so if you dont like it you start again, at the cost of wasting a years finance.
4. Resit A levels to get into a super prestigious uni.
5. Take a gap and make an informed decision.
6. Seek a transfer after year 1 if you dont like it.

You seem to like chaos and you need to sort out the things that matter to help your decision making.
I believe those are your options.
If I were as confused as you then I would take a gap and possibly resit. Hard to say without knowing the unis.
Lots of people get anxious before uni, you chose it. If you think its wrong you have the options above, some of which get you out of it.
It is not a race though so whether you go this year or next will make little difference.
User7862010
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Wow your mind is in chaos.
1. Do pros and cons figure it out that way , although you only have once choice and it doesnt help we dont know the unis.
2. If that doesnt work then you can try and leave within 7-14 days without fee liability although check the terms.
3. You get a gift year, so if you dont like it you start again, at the cost of wasting a years finance.
4. Resit A levels to get into a super prestigious uni.
5. Take a gap and make an informed decision.
6. Seek a transfer after year 1 if you dont like it.

You seem to like chaos and you need to sort out the things that matter to help your decision making.
I believe those are your options.
If I were as confused as you then I would take a gap and possibly resit. Hard to say without knowing the unis.
Lots of people get anxious before uni, you chose it. If you think its wrong you have the options above, some of which get you out of it.
It is not a race though so whether you go this year or next will make little difference.
First uni I chose was Manchester. I switched to Warwick. Course is engineering (electrical and electronic. But Warwick is general 1st year bt I'd go electronic).

Do you think I would get taken back after declining the clearing place?
Last edited by User7862010; 1 year ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by User7862010)
First uni I chose was Manchester. I switched to Warwick. Course is engineering (electrical and electronic. But Warwick is general 1st year bt I'd go electronic).

Do you think I would get taken back after declining the clearing place?
Manchester probably full.
Warwick is perfectly good for inv banking.
Talk to princepieman.

Sounds like nerves. You have already said you cant back out so ask (I think they will say no), then move forward make the most of Warwick and if you dont like then transfer or restart. Lot of uni is what you make of it even Coventry.

Make a list of all the positives about Warwick and that might calm you down. You must have had lots of reasons for changing. Remind yourself why.

https://studenthut.com/universities/university-warwick
https://www.studentcrowd.com/univers...rwick-coventry
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (97)
13.6%
I'm not sure (32)
4.49%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (223)
31.28%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.38%
I'm not a current university student (344)
48.25%

Watched Threads