QTS numeracy skills test FAILED 1st attempt, help need some tips!! Watch

Nat9614
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi,

Today I had my 1st attempt at the numeracy skills test and failed by 7 marks. I really panicked when I was doing the test especially in the mental arithmetic section and knew I would fail. I cried for 3 hours but I'm motivated to pass it next time. I will book it again for next Thursday or Friday but I'm really scared I won't pass again. My course starts on the 2nd and if I don't pass I won't be Able to enrol onto my course and won't get my student finance to pay rent. I have no plan B so any
TIPS, LINKS, BOOKS and VIDEOS are welcome please help me out!
meirariem
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Have you watched any of the videos by “QTS Maths Tutor” on YouTube? He explains not only the answer to the question but how to get there as well. I managed to pass first time after watching those and doing the practice papers, it’s a brilliant help! Practice practice practice, you can do this!!
tomlam
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Bloody hell

This was my worst case scenario going into that test. I too don't do well under pressure so I was going in there absolutely ****ting myself.

Firstly, re-book the test straight away! And for as soon as possible. I'm 100% sure that any teacher worth their salt can pass it, the only reason not to is nerves. For me, once I saw the general premise of the questions I calmed down, although there were a few that I was kinda close on, but no less than 5 seconds away from the deadline. There's nothing on that test that every GCSE Maths student hasn't seen before so I'm sure you'll smash it. This is how I did it:

1: Comfort beforehand - I did mine at Edge Hill university so before the test I got myself a nice warm coffee at the Starbucks, it was snowing and sleeting so it helped get me in the right frame of mind.
2: Headphones on, eyes down - for the mental questions I let the computer read the questions to me, looked down at the whiteboard and every time there was a substantial figure (ie: a third, 500 students, six hours) down on the board. Underneath this I started my calculations.
3: Calm down, split up - attempting the full question in one go will be too much for your panicking mind to cope with. Attempt each part of the question separately. Use timelines for questions about time, learn the bus stop method, learn multiplication, learn basic stats.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (201)
23.96%
Pop (208)