Official Thread: Graduate Entry Medicine 2022 Entry

Watch
iesamra
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
If you are applying for 2022 entry, you shouldn't take the UCAT this year (it's only valid for one year) - however you are very welcome to browse the UCAT thread to see how others are doing: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6282054

For GAMSAT you can take it this year for 2022 entry, the GAMSAT thread is here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6429934

:goodluck:
Thank you! I was aware of the UCAT only being for a year but I don't know much about the GAMSAT. How long does this last for?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by iesamra)
Thank you! I was aware of the UCAT only being for a year but I don't know much about the GAMSAT. How long does this last for?
https://gamsat.acer.org/results/currency-of-results

GAMSAT results obtained from different sittings are directly comparable and can be used when applying to certain universities for up to two consecutive years. This means that candidates may apply for admission to the graduate entry schools up to two years after the date on which they sit the test.

Candidates can sit either the March or September test and use the results of either to apply to Australian, Irish and UK programs. Candidates may choose to sit more than one test and use the best score in their application. There is no restriction on the number of times an eligible candidate may sit GAMSAT.

UK: to apply in 2020 for a program commencing in 2021 ONLY the following GAMSAT results can be used: March 2019, September 2019, March 2020, September 2020. (so for 2022 entry just add the years by one!)
iesamra
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
https://gamsat.acer.org/results/currency-of-results

GAMSAT results obtained from different sittings are directly comparable and can be used when applying to certain universities for up to two consecutive years. This means that candidates may apply for admission to the graduate entry schools up to two years after the date on which they sit the test.

Candidates can sit either the March or September test and use the results of either to apply to Australian, Irish and UK programs. Candidates may choose to sit more than one test and use the best score in their application. There is no restriction on the number of times an eligible candidate may sit GAMSAT.

UK: to apply in 2020 for a program commencing in 2021 ONLY the following GAMSAT results can be used: March 2019, September 2019, March 2020, September 2020. (so for 2022 entry just add the years by one!)
Thank you so much! I've only just started looking into GEM so this helps a lot
ginabpk
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hi everyone. I’m going to be applying to GEM 2022 with a Biomed degree from Northumbria. I was meant to apply this year but I sat my UCAT yesterday and absolutely bombed it so I can’t apply anywhere this year lol. I’m hopeful for next year though!
I’m going into my final year of my degree, predicted a high first. I only have GCSE’s in English and maths (C) and I have a level 2 and level 3 BTEC in health and social care at grade D*DD.
I have 18 months volunteering on a renal and gastro ward, I have 40 hours shadowing in A&E and 2 full days in a GP surgery as well as a few other bits here and there.
I’ll be applying to Newcastle, Warwick, Kings and QMUL!
So great to see a thread this far in advance, it’s helpful for someone like me who yesterday thought all was lost. But seeing a 2022 thread makes me feel like there’s hope. Sounds daft but yeah
tjm0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by ginabpk)
Hi everyone. I’m going to be applying to GEM 2022 with a Biomed degree from Northumbria. I was meant to apply this year but I sat my UCAT yesterday and absolutely bombed it so I can’t apply anywhere this year lol. I’m hopeful for next year though!
I’m going into my final year of my degree, predicted a high first. I only have GCSE’s in English and maths (C) and I have a level 2 and level 3 BTEC in health and social care at grade D*DD.
I have 18 months volunteering on a renal and gastro ward, I have 40 hours shadowing in A&E and 2 full days in a GP surgery as well as a few other bits here and there.
I’ll be applying to Newcastle, Warwick, Kings and QMUL!
So great to see a thread this far in advance, it’s helpful for someone like me who yesterday thought all was lost. But seeing a 2022 thread makes me feel like there’s hope. Sounds daft but yeah
Hi there,
Sorry to hear about your application, but don't lose hope! You sound as if you've got a lot of experience under your belt - well done! I've booked into the GAMSAT for September and honestly I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed; I'll be sitting the UCAT next summer before I go into 4th year of uni.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you manage to get experience in a GP? I've found it pretty tricky to get some.
ginabpk
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by tjm0)
Hi there,
Sorry to hear about your application, but don't lose hope! You sound as if you've got a lot of experience under your belt - well done! I've booked into the GAMSAT for September and honestly I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed; I'll be sitting the UCAT next summer before I go into 4th year of uni.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you manage to get experience in a GP? I've found it pretty tricky to get some.
Thank you, I appreciate that I was destroyed as applying this year has been in the works for about 6 years since I was in college, but it wasn’t meant to be this year and there is always next year with you lovely people
I was going to sit the GAMSAT last year but like you, I found it incredibly overwhelming especially alongside my degree, so I cancelled, but I’m considering doing it next year once my degree has finished, but it’s an expensive exam so I’ll have to think about it.

Regarding the GP, I just emailed my practice group and they were okay with me shadowing as long as I could prove I was applying for med school and they wanted a predicted grade from uni. I was pretty lucky to get the placement as I know they are quite hard to come by, but don’t give up on getting some GP experience as I found it invaluable!
Ebenezer1020
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 hours ago
Hey,
My situation is a tricky one I have just completed my first year of pharmacy and realised it isn’t for me and I want to apply for medicine. But it’s already August most applications for medicine are closed in October. Also I haven’t completed UKCAT. So I would have to apply for medicine in 2021 for a place in 2022. I would be 21 when start in 2022. And would have completed my A-Levels 3 years ago. What do my chances look like for a university studying medicine at a UK uni and what things can I do to increase my chances.
Thanks
Clubcard
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 hours ago
(Original post by Ebenezer1020)
Hey,
My situation is a tricky one I have just completed my first year of pharmacy and realised it isn’t for me and I want to apply for medicine. But it’s already August most applications for medicine are closed in October. Also I haven’t completed UKCAT. So I would have to apply for medicine in 2021 for a place in 2022. I would be 21 when start in 2022. And would have completed my A-Levels 3 years ago. What do my chances look like for a university studying medicine at a UK uni and what things can I do to increase my chances.
Thanks
So you want to drop out and apply to medicine as if you were a school leaver? Is graduate entry not something you've considered?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 hours ago
Hey,
Thanks
You still have 1.5 months for UCAT prep (if you take it at the end of Sep) , which is not ideal but doable.

What are your other stats (GCSEs, A Levels) and why did you change your mind?

(Original post by Clubcard)
So you want to drop out and apply to medicine as if you were a school leaver? Is graduate entry not something you've considered?
I wouldn't specifically enter a degree with the aim to do Graduate Entry Medicine. As OP has not started their degree yet, I would encourage them to take a gap year, do some work experience and reapply.

Obviously if they can do it this year, it's also possible...
Last edited by ecolier; 2 hours ago
Clubcard
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 hours ago
You still have 1.5 months for UCAT prep (if you take it at the end of Sep) , which is not ideal but doable.

I wouldn't specifically enter a degree with the aim to do Graduate Entry Medicine. As OP has not started their degree yet, I would encourage them to take a gap year, do some work experience and reapply.

They wrote that they've completed their first year of pharmacy...
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 hours ago
They wrote that they've completed their first year of pharmacy...
Oops sorry, in that case Ebenezer1020 you should continue and aim for GEM.

Ignore what I said
Ebenezer1020
Rep:
?
Report 2 hours ago
I have thought about it but the debt and the fact that I’m not invested and don’t think the course is for me just makes me think that Grad entry doesn’t sound great.
Ebenezer1020
Rep:
?
Report 2 hours ago

What are your other stats (GCSEs, A Levels) and why did you change your mind?

So for GCSE I got 3A’s and 5B’s and 1C. Then for A Level I got AAB maths chemistry and biology respectively. But I’m sure I’m applicable for contextual offers
Ebenezer1020
Rep:
?
Report 2 hours ago
Oops sorry, in that case Ebenezer1020 you should continue and aim for GEM.

Ignore what I said
But GEM would not only mean the debt but also I would have to complete my current course pharmacy. Also GEM is also extremely competitive
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 hour ago
But GEM would not only mean the debt but also I would have to complete my current course pharmacy. Also GEM is also extremely competitive
If you get into GEM (yes, it is very competitive) you'd have to pay £3500 per year and the course is only 4 years (for most GEM med schools).

Dropping out now - you'd just have wasted £9250 with nothing to show for it. At least with a Pharmacy degree if things do not work out, or you wanted some money you could work or locum a bit first.
jzdzm
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 23 minutes ago
If you get into GEM (yes, it is very competitive) you'd have to pay £3500 per year and the course is only 4 years (for most GEM med schools).

Dropping out now - you'd just have wasted £9250 with nothing to show for it. At least with a Pharmacy degree if things do not work out, or you wanted some money you could work or locum a bit first.
You have to pay £3500 fees for the first year only (subsequent years this portion is covered by the NHS).

Ebenezer1020

Total estimated maximum student loan debt for GEM is £22,000 on fees, £22,000 maintenance (for a student in London).
Pharmacy degree (4 yrs) would be £36,000 fees, £52,000 maintenance. Total £132,000.

One year of pharmacy would be £9,250 + £13,000.
5 years of medicine would be £36,000 + £55,000 (I think). Total £113,250.

So there is a difference, but it's not as much as you might think (and would be less if you're out of London). Also remember that as this is student loan funding, you pay it back like an extra bit of tax and it doesn't actually impact on your credit score etc.

On TSR the usual message is that medical schools in general say that university students wanting to apply to medicine should finish the degree they're on first. You'd have to look at admissions policies in detail (or contact universities, or both) to check that dropping out of pharmacy wouldn't mean instant rejection from anywhere you applied.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 19 minutes ago
(Original post by jzdzm)
You have to pay £3500 fees for the first year only (subsequent years this portion is covered by the NHS).

Ebenezer1020

Total estimated maximum student loan debt for GEM is £22,000 on fees, £22,000 maintenance (for a student in London).
Pharmacy degree (4 yrs) would be £36,000 fees, £52,000 maintenance. Total £132,000.

One year of pharmacy would be £9,250 + £13,000.
5 years of medicine would be £36,000 + £55,000 (I think). Total £113,250.

So there is a difference, but it's not as much as you might think (and would be less if you're out of London). Also remember that as this is student loan funding, you pay it back like an extra bit of tax and it doesn't actually impact on your credit score etc.

On TSR the usual message is that medical schools in general say that university students wanting to apply to medicine should finish the degree they're on first. You'd have to look at admissions policies in detail (or contact universities, or both) to check that dropping out of pharmacy wouldn't mean instant rejection from anywhere you applied.
:yy:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the rest of the UK follow the Scottish Results changes announced?

Yes they should (47)
45.63%
No they should not (45)
43.69%
Abstain (11)
10.68%

Watched Threads