Official Thread: Graduate Entry Medicine 2022 Entry

Watch
craftywizardboy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello everyone,

I'm going into my 2nd year for Diagnostic Radiology at the University of Leeds. I'll also be applying for GEM 2022. I did my BTec in Applied Science, but this was the 2016 qualification so we did sit exams for this. I achieved D*D*D* but I do regret not doing A levels as my options are limited. I've achieved a 1st class in my first year so hopefully, this will carry on.

I've decided that I will sit the GAMSAT in March 2021 which should give me enough time to prepare. I've already done a few past papers for section 1 and I'm averaging about 65 which is not too bad but i'm trying to increase my score everyday. I love to read in my spare time so this has been a bonus.
I'll be applying to Swansea, St Georges, Nottingham and Warwick (or Newcastle havent decided yet). My first choice would be Swansea as they are the best for Graduate Medicine and I've also read that their graduates are the most prepared and the least stressed when qualified.

For work experience, I've already had quite a bit already - I've worked for a week in a Radiology department in Birmingham, I've worked on the wards and observed in theatre as well as working in A&E. I've also been a HCA for 6 months and I will now be working as a Radiographer Assistant at LGI. I've also managed to gain some experience as an undergraduate researcher so the aim is to try and get published in Radiography. Also, I've managed to get some work experience at a tissue regeneration biotech company but this has been put on hold due to Covid. I am now a Student Representative for the Classified Undergraduate Programmes (this includes Audiology, Cardiac Physio and Radiography).

Any help would be appreciated for Section 2 on the GAMSAT as this is an area I do neeed a little bit of help on. Good luck to everyone who's applying!
rosienurse
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
hi. i am a nurse and for 10years i have been working in general practice. i really do want to become a GP. looking for 2022 entry to either University of Birmingham or Warwick!
arobrusker
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi!
After two years of thinking and realising I'd made the wrong decision, I've come to the conclusion that I want to become a physician. I know GEM courses are generally competitive and there is no guarantee but I still want to try for 2022 entry.
I'm going into my final year at Durham for Economics and am planning on taking the GAMSAT and applying in September next year.
My A-Levels are in Persian, History, Chemistry and Maths (A*AAA) and I have an AS in Physics which I got a B in. My GCSEs are 5A*s, 6As and a B with AAA* in triple science. However, I haven't had any formal science education since 2018 and am terrified of section 3 of the GAMSAT.
Is it feasible to study for the GAMSAT (albeit, little by little) while finishing up my degree? Do I have a chance at getting in in the first place without a science background?
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by arobrusker)
Hi!
After two years of thinking and realising I'd made the wrong decision, I've come to the conclusion that I want to become a physician. I know GEM courses are generally competitive and there is no guarantee but I still want to try for 2022 entry.
I'm going into my final year at Durham for Economics and am planning on taking the GAMSAT and applying in September next year.
My A-Levels are in Persian, History, Chemistry and Maths (A*AAA) and I have an AS in Physics which I got a B in. My GCSEs are 5A*s, 6As and a B with AAA* in triple science. However, I haven't had any formal science education since 2018 and am terrified of section 3 of the GAMSAT.
Is it feasible to study for the GAMSAT (albeit, little by little) while finishing up my degree?
I didn't do the GAMSAT but if you have As in A level chemistry and maths you're certainly in a strong position. People have done the GAMSAT with far less and still got a good score.

Or you could just apply for non-GAMSAT unis and save yourself the bother?

Do I have a chance at getting in in the first place without a science background?
Yes, otherwise the entry requirements would clearly say so. It's not a trick
arobrusker
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Democracy)
I didn't do the GAMSAT but if you have As in A level chemistry and maths you're certainly in a strong position. People have done the GAMSAT with far less and still got a good score.

Or you could just apply for non-GAMSAT unis and save yourself the bother?

Yes, otherwise the entry requirements would clearly say so. It's not a trick
Thanks for the reassurance. I'd apply to non-GAMSAT unis but as far as I know, I can only apply to Warwick with a non-science degree.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks for the reassurance. I'd apply to non-GAMSAT unis but as far as I know, I can only apply to Warwick with a non-science degree.
This definitely isn't the case, check here:

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...hools-2021.pdf

Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Anyone applying to Warwick?
jzdzm
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi!
Is it feasible to study for the GAMSAT (albeit, little by little) while finishing up my degree? Do I have a chance at getting in in the first place without a science background?
You could apply to
UCAT unis: QMUL, Southampton, Warwick, Newcastle
GAMSAT unis: SGUL, Nottingham, Swansea
No entrance exam: Cambridge

I'd say you're in a strong position for GAMSAT if you did want to do it. I thought my maths A levels and history AS were more useful than my biology A level in prepping (I didn't have chemistry, spent most of my prep time on that).
MayTheMedic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by aspiringgmedicc)
Hi Guys,
I am currently finishing first year adult nursing and I want to apply to Medicine (I did initially apply to it but I didn't get in so the only other route I could take is doing adult nursing since my grades were not good enough for another course)
I got:
Biology C
Chemistry D
Maths E

I am getting 2:1's in my assignments currently, does anybody know of universities that don't look at A-Levels?
I have a list but just looking for any that have missed, really want to do medicine.
I am aware that perhaps nursing was not the best premed route but I didn't have any other option.

Thanks in advance
Hi! I’ve also just completed my first year in Adult Nursing BSc, and am jumping into second year this sept. Initially, I didn’t think of doing Med but through my experience within the wards, I’m kind of leaning towards the role of a doctor. It took me a couple of discussions during the last few months before I finally decided to just go head on and see what happens. So far I’ve done well this year, and looking to start preparing for my UCAT and GAMSAT as of now.

Honestly, I have no clue about where to begin, so please give any tips anyone has about GAMSAT and UCAT (like when to apply, structure, etc).

The unis I’m looking to apply to are Kings, Imperial (if applications open), St George’s, and Southampton (iffy). Since I’m based in London, I’m looking to those within my area and within my scope. Please feel free to give me advise or info about how good/bad these uni gem courses are, thanks!
rosienurse
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
hi, I'm a nurse of 13 years 10 of which I've spent in general practice. i wanted to be a childrens nurse but didn't get the grade so adult was my next choice. im looking to apply in bham, so warwick don't look at your a levels or gcses. university of birmingham do I'm going to apply to both
iesamra
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ginabpk)
Hi everyone. I’m going to be applying to GEM 2022 with a Biomed degree from Northumbria. I was meant to apply this year but I sat my UCAT yesterday and absolutely bombed it so I can’t apply anywhere this year lol. I’m hopeful for next year though!
I’m going into my final year of my degree, predicted a high first. I only have GCSE’s in English and maths (C) and I have a level 2 and level 3 BTEC in health and social care at grade D*DD.
I have 18 months volunteering on a renal and gastro ward, I have 40 hours shadowing in A&E and 2 full days in a GP surgery as well as a few other bits here and there.
I’ll be applying to Newcastle, Warwick, Kings and QMUL!
So great to see a thread this far in advance, it’s helpful for someone like me who yesterday thought all was lost. But seeing a 2022 thread makes me feel like there’s hope. Sounds daft but yeah
I'm glad you found inspiration from the thread! You sound like you have a lot of experience and I'm sure you'll do well with biomed and your next UCAT now that you've been through it once!
rosienurse
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
i have a degree in biomed and nursing. i was planning to apply this year but will apply for 2022 entry
BubbleBabby
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey!
I kind of just need encouragement right now because I’m feeling pretty low. I got my UCAT score back and even though I didn’t flop I didn’t score too well either , 2620 I got somewhat decent grades so far mid 2.1 at uni and got 3 B’s at A level.
Hence to pull it up I needed to smash it but didn’t .
Got a lot of work experience however it spans 4 years and some require it to be recent ... I couldn’t do it during the summer due to COVID .
Right now I’m feeling a little down trodden and I’ve already got a lot of pressure from my family to get in as a got an offer undergrad but missed due to health reasons. I really want to become a Psychiatrist even though it can be demanding .
I’ve been planing on taking a gap year for some time and now It’s almost certain!
I’m also wondering what types of jobs I could do Just for a year whilst getting work experience/volunteering within mental health Profession ? I think having a set plan for the year would be very good.
LittlePhoton
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi intend to do graduate entry medicine and I am wondering if I can sit for some A level exams for those subjects I need a better grade when I am at university doing first year of my undergraduate course. For example, if I couldn't get a good grade in chemistry A level exam but want to get higher grade, can I just sit for chemistry A level exam next year, when I would be doing first year at uni? Would graduate entry admissions teams at med schools that require A levels accept this higher grade even though I sit for the exam when I was in uni?
Last edited by LittlePhoton; 2 weeks ago
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by LittlePhoton)
Hii intend to do graduate entry medicine and I am wondering if I can sit for some A level exams for those subjects I need a better grade when I am at university doing first year of my undergraduate course. For example, if I couldn't get a good grade in chemistry A level exam but want to get higher grade, can I just sit for chemistry A level exam next year, when I would be doing first year at uni? Would graduate entry admissions teams at med schools that require A levels accept this higher grade even though I sit for the exam when I was in uni?
Please post your GEM queries in this thread so the experts can answer your questions.

Some GEM unis specify how many years the A-Levels can last before they "expire" so you'll need to double check with the individual med schools.

LittlePhoton please don't double post, it's against TSR rules. Keep your GEM queries here if you are applying for 2022 entry.
Last edited by ecolier; 2 weeks ago
LittlePhoton
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Please post your GEM queries in this thread so the experts can answer your questions.

Some GEM unis specify how many years the A-Levels can last before they "expire" so you'll need to double check with the individual med schools.

LittlePhoton please don't double post, it's against TSR rules. Keep your GEM queries here if you are applying for 2022 entry.
thank you 😊 but I specifically wonder if I can just sit for A level exam when I am at uni let's say last year of uni and GEM admission team accept the results?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by LittlePhoton)
thank you 😊 but I specifically wonder if I can just sit for A level exam when I am at uni let's say last year of uni and GEM admission team accept the results?
Yes. If you declare that you are taking the exam to UCAS, the med school (if they give you an offer) may state "must achieve 2:1, and a B grade in Chemistry" for example.
alishacrowe
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi! Im a criminology (1st class honours) grad as of 2020. I sat my UCAT this year but only scored 2520 due to nerves mainly! Although I will send my application off this year, i'm almost certain ill get an upright rejection based on my UCAT. Therefore, 2021 I will be resitting the UCAT. My work experience includes: I am a trained phlebotomist, I have shadowed nurses and doctors at my local GP, I am due to start my job as a HCA at Coventry University Hospital soon (after 4 months of waiting). My goal now is just to keep up with my work experience and then when next year comes around smash the UCAT and score higher!
alishacrowe
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by BubbleBabby)
Hey!
I kind of just need encouragement right now because I’m feeling pretty low. I got my UCAT score back and even though I didn’t flop I didn’t score too well either , 2620 I got somewhat decent grades so far mid 2.1 at uni and got 3 B’s at A level.
Hence to pull it up I needed to smash it but didn’t .
Got a lot of work experience however it spans 4 years and some require it to be recent ... I couldn’t do it during the summer due to COVID .
Right now I’m feeling a little down trodden and I’ve already got a lot of pressure from my family to get in as a got an offer undergrad but missed due to health reasons. I really want to become a Psychiatrist even though it can be demanding .
I’ve been planing on taking a gap year for some time and now It’s almost certain!
I’m also wondering what types of jobs I could do Just for a year whilst getting work experience/volunteering within mental health Profession ? I think having a set plan for the year would be very good.
Hi I am feeling quite similar to you, I only got 2520 in my UCAT this year (due to nerves Im pretty sure) and therefore will be retrying next year. Im feeling very deflated as I really wanted to make it to interview but my score will prevent that. I got a job as a HCA 4 months ago, which will be great experience. You could apply specifically to assist on mental health wards. But realistically, any experience will be valid, therefore a HCA on any ward! A physio assistant, etc. I wanted Paeds but got allocated stroke ward, and I am excited to experience other things too!
BubbleBabby
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by alishacrowe)
Hi I am feeling quite similar to you, I only got 2520 in my UCAT this year (due to nerves Im pretty sure) and therefore will be retrying next year. Im feeling very deflated as I really wanted to make it to interview but my score will prevent that. I got a job as a HCA 4 months ago, which will be great experience. You could apply specifically to assist on mental health wards. But realistically, any experience will be valid, therefore a HCA on any ward! A physio assistant, etc. I wanted Paeds but got allocated stroke ward, and I am excited to experience other things too!
Are you also heading for your last year of university or have you already graduated?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (28)
29.17%
Less motivated (68)
70.83%

Watched Threads