Zainab.1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I need help
I don’t know if I picked the correct A levels
I want to do history at university but I’m scared that I picked really hard A level (particularly philosophy) because they are all really heavy with content
Should I change philosophy to sociology or psychology
Although I do have an interest in philosophy but I’m just scared I won’t be able to do as good in my final a level exams because there will just be too much content
My GCSE results were
8 in history
8 in citizenship
7 religions studies
6 English lang + lit
Deggs_14
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What is the other subject along with history (and philosophy that you debated)?
Hydri
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
English literature , religious studies , sociology , psychology , maths
Zainab.1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Deggs_14)
What is the other subject along with history (and philosophy that you debated

I ... k
Last edited by Zainab.1; 1 year ago
Zainab.1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Deggs_14)
What is the other subject along with history (and philosophy that you debated
hi, sorry for the late response but I am currently contemplating on changing philosophy to sociology only because the other two subjects that I'm doing for A level are voted to be hard (especially history)
history and government and politics are very heavy content wise so I was thinking on changing philosophy to sociology to make my life a bit easier as I have heard that philosophy Is really complex and hard to get your head around.
although I quite enjoyed religious studies during GCSEs I was told that philosophy is way harder than GCSEs and that I shouldn't compare GCSEs to A levels
although I am quite worried about memorising all the content I have been told that sociology has more content than philosophy but is much easier and it has been voted to be in the top 10 easiest A levels whereas, history and philosophy has been in the top 10 hardest
so I don't know what to do as I quite enjoyed religious studied during GCSEs and I have tried revising the first section. of philosophy and it is quite hard as there are complex words and difficult theories but I have glanced at the sociology past paper and see it as relatively easier and less intense than philosophy as you have to sit two 3 hour exams
Zainab.1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hydri)
English literature , religious studies , sociology , psychology , maths
I'm contemplating if I should change philosophy to sociology but I'm not sure
shadowlils
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zainab.1)
Hi, I need help
I don’t know if I picked the correct A levels
I want to do history at university but I’m scared that I picked really hard A level (particularly philosophy) because they are all really heavy with content
Should I change philosophy to sociology or psychology
Although I do have an interest in philosophy but I’m just scared I won’t be able to do as good in my final a level exams because there will just be too much content
My GCSE results were
8 in history
8 in citizenship
7 religions studies
6 English lang + lit
Here's some advice from my own experience. I just took my A Levels a couple of months ago - Eng Lit, History. and Philosophy (or Religious Studies).

For all three, please please ask yourself if you're taking it because you want to take it or because you have to. For me, it was a mixture of both - they were great facilitating subjects to complement my chosen degree at university but, coincidentally, those three were the three subjects I've enjoyed the most. I think if you genuinely don't enjoy these subjects, you will have a difficult time motivating yourself to write essay after essay. It isn't like maths where you can answer a 3marker or a 1marker here or there, you need to have the will to write a full essay on it (intro, arguments, concl).

Philosophy, along with other essay subjects, is heavy on the course content. You need to have an equal balance of exam techniques and knowledge. There's no use having the essay techniques down if you don't have the knowledge or vice versa. For Philosophy there was a lot to learn - a lot of theories, a lot of scholars to remember, and you need to be complex in your thinking that you can identify and argue for and against a certain viewpoint. This will be the same for Eng Lit, History etc.

But the amount of content is compensated by how interesting it is. Some topics I disliked (like Meta Ethics), some I absolutely loved (like Body Mind and Soul or Arguments for the Exisstence of God).

I would encourage you to go for Philosophy - it is an incredibly interesting subject to learn about
Last edited by shadowlils; 1 year ago
Zainab.1
Rep:
?
(Original post by shadowlils)
Here's some advice from my own experience. I just took my A Levels a couple of months ago - Eng Lit, History. and Philosophy (or Religious Studies).

For all three, please please ask yourself if you're taking it because you want to take it or because you have to. For me, it was a mixture of both - they were great facilitating subjects to complement my chosen degree at university but, coincidentally, those three were the three subjects I've enjoyed the most. I think if you genuinely don't enjoy these subjects, you will have a difficult time motivating yourself to write essay after essay. It isn't like maths where you can answer a 3marker or a 1marker here or there, you need to have the will to write a full essay on it (intro, arguments, concl).

Philosophy, along with other essay subjects, is heavy on the course content. You need to have an equal balance of exam techniques and knowledge. There's no use having the essay techniques down if you don't have the knowledge or vice versa. For Philosophy there was a lot to learn - a lot of theories, a lot of scholars to remember, and you need to be complex in your thinking that you can identify and argue for and against a certain viewpoint. This will be the same for Eng Lit, History etc.

But the amount of content is compensated by how interesting it is. Some topics I disliked (like Meta Ethics), some I absolutely loved (like Body Mind and Soul or Arguments for the Exisstence of God).

I would encourage you to go for Philosophy - it is an incredibly interesting subject to learn about
Thank you very much! I appreciate the advice I am fully convinced that I should do philosophy for A levels.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
16.98%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.62%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (119)
37.42%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (43)
13.52%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.46%

Watched Threads