The Student Room Group

Only achieved one GCSE, rejected from sixth form, what can I do now?

Hi all, got my results on the 22nd and, needles to say, was absolutely gutted when I opened the envelope. I got:

7 in English Language
Distinction in Spoken Language
3 in Biology
2 in German
2 in English Lit
2 in History
2 in Maths

I took my exams in a hospital setting, e.g. on a hospital ward, and exam conditions weren’t ideal as it was extremely noisy. I know that’s no excuse for failure. I’ve missed a lot of school since I started my education due to hospital visits or issues with my mental health and physical health.

I went to the sixth form I was hoping to attend, although I told my nana I didn’t want to go. She came with me, and we were told there was no way to even attempt my A Levels with my results. They referred me to a college to do a Level 2 BTEC, but that really isn’t my cup of tea. I wanted to study psychology, politics and history at A Levels, but my dreams have absolutely been crushed.

I can’t even redo Year 11 because A. My school won’t let me and B. I’m so scared of being left behind or being judged.

If I do get accepted into the college, I’m hoping to do a BTEC in health and social care, but I doubt I will since they’re looking for four’s :frown:
You may sit your GCSEs privately but at a cost.
You can look at getting an Apprenticeship.

It's not all doom and gloom.
Damn. Not sure but I think you can apply for special consideration on account of what you were going through from the exam boards.
I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I recieved one 6, three 5s, two Us (combined science) one 3 and two merits in two different BTECs. I've applied to two different places for A-levels and i presume aren't going to get back to me until after bank holiday. I'm filled with dread and nervousness and according to them via. a phone call, they said that a BTEC can count in their offer - i think, at least. I'm simply saying this to perhaps calm your nerves

Edit: i'm here if you need to talk
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Seeing as places reqire you to have GCSE maths & English, a lot of colleges are really good at putting their level 3 (A level equivalent) through GCSE or equivalent (level 2).
Speak to the college where you're planning to do Health & Social Care. If your school is being really unhelpful, they may have some alternatives and ways of helping.
Original post by rottengirl
Hi all, got my results on the 22nd and, needles to say, was absolutely gutted when I opened the envelope. I got:

7 in English Language
Distinction in Spoken Language
3 in Biology
2 in German
2 in English Lit
2 in History
2 in Maths

I took my exams in a hospital setting, e.g. on a hospital ward, and exam conditions weren’t ideal as it was extremely noisy. I know that’s no excuse for failure. I’ve missed a lot of school since I started my education due to hospital visits or issues with my mental health and physical health.

I went to the sixth form I was hoping to attend, although I told my nana I didn’t want to go. She came with me, and we were told there was no way to even attempt my A Levels with my results. They referred me to a college to do a Level 2 BTEC, but that really isn’t my cup of tea. I wanted to study psychology, politics and history at A Levels, but my dreams have absolutely been crushed.

I can’t even redo Year 11 because A. My school won’t let me and B. I’m so scared of being left behind or being judged.

If I do get accepted into the college, I’m hoping to do a BTEC in health and social care, but I doubt I will since they’re looking for four’s :frown:

Hun don’t stress really! College don’t only do Level 3 courses, they do level 1 and 2 as well! You can get into Level 2 Health and Social Care and retake your maths and english at College
Two things, one, get evidence for where you took your exams and why. That way if a university or employer asks for extenuating circumstances you have proof and evidence.

Secondly, find a school/college that will allow you to retake your GCSEs. I did. Initially I was scared of being judged but now I own it. It's my story. The college I went to the majority of people were resits. They were either resitting GCSEs, AS Levels or A Levels. When I got to university there were people taking foundation courses as they didn't do too well in their A Levels.

Look, don't feel ashamed. Failure happens. Brush off, smile and figure out your next steps. But I promise you, there is nothing wrong with retaking your GCSEs!
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest