Only achieved one GCSE, rejected from sixth form, what can I do now?

Watch
rottengirl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi all, got my results on the 22nd and, needles to say, was absolutely gutted when I opened the envelope. I got:

7 in English Language
Distinction in Spoken Language
3 in Biology
2 in German
2 in English Lit
2 in History
2 in Maths

I took my exams in a hospital setting, e.g. on a hospital ward, and exam conditions weren’t ideal as it was extremely noisy. I know that’s no excuse for failure. I’ve missed a lot of school since I started my education due to hospital visits or issues with my mental health and physical health.

I went to the sixth form I was hoping to attend, although I told my nana I didn’t want to go. She came with me, and we were told there was no way to even attempt my A Levels with my results. They referred me to a college to do a Level 2 BTEC, but that really isn’t my cup of tea. I wanted to study psychology, politics and history at A Levels, but my dreams have absolutely been crushed.

I can’t even redo Year 11 because A. My school won’t let me and B. I’m so scared of being left behind or being judged.

If I do get accepted into the college, I’m hoping to do a BTEC in health and social care, but I doubt I will since they’re looking for four’s
T-seriesTSR
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You may sit your GCSEs privately but at a cost.
You can look at getting an Apprenticeship.

It's not all doom and gloom.
RandomHumanBeing
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Damn. Not sure but I think you can apply for special consideration on account of what you were going through from the exam boards.
username4469564
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I recieved one 6, three 5s, two Us (combined science) one 3 and two merits in two different BTECs. I've applied to two different places for A-levels and i presume aren't going to get back to me until after bank holiday. I'm filled with dread and nervousness and according to them via. a phone call, they said that a BTEC can count in their offer - i think, at least. I'm simply saying this to perhaps calm your nerves

Edit: i'm here if you need to talk
Last edited by username4469564; 2 years ago
Emily_B
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Seeing as places reqire you to have GCSE maths & English, a lot of colleges are really good at putting their level 3 (A level equivalent) through GCSE or equivalent (level 2).
Speak to the college where you're planning to do Health & Social Care. If your school is being really unhelpful, they may have some alternatives and ways of helping.
Bluealfiesky
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rottengirl)
Hi all, got my results on the 22nd and, needles to say, was absolutely gutted when I opened the envelope. I got:

7 in English Language
Distinction in Spoken Language
3 in Biology
2 in German
2 in English Lit
2 in History
2 in Maths

I took my exams in a hospital setting, e.g. on a hospital ward, and exam conditions weren’t ideal as it was extremely noisy. I know that’s no excuse for failure. I’ve missed a lot of school since I started my education due to hospital visits or issues with my mental health and physical health.

I went to the sixth form I was hoping to attend, although I told my nana I didn’t want to go. She came with me, and we were told there was no way to even attempt my A Levels with my results. They referred me to a college to do a Level 2 BTEC, but that really isn’t my cup of tea. I wanted to study psychology, politics and history at A Levels, but my dreams have absolutely been crushed.

I can’t even redo Year 11 because A. My school won’t let me and B. I’m so scared of being left behind or being judged.

If I do get accepted into the college, I’m hoping to do a BTEC in health and social care, but I doubt I will since they’re looking for four’s
Hun don’t stress really! College don’t only do Level 3 courses, they do level 1 and 2 as well! You can get into Level 2 Health and Social Care and retake your maths and english at College
MrMusician95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Two things, one, get evidence for where you took your exams and why. That way if a university or employer asks for extenuating circumstances you have proof and evidence.

Secondly, find a school/college that will allow you to retake your GCSEs. I did. Initially I was scared of being judged but now I own it. It's my story. The college I went to the majority of people were resits. They were either resitting GCSEs, AS Levels or A Levels. When I got to university there were people taking foundation courses as they didn't do too well in their A Levels.

Look, don't feel ashamed. Failure happens. Brush off, smile and figure out your next steps. But I promise you, there is nothing wrong with retaking your GCSEs!
Last edited by MrMusician95; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (12)
7.19%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (28)
16.77%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (27)
16.17%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
14.37%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (45)
26.95%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (31)
18.56%

Watched Threads