Carleyodp
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello,

I really want to do graduate entry to medicine at Warwick but it’s so far away from me it wouldn’t be possible. I live in Manchester and I have a three year old and partner also so it’s extra hard as he isn’t prepared to move house etc. Are there any other universities closer to the north west that do graduate entry (4 years)with entry requirements as degree only ?

I did think about the other courses over 5 years but I’m 32 so would like to be done slightly sooner rather than later because I’m already playing catch up with it being over the 4 years.

I have a clinical background and a First class honours degree.

Would love to apply to Manchester but I don’t have A-Levels (which they require) only access course.

I need some advice if possible please ? Thank you
GANFYD
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Carleyodp)
Hello,

I really want to do graduate entry to medicine at Warwick but it’s so far away from me it wouldn’t be possible. I live in Manchester and I have a three year old and partner also so it’s extra hard as he isn’t prepared to move house etc. Are there any other universities closer to the north west that do graduate entry (4 years)with entry requirements as degree only ?

I did think about the other courses over 5 years but I’m 32 so would like to be done slightly sooner rather than later because I’m already playing catch up with it being over the 4 years.

Would love to apply to Manchester but I don’t have A-Levels (which they require) only access course.

Have a look here and see if there is anything suitable
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf
jzdzm
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello,

If your degree is in life sciences, you could consider Liverpool GEM (you wouldn't be able to apply this year though as they ask for the GAMSAT), and look at Birmingham GEM (Might be a long commute but it depends exactly where you are).

If you could fund a 5 year course though, the extra year isn't such a big deal really (I'm starting at 4 year 34) and you'd have a lot more options.
Carleyodp
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thank you for the reply . So Liverpool want A-levels because I asked them already so I can’t go there I have thought about UCLan because they’re excellent university and I have their entry requirements. I am sitting the ukcat in October just in case I apply to Warwick. I really would love to go Warwick as it’s 4 years and just quicker but I hear much more intense. Plus you get fees help with the graduate entry and it’s harder to fund the 5 year course isn’t it if you have a degree. I’ve been told of student finance I can only have maintenance loan not tuition fee loan so that’s another issue paying the fees. Do you have a previous degree ?

Thank you
jzdzm
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you for the reply . So Liverpool want A-levels because I asked them already so I can’t go there I have thought about UCLan because they’re excellent university and I have their entry requirements. I am sitting the ukcat in October just in case I apply to Warwick. I really would love to go Warwick as it’s 4 years and just quicker but I hear much more intense. Plus you get fees help with the graduate entry and it’s harder to fund the 5 year course isn’t it if you have a degree. I’ve been told of student finance I can only have maintenance loan not tuition fee loan so that’s another issue paying the fees. Do you have a previous degree ?

Thank you
Oh sorry yes Birmingham need A levels too... you might be quite limited in your options. Graduate Entry programmes that don't look at A levels are: Newcastle, Warwick, SGUL, KCL, Swansea, Nottingham. Also possibly QMUL / scotGEM if your degree is deemed to contain sufficient Biology and Chemistry. Southampton may accept an access course.

Yes I have a degree, otherwise I would not have been able to apply for 4 year courses. I didn't apply for any 5 year courses because of the financing, so I'm afraid I don't know about their entry requirements for graduates. There's a graduates applying for 5 year courses thread, the people there may know.

Good luck!
Last edited by jzdzm; 4 weeks ago
Marathi
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm a Warwick GEM student and I'm also from the North West!

There are people on the course with young children and people who commute a bit of a distance (over an hour). Coventry to Manchester is a ~2hr journey and can be quite reasonable cost-wise if you book in advance. Have you considered:

- living in Coventry during the week and commuting home at weekends (difficult with a little one!)

- commuting everyday on the train? I know it would be a horrible journey everyday (especially given trains at the moment) but it would give you a good opportunity to condense notes, still allow you to be at home in the evening and may be financially viable compared to renting (virgin trains says ~130 pw, or ~500 pm)

- moving down anyway with your child (the uni has good support for parents, or so I have heard) and having a long-distance relationship with your partner, what is putting them off moving? Perhaps there are things that can be addressed (worried about jobs, friends, etc), if this is something you're really serious about then it may be worth trying to come an agreement

At the moment at Warwick lectures are not mandatory for attendance (they record them and put the videos online as well as the presentation files) - although this may change in the future. Attendance monitored sessions can be fairly minimal but are certainly more numerous in the first year. Clinical placements could be difficult with living far away as some consultants can be demanding with attendance and there can be some early starts and late finishes.

If you have more questions specific to Warwick give me a shout - sorry if some of my suggestions seem obvious/unrealistic but just wanted to put some things out there!
Carleyodp
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thank you so much for your reply this was so helpful! I have considered travelling down mid week and then coming home weekends I would miss my child so much though I’m not sure if I could do that but I have thought of it. Can I also ask. With GEM entry are you able to apply for student loans still or not? I have previous student loans and would need a loan to help with some fees I am told mixed things and not sure which is right ??
Marathi
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you so much for your reply this was so helpful! I have considered travelling down mid week and then coming home weekends I would miss my child so much though I’m not sure if I could do that but I have thought of it. Can I also ask. With GEM entry are you able to apply for student loans still or not? I have previous student loans and would need a loan to help with some fees I am told mixed things and not sure which is right ??
Hey, sorry for the slow reply. I've had exams and moved house at the same time! Yes you get some funding from student finance but not as much as usual:
Year 1 = ~£5500 towards tuition fees and you cover the other ~£3500 yourself + £9000 in maintenance loans
Years 2-4 = ~£5500 towards tuition fees and the NHS covers the other ~£3500. But you only get ~£2500 in maintenance loans, however you do get an NHS bursary which is ~£5000 and non-repayable.

Hope this helps clear things up, this is regardless of whether you've had previous student loans or not.
Carleyodp
Rep:
?
(Original post by Marathi)
Hey, sorry for the slow reply. I've had exams and moved house at the same time! Yes you get some funding from student finance but not as much as usual:
Year 1 = ~£5500 towards tuition fees and you cover the other ~£3500 yourself + £9000 in maintenance loans
Years 2-4 = ~£5500 towards tuition fees and the NHS covers the other ~£3500. But you only get ~£2500 in maintenance loans, however you do get an NHS bursary which is ~£5000 and non-repayable.

Hope this helps clear things up, this is regardless of whether you've had previous student loans or not.
This is really helpful thank you very much. I am off work for the next few days so I am going to think about what options I have. It’s so difficult with a family as my partner is settled and I have a three year old and he isn’t prepared to move because of mortgage. I may have to try and get the train down it is a lot of travelling every day I travel to work one hour a day now , hour there hour back.

Can I ask when in lectures are the hours 9-4 ? Shorter or longer ? Are you in 5 days a week? And when clinical what are the hours ?

I work in a hospital now as an ODP and my hours are very long 8-6 , 8-8 , 12-12 all varied but long hours so I was wondering if it’s like this or set hours ? Thank you
Marathi
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This is really helpful thank you very much. I am off work for the next few days so I am going to think about what options I have. It’s so difficult with a family as my partner is settled and I have a three year old and he isn’t prepared to move because of mortgage. I may have to try and get the train down it is a lot of travelling every day I travel to work one hour a day now , hour there hour back.

Can I ask when in lectures are the hours 9-4 ? Shorter or longer ? Are you in 5 days a week? And when clinical what are the hours ?

I work in a hospital now as an ODP and my hours are very long 8-6 , 8-8 , 12-12 all varied but long hours so I was wondering if it’s like this or set hours ? Thank you
At Warwick the lecture times can vary, but typically it's 9-5. Except Friday's where there are a few 8am starts and the teaching takes place at the hospital. Currently first years have Wednesday off.

Clinical years are incredibly varied - depending on consultants, rotations, GP locations, etc. Some second year students had to do night shifts for their labour placement shifts, then in 3rd/4th year you are expected to do some night shifts and weekend shifts too.
FingersXed84
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Thank you
Just wanted to say that an extra year at your age is not as big a deal as you think. I’m 35 and trying to get into medicine. I am also a women who hasn’t had kids yet but would love some (so that’s risky too). Hope you get something that suits 💕
Carleyodp
Rep:
?
(Original post by FingersXed84)
Just wanted to say that an extra year at your age is not as big a deal as you think. I’m 35 and trying to get into medicine. I am also a women who hasn’t had kids yet but would love some (so that’s risky too). Hope you get something that suits 💕
Ahhh thank you for this it’s nice to hear that I’m not deluded or being unrealistic- just ambitious! People are having children older now anyway I don’t believe that is a problem honestly. My friend is 43 and she’s having a baby girl. I hope we can both get what we want from life ! I’ve just been writing my personal statement for ucas. All this preparation is stressful but it will be worth it I am sure ! 🙌🏻 good luck for you xx
FingersXed84
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ahhh thank you for this it’s nice to hear that I’m not deluded or being unrealistic- just ambitious! People are having children older now anyway I don’t believe that is a problem honestly. My friend is 43 and she’s having a baby girl. I hope we can both get what we want from life ! I’ve just been writing my personal statement for ucas. All this preparation is stressful but it will be worth it I am sure ! 🙌🏻 good luck for you xx
Thank you. Wish I could help more but I’m a scot applying to Scottish universities (which is significantly cheaper). Have you got a shortlist now of where you want to go? And have you sat your UCAT?
Carleyodp
Rep:
?
Thank you. Wish I could help more but I’m a scot applying to Scottish universities (which is significantly cheaper). Have you got a shortlist now of where you want to go? And have you sat your UCAT?
Don’t worry you have been very helpful thank you. I would ideally want to do graduate entry medicine as it’s better for me with fees as I can still get student loan and help from nhs government with fees whereas with undergrad I can’t have a loan for fees because I’ve had one before so I would have to self fund but it isn’t possible really? I would be allowed a maintenance loan but how would I then live - plus grad entry is over 4 years and undergrad is over 5 so it’s longer too.

I would like to go to Liverpool as it’s ideal for me to get to (closest) their entry criteria is a-levels but I since found today when I rang they may accept my access course so I am just waiting to hear back. Their entrance exam is GAMSAT so I would have to sit that in march now as the deadline was today.

I have my UKCAT booked for October as I will apply to Warwick (would love to go there) but only problem is the commute - I did look at UCLan but it’s undergraduate and fees would be difficult to afford so I am not sure about that yet. I am praying Liverpool get back to me and say I can apply with my access course and my health science degree and if so I’ll be over the moon and apply for there. You can’t defer graduate entry as far as I am aware so I will not be able to apply until next year now with the GAMSAT. It’s all very confusing I’ve had to write lots of notes and things down as it all gets really complexed doesn’t it 🤦🏼*♀️😭
Carleyodp
Rep:
?
Not sure why my emojis shows a mans face- I’m getting sleepy haha
FingersXed84
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Don’t worry you have been very helpful thank you. I would ideally want to do graduate entry medicine as it’s better for me with fees as I can still get student loan and help from nhs government with fees whereas with undergrad I can’t have a loan for fees because I’ve had one before so I would have to self fund but it isn’t possible really? I would be allowed a maintenance loan but how would I then live - plus grad entry is over 4 years and undergrad is over 5 so it’s longer too.

I would like to go to Liverpool as it’s ideal for me to get to (closest) their entry criteria is a-levels but I since found today when I rang they may accept my access course so I am just waiting to hear back. Their entrance exam is GAMSAT so I would have to sit that in march now as the deadline was today.

I have my UKCAT booked for October as I will apply to Warwick (would love to go there) but only problem is the commute - I did look at UCLan but it’s undergraduate and fees would be difficult to afford so I am not sure about that yet. I am praying Liverpool get back to me and say I can apply with my access course and my health science degree and if so I’ll be over the moon and apply for there. You can’t defer graduate entry as far as I am aware so I will not be able to apply until next year now with the GAMSAT. It’s all very confusing I’ve had to write lots of notes and things down as it all gets really complexed doesn’t it 🤦🏼*♀️😭
Yeah the whole system is more complicated than it needs to be. However, it does mean that some courses will be more interested in you than others (depending on what they value). I did a dummy run last year which has taught me a lot so it’s not a big deal if you end up doing it next time. Or can you sit the the GAMSAT in March and get in this time?

Side issue - you might find the GAMSAT easier than the UCAT with your background.
Carleyodp
Rep:
?
Yeah the whole system is more complicated than it needs to be. However, it does mean that some courses will be more interested in you than others (depending on what they value). I did a dummy run last year which has taught me a lot so it’s not a big deal if you end up doing it next time. Or can you sit the the GAMSAT in March and get in this time?

Side issue - you might find the GAMSAT easier than the UCAT with your background.
So have you applied yet also ? Is it the same in Scotland the process ?

Well I hope so! The UKCAT revision is a little stressful ha. It’s not too bad on some parts but other areas are really confusing. Very strange exam but I get the method in the madness of why it’s desired for medicine.
Carleyodp
Rep:
?
If I sit GAMSAT in March that will be for 2021 I think? Not sure though. The benefit to that is that I will be able to save some money for a good year - every cloud !

Are you doing graduate entry ? What is your background ?
Last edited by Carleyodp; 1 week ago
FingersXed84
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If I sit GAMSAT in March that will be for 2021 I think? Not sure though. The benefit to that is that I will be able to save some money for a good year - every cloud !

Are you doing graduate entry ? What is your background ?
My background is law. So I want to do the 5 year as I’ll need the extra year. In Scotland, fees are a lot less (less than £2k a year plus 5th year is free). So it’s basically £8k if I get into Glasgow (my home city).

Having an extra year to save isn’t a bad thing. Plus you may benefit from practice interviews so perhaps apply to other universities you wouldn’t want but would get an interview for.

The UCAT (formerly UKCAT) is a hard exam to do really well in without a lot of practice. But you do a little every day and you’ll get better. What are you using to practice on?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (19)
6.17%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (178)
57.79%
No (111)
36.04%

Watched Threads