Age gaps: Should they be banned? Watch

AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Why do some men (particularly in Hollywood) seem to exclusively date women half their age?

Is this not introducing an unacceptable power dynamic, the same dynamic that (rightfully) makes it illegal for teachers to date their students?

https://twitter.com/zebraheadphones/...34272641814528
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s only illegal if the teacher is male..
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
It’s only illegal if the teacher is male..
Is that actually true, I don't think so?
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Is that actually true, I don't think so?
No, it's not
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
Why do some men (particularly in Hollywood) seem to exclusively date women half their age?

Is this not introducing an unacceptable power dynamic, the same dynamic that (rightfully) makes it illegal for teachers to date their students?

https://twitter.com/zebraheadphones/...34272641814528
Do you really need that explained?

Why would you like to ban something just because you disagree with it. I really get annoyed at this type of intolerance that we show towards each other. We're supposed to be a liberal society but with very are much the opposite. The people who claim to be liberal tend to be the ones that are the most illiberal!

My partner is 8 years older than me, she's the best thing that's ever happened to me. Why do you want to outlaw our happiness?
Last edited by Burton Bridge; 1 month ago
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)

Probably due to the fact that your average 25 year old looks a lot better than your average 50 year old..

ygm?
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Obolinda)
No, it's not
Thanks I thought not.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
men peak older then women... not a lot you can do about it. Its impossible to change what people are attracted to, and any restrictions based on morality will have to be very well justified, pedophelia etc.

Sucks for older women, sucks for younger, poorer men. not a lot you can do. Its one reason why marriage is actually a great thing for women, in the old days they knew that getting a man when your in your peak and locking him down to you forever is far more bennifical on average then watching your relatiosnhip break down when your in your 40s... then seeing you struggle to find a decent guy while he dates a younger girl.
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There's no point dating a 50 year old woman if you want kids. You can date a 50 year old man and still have kids.

Regarding the comparison with teachers and students, age is not a power dynamic that the younger person is forced into. A kid cannot simply refuse to deal with their teacher, for reasons of their education, but an adult is not compelled by law to obey/respect old men.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is true but I went for an older woman and I couldn't be happier I did.
Onde
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've never met anyone exactly my age, sadly.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, age gaps should not be outlawed.
So long as both people are above the legal age of consent and nothing illegal is occurring.

Every guy I have ever dated has been older than me, I've never dated a man in his 20s.
I'm only attracted to older men and usually date with a minimum 15 year age gap.
When I was 16 I briefly dated a guy in his 50s.
The last ex was in his early 40s when I ended the relationship, I was 19.

Male celebrities that date younger women are often divorced and looking for a trophy girlfriend younger than their ex-wife.
Some female celebrities are attracted to younger men too- Demi Moore, Sam Taylor Wood, Mimi Rogers, Barbara Windsor and Linda Lusardi.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Of course not! My fiance is 7 years older than me and we are perfect for each other. Couldn't imagine myself with someone my age
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you don't want an age gap, don't have one. Other people's relationships don't affect you.

Even in the world of celebs where women/men are using their partners, so what? They get a partner with money, and in return the rich person gets a hot partner. Win win. Adults wouldn't get into a relationship unless they were happy with the motive behind it. Leave them be.
Msbrownie.xo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
If you don't want an age gap, don't have one. Other people's relationships don't affect you.

Even in the world of celebs where women/men are using their partners, so what? They get a partner with money, and in return the rich person gets a hot partner. Win win. Adults wouldn't get into a relationship unless they were happy with the motive behind it. Leave them be.
unless pedos are involved lmao
adam271
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think the word ban gets thrown to lightly and too often.

I don't like Ronaldo lets ban him!

The age gap issue has been addressed a law was passed. The age of consent is 16.
Now you can either make it criminal for two consenting adults to be together because of age.
OR
you can drastically increase the age someone stays a minor to say like 25.

I don't think neither are practical.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Msbrownie.xo)
unless pedos are involved lmao
Well yes, sex with underage people should (and is!!!!) be banned, but that wasn't the question.. so..
AngeryPenguin
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
Well yes, sex with underage people should (and is!!!!) be banned, but that wasn't the question.. so..
But it is not just banned for 16- people. It is banned for people in positions of power to have relations with 18- people. That is because the power dynamic affects the ability to consent.
SMEGGGY
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That twitter person is an utter cretin. They need to find the definition of a Pedophile
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I see it as weird, but wouldn't make laws for it. If the person isn't forced to be in the relationship, there's not much that can be done about it. When you're talking about a 40 year old dating a teenager, I just can't help think that they're a pedo trying to get as close as possible without it being illegal.

Now just sleeping with; whatever who cares, but I can't help think what's wrong with someone emotionally if they are say 40 in a relationship with an 18 year old. But you have to treat that 18 year old as an adult and as long as they aren't being forced there shouldn't be laws against it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (114)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (34)
19.88%
Yes but I might change my mind (23)
13.45%

Watched Threads