Bad GCSE grades, but good A-levels will this affect grad medicine? Watch

Lightning-Strike
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone.

I'm a mature student (above age 21).

My GCSE grades were terrible, but I'm looking to do A-levels this year. I'm considering going into graduate medicine after my degree, but if I change my mind then I can always fall back on my degree.

I've seen the GCSE requirements of some med schools and I don't fit into most of them, but I am aiming to do very well in my A-levels.

I understand graduate medicine is different, but I was wondering if they would look at GCSE grades or are they simply not required in a graduate medicine application?

Thank you.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Lightning-Strike)
Hi everyone.

I'm a mature student (above age 21).

My GCSE grades were terrible, but I'm looking to do A-levels this year. I'm considering going into graduate medicine after my degree, but if I change my mind then I can always fall back on my degree.

I've seen the GCSE requirements of some med schools and I don't fit into most of them, but I am aiming to do very well in my A-levels.

I understand graduate medicine is different, but I was wondering if they would look at GCSE grades or are they simply not required in a graduate medicine application?

Thank you.
Ok, if you have a degree and you're going to graduate entry medicine the requirements are going to be slightly different.

Read https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf (from page 50 onwards and not the undergraduate medicine requirements from the start) - because you'll see a lot of med schools won't look at GCSEs, and some don't even look at A-Levels (or have much lower requirements).

So make sure you score highly on UCAT (the requirements are higher) or GAMSAT and smash the interviews! Because as you may know, GEM is harder to get in compared to undergrad medicine. Good luck.
Lightning-Strike
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Ok, if you have a degree and you're going to graduate entry medicine the requirements are going to be slightly different.

Read https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf (from page 50 onwards and not the undergraduate medicine requirements from the start) - because you'll see a lot of med schools won't look at GCSEs, and some don't even look at A-Levels (or have much lower requirements).

So make sure you score highly on UCAT (the requirements are higher) or GAMSAT and smash the interviews! Because as you may know, GEM is harder to get in compared to undergrad medicine. Good luck.
Thank you very much.

I just made a list of all the ones without GCSE requirements/ the ones I already meet. I also noted the A-level requirements.

I just wanted to ask about A-level resists. I did AS-level years ago and failed them all. No extenuating circumstances. I just didn't want to be there, but it would cost £1800 to drop out. They were bio, chem and phys. I didn't go on to do the full A-level.

2 years after that, I did a different set of A-levels, but I was very sick so I didn't do very well at all and only came out with 2 A-levels and 1 AS. I have extensive medical evidence to back it all up as I was in and out of appointments all the time through those years along with taking prescription pain killers.

My days, look at all these excuses. I feel pathetic.

I was wondering what the medical schools' views would be on resits? Only Sheffield seem to mention first attempts which is mentioned with the following: BBB at A level, one of which must be Chemistry or Biology, taken in one sitting

I'm looking to do biomedical engineering at uni and so I need maths and physics, but I'm not sure if It's worth taking chemistry as my third or something else like biology. Although there are 6 unis that don't care about A-levels, I still think it's worth considering this A-level chemistry issue.

In regards to actually pulling this off, I think I'm definitely capable. My old chemistry teacher said I had potential and he wanted me to repeat the year because he knew I was capable of doing well, but I just didn't want to be there during that year, hence the failure.

When I went back to sign up again, it turns out the government cut the funding for resit students and so I would have to pay some ridiculous amount to do my A-levels again.

I know I can do this. I desperately want to be a surgeon. I just can't stop thinking about it.

Thank you for your help.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Lightning-Strike)
...I was wondering what the medical schools' views would be on resits? Only Sheffield seem to mention first attempts which is mentioned with the following:BBB at A level, one of which must be Chemistry or Biology, taken in one sitting....
If they haven't mentioned it, you can assume they will accept retakes.

However do not just take my word for it, actually email them and ask.

Note that retakes are much less frowned upon these days, even for undergrad medicine 18 med schools will accept them.
Lightning-Strike
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
If they haven't mentioned it, you can assume they will accept retakes.

However do not just take my word for it, actually email them and ask.

Note that retakes are much less frowned upon these days, even for undergrad medicine 18 med schools will accept them.
I'll definitely make sure to call them, but I was wondering if you think resits are only accepted if you have extenuating circumstances?

Thank you again.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?