We are doomed we have ruined this planet

Watch
hippie girl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have tried so hard to do my bit for the environment and to try help prevent global warming, I don't use a car, I avoid plastic and I don't eat meat and have become vegan but many people I know are not doing anything to stop global warming it is ****ing disgraceful I am worried for my future children that they will not survive I feel the earth doesn't have long left we are ****ed its too late now to reverse the damage it makes me sick to the stomach
Ja78975-Junaid
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
this reminds me of a quote from Interstellar by the character Matt Damon plays, I qoute "their case is hopeless" he describes the fate of humans. It kind of reminded me of the current world we live in, I agree.

I also quote: "Evolution has yet to transcend that simple barrier. We can care deeply - selflessly - about those we know, but that empathy rarely extends beyond our line of sight."
Last edited by Ja78975-Junaid; 1 year ago
username4360318
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
agreed. I am just waiting till the day people realise that you can't breath nor eat money then it would be too late. smh
username4911280
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh well! If your efforts won't save you then the best you can do is continue your eco-friendly lifestyle and live life to the fullest.
Retten
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Almost everyone is unwilling to give up everything and I’m not sure if they should. I could give up on having a car and all technology but wouldn’t I be less environmentally damaging if I just ended my life? How much should I give up until I’m ‘good’? People aren’t focusing on giving up and I don’t think we ever will. We don’t fix things, we make them less bad. Should we blame ourselves for being so successful as a species or should we keep taking and not giving? I think everyone is guilty. No matter how sustainable we become, we are still damaging the environment unless we become zero waste.

‘Cars are bad!’
‘Okay let’s get rid of cars!’
‘Actually let’s just make cars that are less bad’

On a similar note, let’s say every country suddenly becomes fully self sustaining and the environment is completely fine. It feels like England has always had no ‘big’ animals because we got rid of them so early on. Should we be rid of all cities except a few and give it back to the animals? People are fighting for lions and elephants to keep their habitat but we’ve already made it normal for pigeons to have to adapt to our homes so no one thinks about giving pigeons their territory back because we live on it.

We made it normal to have ‘no’ animals and point fingers at countries that still have their animals but are getting rid of them because they’re in need of money. We developed ourselves quicker than them and are telling them to stop developing for the animals we ourselves got rid of. All of this is just too complicated...
Last edited by Retten; 1 year ago
username4911280
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
*munches on a porkchop*

*takes the plastic off my 6 pack of beer and finds 6 pigeons to stick them into*
iiiice-kreem-man
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
humans are parasites......must...exterminate......🤖
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
presumably you still live in a house powered by gas and electricity? Use a phone and a PC and such? Do you have a dog? or a cat?

All those things and more also contribute to climate change. Its easy to pick a few things out of the hundreds of things each day that you do that hurt the plannet and say "I stopped these!! I am helping" whilst ignoring the many others that are too inconvenient for you to stop. I remember an old episode of QI that pointed out a domesticated dog produces as much carbon as a small car.. are there any cries to stop breeding dogs?

I fully support efforts to reduce our impact on the climate. I just get annoyed at the half-arsed and selective approach people take. Lets be honest, they pick things that are not to inconvenient for them to get rid of, and that will make them feel good.. and then do so thinking "Well I am one of the good guys, making a difference".

If you really want to make a difference, instead of cutting back on meaningless things, donate as much money as you can to climate and energy research as well as educational charities.. vote for politicians that support further investment into science/engineering, as well as those that support education. The way out of climate change isn't regressing backwards to a less technological age, its progressing forwards to an age that is just as technologically advanced, but doesn't destroy the planet.

That's only possible with innovation though, and innovation is primarily fueled by an increase in out collective cognitive ability. We need as many minds as possible thinking about the problem, and enough money and infrastructure in place for them to create solutions. That means vastly expanding a higher quality of education to all people, all over the world, and providing ample funding for those people or groups who do propose solutions to research, test and implement their projects (preferably not funding by business who may have an interest to skew progress in their favor).
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also on climate change in general... I get fed up with people blaming china/india/brazil etc

Its very easy to sit in a western developed nation that has spent 200 years polluting and progressing, and has now got to the point where we could maintain our quality of life (nearly) without pouting.. and say "Hey everyone!! lets all agree to stop polluting!"

People here in China can see the hypocrisy for what it is.. you were allowed to become rich through polluting, but they are not? They must halt their economic progress and restrict their growth, stopping them from reaching your level.. for doing the exact same thing that you already did? Its pulling the drawbridge up behind you and closing progress off to billions of people.

These countries will naturally become more environmentally friendly, as they become more developed and their needs shift from those of surviving and establishing a basic standard of life, to actually wanting a long-term sustainable and high quality existence.

Western countries telling them not to pollute is like a middle class family going up to a very poor family and saying 'from now on you must only drive an electric car'... and the very poor family saying 'but I can't afford an electric car, and if I can't drive, I'll loose my job.. and not be able to survive'. Unless the rich are willing to subsides these things for the poor, its unreasonable and hypocritical to deny the poor of them.
username4920716
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
Also on climate change in general... I get fed up with people blaming china/india/brazil etc

Its very easy to sit in a western developed nation that has spent 200 years polluting and progressing, and has now got to the point where we could maintain our quality of life (nearly) without pouting.. and say "Hey everyone!! lets all agree to stop polluting!"

People here in China can see the hypocrisy for what it is.. you were allowed to become rich through polluting, but they are not? They must halt their economic progress and restrict their growth, stopping them from reaching your level.. for doing the exact same thing that you already did? Its pulling the drawbridge up behind you and closing progress off to billions of people.

These countries will naturally become more environmentally friendly, as they become more developed and their needs shift from those of surviving and establishing a basic standard of life, to actually wanting a long-term sustainable and high quality existence.

Western countries telling them not to pollute is like a middle class family going up to a very poor family and saying 'from now on you must only drive an electric car'... and the very poor family saying 'but I can't afford an electric car, and if I can't drive, I'll loose my job.. and not be able to survive'. Unless the rich are willing to subsides these things for the poor, its unreasonable and hypocritical to deny the poor of them.
But when we did it we didn't know about climate change though,now we do.Also it's in these countries best interests to give up fossil fuels because they are the ones that are set to suffer most from it.Large parts of China will be uninhabitable and I doubt India will fare much better.Its not a case of not allowing people to develop.Its in everybody's best interests to limit climate change.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by James23121)
But when we did it we didn't know about climate change though,now we do.Also it's in these countries best interests to give up fossil fuels because they are the ones that are set to suffer most from it.Large parts of China will be uninhabitable and I doubt India will fare much better.Its not a case of not allowing people to develop.Its in everybody's best interests to limit climate change.
"But when we did it we didn't know about climate"

Firstly, that's not true. We have known about climate change for over a hundred years.. had actionable research for 50, and had indisputable research for the past 20-25 years. And yet we still (the west) produce more carbon p/p then China. So to say "well, we didn't know back then.. but when we found out, we stopped" is simply factually wrong.

You may be surprised to know that even today, when supposedly we have known about global warming for quite some time, the G7, still produce on average more carbon per person then China. We are hypocrites, we tell them to stop polluting to fuel their development, while we have already benefited from pollution fueled development, and still produce more pollution per person.

To make it worse.. the west off-sets a vast amount of their pollution by having huge amounts of their manufacturing carried out over here in Asia. Were the west not to have the modern-day factory that is China, vietnam and co. it would suddenly find its own lands become considerably more polluted.

---

To the second point about "they are the ones that are set to suffer most from it" - this is a privileged perspective.

What I mean by that is that its a perspective that can only be held by those who have sufficient wealth, resources and privileged to be able to cut back, and still survive. So for example, I am currently sat in heilongjiang province, in the very north of China..

here the winters are 6 months long, and the temperature frequently goes bellow -20 for a few months each years. Its also a pretty poor province, far far poorer then the UK. Its gdp/pc is only 6,500$, 6.5x less then the UK (40,000$), and it has 38 million people. Slowly the Chinese goverment in this area is trying to switch away from the very cheap fossil fuel sources (mostly coal) that it currently heats every home with during the winter, to renewable sources. But your asking them to do something far harder then the Uk has to deal with (a 6 month, -20 winter) with far less money.

If you tell the people here. Right, no more burning fossil fuels, your going to switch to renewable energy! What are they going to do? They will look at you and say 'but we need the heating on? if not we will die? We can't afford to replace our whole cheap infrastructure with more expensive renewable energy...'.

That's where your privalidged possition comes in.. you live in a country (presuming your in the UK) that actually could take the actions you wanted, and whilst we would all be a little poorer, we would still be pretty well off. But your talking to people around the world who would love to think about long-term problems, but actually have to deal with not dieing in the short term, not freezing in the winter, having enough food for the whole year, keeping the water flowing etc. Its a privalidge and a great possition to be in a developed enough country to want what you want, but you need to understand that around the world, there are many developing countries that have much much shorter-term mindsets, because they don't have the wealth and security that we do in the develooped west.

Its not that they don't care, its that they don't have the freedom to care.
username1208193
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ja78975)
this reminds me of a quote from Interstellar by the character Matt Damon plays, I qoute "their case is hopeless" he describes the fate of humans. It kind of reminded me of the current world we live in, I agree.

Another qoute he says in the film: "Evolution has yet to transcend that simple barrier. We can care deeply - selflessly - about those we know, but that empathy rarely extends beyond our line of sight."
I also "qoute".
username2861570
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Unfortunately all you can do is inform people of the damage they are doing to Gaia. It's up to them to wake up and make the conscious decision to make a change. Don't bother getting angry with the people that aren't willing, it's a waste of energy. Focus on bettering it yourself and lead by example.

Peace :hippie:
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i have made a computer out of twigs and a dead pheasant. it works fairly well although download speeds are not really blistering.
you can guess what i use for a mouse....

Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The best way to help against climate change in a country in the U.K is to have one less child.
Living without a car etc is unrealistic in the West.
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
lol
AngeryPenguin
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ja78975)

I also quote: "Evolution has yet to transcend that simple barrier. We can care deeply - selflessly - about those we know, but that empathy rarely extends beyond our line of sight."
It's not about empathy, it's about long term planning.

It's hard to find anyone who cares what computer models predict will happen in 50 years time. It is discarded, and replaced wishful thinking - "oh, a lot can change in 50 years".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (113)
27.43%
England (143)
34.71%
Belgium (32)
7.77%
Germany (41)
9.95%
Spain (10)
2.43%