javonneporter
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
The 1st and 2nd year state that they use Java/C++ but on the website its recommended students learn python and im not sure if the course page is out of date or if the course uses Java C++ AND Python
Lightning-Strike
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by javonneporter)
The 1st and 2nd year state that they use Java/C++ but on the website its recommended students learn python and im not sure if the course page is out of date or if the course uses Java C++ AND Python
You can use both, but Python is preferred and used the most.
javonneporter
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Lightning-Strike)
You can use both, but Python is preferred and used the most.
Is Python preferred over the whole degree or just some specific years?
Lightning-Strike
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by javonneporter)
Is Python preferred over the whole degree or just some specific years?
From what I've seen, Java is the language that is chosen by most/all universities for computer science when you're learning basic programming and making general applications. This is due to Java being widely used to make applications in the industry.

Other languages are then used for specific purposes. Python would most likely be used in data science/ machine learning. JavaScript is used for websites (front end development) and so on.

It entirely depends on what exactly you're aiming to do. Programming is simply a tool to get things done and specific programming languages are chosen to get specific tasks done. For data science the generally preferred tool (programming language) is Python.

In conclusion, you will be using (I hope you're using) the language most appropriate to whatever it is you're trying to learn/achieve in that specific module in that degree.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.54%
I'm not sure (51)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.44%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (544)
48.53%

Watched Threads