The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Northernhay House -Exeter

Hey guys, just got Northernhay House accommodation in Exeter after clearing. Does anyone know what's it like there? I've noticed how far it is from the Streatham Campus, so does anyone know if it actually takes 25 minutes to reach by foot? Also heard from a friend that it's known for it's nightlife culture because it's close to the centre. Is this true? Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Original post by kartikarpp
Hey guys, just got Northernhay House accommodation in Exeter after clearing. Does anyone know what's it like there? I've noticed how far it is from the Streatham Campus, so does anyone know if it actually takes 25 minutes to reach by foot? Also heard from a friend that it's known for it's nightlife culture because it's close to the centre. Is this true? Thanks in advance

I lived in Northernhay in my first year, having applied to Lafrowda, Birks and St Germans -- and I loved it there! At first I was terrified of not being on campus because, as a first year, I felt that was where I should be, but I honestly loved being so close to the heart of town. It's right next to TP, the biggest club (which is probably how it got that reputation for being big on nightlife) and super close to all the shops etc. For me, it was ideally located near Exeter Central Station (about a 10 minute walk to the platforms) but only 25 mins from St David's too. The only downside, of course, is that it's about a 25 minute walk to the centre of campus (up hill). There is a bus (D) that runs from the high street (literally a two minute walk, or 1 minute run from Northernhay), right to the centre of campus which is a lifesaver when the weather is horrible! It will be irritating when your friends in Lafrowda or Birks are able to go back in their breaks, but after a little while hopefully you can go back with them (a good opportunity to get some studying done together, I found!). Northernhay itself is nothing to be desired from the outside! There's barely any parking so don't bother bringing a car and the lifts are scary af! I was only on the second floor which was ideal and we loved our flat. I was super sad to leave it.

All standard rooms have 3/4 sized beds (buy double bedding), a desk, chair, bin, bedside table, underbed storage, shelves, pinboard, sink, mirror and wardrobe. There actually isn't that much storage space so I bought a cheap plastic shelving unit from Wilko which was amazing to store toiletries etc by my sink, but also an overflow for food in the kitchen because I had limited space. I'd also recommend buying a bedside lamp and another for your desk if you can. We had a bathroom with shower, toilet and sink and another toilet room as well - pretty standard uni bathrooms. Our kitchen was huge but kind of an anomaly, with one fridge (between 5 - will be two if you have more people), an oven/stove, microwave, kettle, overhead storage and more cupboards. Additionally, you'll have a table and sofa.

I hope this helps to paint a picture of what Northernhay is like because there is SO little information on it online. I was panicking when I got it but honestly loved it there :smile:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by izzygrace_17
I lived in Northernhay in my first year, having applied to Lafrowda, Birks and St Germans -- and I loved it there! At first I was terrified of not being on campus because, as a first year, I felt that was where I should be, but I honestly loved being so close to the heart of town. It's right next to TP, the biggest club (which is probably how it got that reputation for being big on nightlife) and super close to all the shops etc. For me, it was ideally located near Exeter Central Station (about a 10 minute walk to the platforms) but only 25 mins from St David's too. The only downside, of course, is that it's about a 25 minute walk to the centre of campus (up hill). There is a bus (D) that runs from the high street (literally a two minute walk, or 1 minute run from Northernhay), right to the centre of campus which is a lifesaver when the weather is horrible! It will be irritating when your friends in Lafrowda or Birks are able to go back in their breaks, but after a little while hopefully you can go back with them (a good opportunity to get some studying done together, I found!). Northernhay itself is nothing to be desired from the outside! There's barely any parking so don't bother bringing a car and the lifts are scary af! I was only on the second floor which was ideal and we loved our flat. I was super sad to leave it.

All standard rooms have 3/4 sized beds (buy double bedding), a desk, chair, bin, bedside table, underbed storage, shelves, pinboard, sink, mirror and wardrobe. There actually isn't that much storage space so I bought a cheap plastic shelving unit from Wilko which was amazing to store toiletries etc by my sink, but also an overflow for food in the kitchen because I had limited space. I'd also recommend buying a bedside lamp and another for your desk if you can. We had a bathroom with shower, toilet and sink and another toilet room as well - pretty standard uni bathrooms. Our kitchen was huge but kind of an anomaly, with one fridge (between 5 - will be two if you have more people), an oven/stove, microwave, kettle, overhead storage and more cupboards. Additionally, you'll have a table and sofa.

I hope this helps to paint a picture of what Northernhay is like because there is SO little information on it online. I was panicking when I got it but honestly loved it there :smile:

Wow this is great info! Thanks so much! Literally couldn’t find anything online

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending