Solicitor Apprenticeship application thread (2019) Watch

Jonsieee
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hey guys! I am just about to start my Solicitor Apprenticeship in September (v nervous 😬) and wanted to start this thread to help students applying for the Solicitor Apprenticeship this year. I am happy to answer any questions on the process😊
Last edited by Jonsieee; 3 weeks ago
CE01
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Jonsieee)
Hey guys! I am just about to start my Solicitor Apprenticeship in September (v nervous 😬) and wanted to start this thread to help students applying for the Solicitor Apprenticeship this year. I am happy to answer any questions on the process😊
Hi! I'm also looking into this route, I'm 18 and just completed my A Levels. What company have you got an apprenticeship with (if you don't mind sharing) and do you need a background in law before applying? ~
Jonsieee
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey 😊 I’m not sure if I’m allowed to say yet (I’ll check), but it’s with one of the big corporate law firms in London. I had two sets of legal work experience on my CV; one at a high street firm and the other at a with an in-house legal team. I didn’t do law at A-level. Realistically, I do believe that the background in law did slightly help me get a position, but I definitely don’t think it was the most important component. Having a background in law merely shows that you have an interest in the subject. However, all your other non-legal extra-curricular activities are much more important as they show that you are driven and have a variety of skills. I wouldn’t stress if you don’t have any legal experience, just talk about your extra-curriculars on your application and how they have provided you with skills that are useful in the legal field. In my experience, the law firms are more likely to choose candidates with loads of extra-curriculars (eg. Gold DofE, Headgirl/boy or on the leadership team, a part-time job, EPQ, clubs and societies) but no legal background over the ones with Legal experience but not much else.
Advertisement
CE01
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Wow, thank you for that response! wishing you the best of luck. I’m just searching for a degree apprenticeship due to being fresh out of college, but searching is one of the harder parts. The companies either do not offer apprenticeships or the applications have closed for this year. Also, there isn’t tonnes of information about apprenticeships on the internet!
Jonsieee
Rep:
?
Your welcome and thank you!🙂 applications for the Solicitor Apprenticeship have closed for the 2019 intake, but will probably open between October and Feb (varies between firms) for the Sept 2020 intake. I also had the same problem when researching the route, but I found the following links the most helpful:

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/wh...ship-vacancies --> I used this list to look up each firm and see if they offered the Solicitor Apprenticeship that year (a lot easier than randomly looking up firms). I never really used websites such Indeed.co.uk as a lot of firms only advertised their vacancies on their website.

http://www.lex100.com/index.php/apprenticeships --> this website gave me the best and most up-to-date info on both the Paralegal and Solicitor apprenticeships. It also includes interviews from apprentices.

https://www.legal500.com/ --> this website is absolute GOLD when you are researching law firms for your application. It gives you examples of different cases and work from that firm that you can add to the 'why this law firm' section to make you look like you really did your research.

I'd also keep track of any articles on Legal Cheek as they sometimes pop up. Eve Cornell’s video on how she got her training contract really helped me with structuring my answers.

I hope this helps x I just wanna help anyone going through the process as I found it really difficult due to the lack of info and experience with interviews.
Last edited by Jonsieee; 1 week ago
Advertisement
CE01
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ahhhhh I love Eve Cornwell haha! Thank you so so much! x
Jonsieee
Rep:
?
(Original post by CE01)
Ahhhhh I love Eve Cornwell haha! Thank you so so much! x
Same! Your welcome 😊
Advertisement
sophie_chu
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How are you finding it? :-)
Jonsieee
Rep:
?
(Original post by sophie_chu)
How are you finding it? :-)
I haven’t started yet. My uni course starts in a few weeks and then I’ll start working in October
Advertisement
CE01
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Good luck.
Jonsieee
Rep:
?
(Original post by CE01)
Good luck.
Thank you! I just started an insta called london.solicitor.apprentice if anyone wants follow it. I’ll post about my experience as an apprentice and tips for applications 😊
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (11)
5.79%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (105)
55.26%
No (74)
38.95%

Watched Threads