The Student Room Group

what do you think of H&M clothing?

For both men and women?
Original post by J0n3zviper
For both men and women?

Well I'm a man so I can only speak for male clothing. For the most part, it's decent stuff. The T-Shirts are cheap and they hold up in the wash a hell of a lot better than Primark shirts do, but they're not gonna last an awfully long time. The shorts are pretty good and the jeans are alright but they can be hit or miss. Overall, the store does decent men's clothing but I think if you wanted clothing that lasted longer you should go to a more expensive store.

I definitely get your point, but the problem is more economical than that. I think if people had the incomes to buy more expensive and more ethical clothing then they would, but for some if they're struggling on the breadline and all they can afford are Primark/H&M stock, then I don't blame them for not thinking about kids thousands of miles away while trying to put clothes on their family's backs.
Original post by _polaroid
I definitely get your point, but the problem is more economical than that. I think if people had the incomes to buy more expensive and more ethical clothing then they would, but for some if they're struggling on the breadline and all they can afford are Primark/H&M stock, then I don't blame them for not thinking about kids thousands of miles away while trying to put clothes on their family's backs.

I agree, deffo. Most, if not all, of my consumption is unethical. I simply think it's a moral obligation to consume as ethical as is practical and possible. I was thinking more along the lines of reducing clothes waste, reduce consumption, charity shops, hand me downs, reuse, petitions, donate to workers unions, etc. Shop more ethically if you're in the position to!
Some of the smarter looking items in my wardrobe come from H&M. Decent quality and good prices.
Pretty decent ngl
Their male pieces are better than the female ones.
Reply 8
Original post by J0n3zviper
For both men and women?

I love shopping there. They are great affordable shoes, and great shorts, t shirts and hoodies that have lasted me a long time.
The clothing is pretty decent, but I don't know if it's just me but the sizing seems to run a little small compared to other shops, I'd have to get a size up from what I usually would if I shopped anywhere else.
Some pretty stuff but the like t shirt quality is ****e literally got holes in near the collar after a wash
Original post by Obolinda
I agree, deffo. Most, if not all, of my consumption is unethical. I simply think it's a moral obligation to consume as ethical as is practical and possible. I was thinking more along the lines of reducing clothes waste, reduce consumption, charity shops, hand me downs, reuse, petitions, donate to workers unions, etc. Shop more ethically if you're in the position to!

I definitely agree with you.
However, some people say that to shop ethically you need to stop shopping for new clothes at all, which I disagree with. Firstly, it’s important to support brands which do try to re-use clothes, like Rapanui, or use fabrics like organic cotton, lyocell or tencel, because supporting more sustainable labels will show others that they need to take a similar approach.
Plus, not buying any new clothes would mean a lot of people will lose their livelihoods.

Obviously I’d agree that people should try to buy what they need and give what they don’t need to charity or sell it to others, but all in all not everyone will want to live off of second hand or vintage clothes for whatever reason.

I do like the H&M ‘green’ label, I agree they need to work on paying the factory workers in a more fair way but I’m glad they’ve realised that there is a demand for more sustainable clothing out there :smile:
Original post by S.carter
I definitely agree with you.
However, some people say that to shop ethically you need to stop shopping for new clothes at all, which I disagree with. Firstly, it’s important to support brands which do try to re-use clothes, like Rapanui, or use fabrics like organic cotton, lyocell or tencel, because supporting more sustainable labels will show others that they need to take a similar approach.
Plus, not buying any new clothes would mean a lot of people will lose their livelihoods.

Obviously I’d agree that people should try to buy what they need and give what they don’t need to charity or sell it to others, but all in all not everyone will want to live off of second hand or vintage clothes for whatever reason.

I do like the H&M ‘green’ label, I agree they need to work on paying the factory workers in a more fair way but I’m glad they’ve realised that there is a demand for more sustainable clothing out there :smile:

agree!!!
the t-shirts for women are pretty cheap and they do look good. generally tho I don't really go to H&M for shopping clothes. I find that the clothes there are not too trendy. it caters more towards women who are into smart casual attire. as for casual style lol tops and skirts, other retailers like new look, topshop are far more better in terms of styles.
I've just bought a couple of hoodies from them (mens, it's very hard to find zip up hoodies that look somewhat smart - matching colours!)..

I've heard good things from them, but I'll let you know when they arrive.

I try to avoid buying from fast fashion clothes but I'm still a poor student so I can't really afford not to for basics.
I'll buy second hand and vintage, jackets and what not but not hoodies.
I bought t-shirts from Uniqlo too, they're at least a little less fast fashiony than H&M, apparently better quality too.
Original post by MidgetFever
The clothing is pretty decent, but I don't know if it's just me but the sizing seems to run a little small compared to other shops, I'd have to get a size up from what I usually would if I shopped anywhere else.

Definitely. I'm an 8 top and 10 bottom almost everywhere apart from H&M where I'm a 12 and sometimes even a 14. I have heard they've adjusted their sizing recently but it's still odd that their clothes are so much smaller than every other high street retail store.
Okay, the hoodies came.

They're not bad, but I have to return 2 out of the 4.
One's an overhead version of the zip up.. but it fits baggy in the sleeves and there's a lot of loose threads and unfinished stitching..
I'm also returning one of the zip ups because one sleeve seems baggier or maybe longer than the other.. I can definitely feel it being different and it's irritating.

Quality control obviously isn't the best, the 2 I'm keeping are alright but I wouldn't be happy paying full price for them imo.

I also bought some t-shirts and 2 merino jumpers from Uniqlo - they're far better

Quick Reply

Latest