The Student Room Group

Is an extra AS - level really necessary?

I’m hoping to study medicine at uni (perhaps even a London one or Oxbridge) and I’m taking Maths, Bio and Chem as my 3 full A-levels. I am also planning on taking an EPQ.

Even though I start year 12 in less than two weeks, I am still confused about whether I should take an extra AS in year 12 or not. My school only offers AS for some subjects like Further Maths, Class Civ and Economics (I think) but to be honest, I’m not too interested in taking an AS and the only advantage it would have are extra UCAS points.

However my dad really wants me to take one, especially since I decided to quit piano (which i have a grade 6 merit - worth 10 UCAS points)

So is taking an extra AS and getting some extra UCAS points really beneficiary? Do unis really care about UCAS points that much?

Any answers and help would be really appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by Rithika1
I’m hoping to study medicine at uni (perhaps even a London one or Oxbridge) and I’m taking Maths, Bio and Chem as my 3 full A-levels. I am also planning on taking an EPQ.

Even though I start year 12 in less than two weeks, I am still confused about whether I should take an extra AS in year 12 or not. My school only offers AS for some subjects like Further Maths, Class Civ and Economics (I think) but to be honest, I’m not too interested in taking an AS and the only advantage it would have are extra UCAS points.

However my dad really wants me to take one, especially since I decided to quit piano (which i have a grade 6 merit - worth 10 UCAS points)

So is taking an extra AS and getting some extra UCAS points really beneficiary? Do unis really care about UCAS points that much?

Any answers and help would be really appreciated.

As far as I know the AS doesn’t give you any more UCAS points like it used to in the old system so it would be a complete waste of time and extra stress for nothing if you’re not going to complete the whole A level. Plus most schools now don’t even sit the AS examination and they use the predicted grades method

Quick Reply

Latest