UNI CHOICES: Computer Networking/ Science Watch

jduxie4414
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I am going into year 12 but I want to start looking into my Uni options for in a year or so. I got 5x 9s, 3x 8s and 3x 7s at GCSE (getting English remarked as 1 off an 8). I want to go into a career in Computer Networking, so what unis are good for these courses? I want to go to a high achieving university like Cambridge/Oxford and I don’t mind studying Computer Science
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
you should have fun!

My mate Tim studied physics at Oxford The Queen's College, he wrote his first ever WWW server and client based on "remote procedure calls" (networking) and he 'invented' HTML web layout programming, based upon SGML (Standard Generalized Markup Language)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGMLguid

Tim's amazing parents were both programmers, from the age when there really weren't any computers - his mum (Mary) worked on Alan Turing's systems in Manchester, Tim's dad (Conway) sadly recently died at the age of 99yrs old, I was sure he'd make 100.

SGML - used for laying out documents to be printed was invented by an american who wasn't a computer programmer, but as a hobby he wrote car-rally instructions in a clear, logical method - <straight for 100 yards>, <turn left over bridge>, <straight for 2 miles>, <turn 3rd left> etc and the way he wrote his notes reminded his friends of a computer program - so Charles Goldfarb 'phoned up IBM one day... http://www.sgmlsource.com/history/roots.htm

CompSci is quite heavily maths based, as when Tim studied physics or when Charles was rally-driving computers were 8-bit, now they are entangled qubit and fuzzy with quantum inference, so you have to learn the maths of any possible future computing engine, that we don't yet have, even.

If you do a degree in computing, or cyber security, or physics with computing, or digital games design - you'll find which specific area you prefer...

here's a list of university based postgraduate courses that have been certified by GCHQ/NCSC, or partly certified - a bachelors degree at any of these establishments would be great - and lead on potentially to not just a Masters but life-long learning as Moore's Law is still being followed!

Certified Master's degrees

University of Birmingham MSc in Cyber Security
Cranfield University MSc in Digital Forensics
Edinburgh Napier University MSc in Advanced Security and Digital Forensics
Lancaster University MSc in Cyber Security
University of Oxford MSc in Software and Systems Security
Queen's University Belfast MSc Applied Cyber Security
Royal Holloway, University of London MSc in Information Security
Sheffield Hallam University MSc in Cyber Security
University of Southampton MSc in Cyber Security
University of South Wales MSc in Computer Forensics
University of Surrey MSc in Information Security
University College London MSc in Information Security
University of Warwick MSc in Cyber Security and Management or Security Engineering
University of York MSc in Cyber Security

Partly Certified Master's degrees

Abertay University (Dundee) MSc Ethical Hacking and Cyber Security
Cranfield University MSc in Cyber Defence and Information Assurance
Leicester De Montfort University MSc Cyber Security or Cyber Technology
University of Kent MSc in Cyber Security
Kingston University MSc in Network and Information Security (Cyber Pathway)
Oxford Brookes University MSc Computer Science for Cyber Security
University of South Wales MSc Cyber Security
University of the West of England MSc Cyber Security

which is a pretty good list seeing as you only get five course choices at UCAS for the undergraduate entry!
jduxie4414
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by LuigiMario)
you should have fun!

My mate Tim studied physics at Oxford The Queen's College, he wrote his first ever WWW server and client based on "remote procedure calls" (networking) and he 'invented' HTML web layout programming, based upon SGML (Standard Generalized Markup Language)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGMLguid

Tim's amazing parents were both programmers, from the age when there really weren't any computers - his mum (Mary) worked on Alan Turing's systems in Manchester, Tim's dad (Conway) sadly recently died at the age of 99yrs old, I was sure he'd make 100.

SGML - used for laying out documents to be printed was invented by an american who wasn't a computer programmer, but as a hobby he wrote car-rally instructions in a clear, logical method - <straight for 100 yards>, <turn left over bridge>, <straight for 2 miles>, <turn 3rd left> etc and the way he wrote his notes reminded his friends of a computer program - so Charles Goldfarb 'phoned up IBM one day... http://www.sgmlsource.com/history/roots.htm

CompSci is quite heavily maths based, as when Tim studied physics or when Charles was rally-driving computers were 8-bit, now they are entangled qubit and fuzzy with quantum inference, so you have to learn the maths of any possible future computing engine, that we don't yet have, even.

If you do a degree in computing, or cyber security, or physics with computing, or digital games design - you'll find which specific area you prefer...

here's a list of university based postgraduate courses that have been certified by GCHQ/NCSC, or partly certified - a bachelors degree at any of these establishments would be great - and lead on potentially to not just a Masters but life-long learning as Moore's Law is still being followed!

Certified Master's degrees

University of Birmingham MSc in Cyber Security
Cranfield University MSc in Digital Forensics
Edinburgh Napier University MSc in Advanced Security and Digital Forensics
Lancaster University MSc in Cyber Security
University of Oxford MSc in Software and Systems Security
Queen's University Belfast MSc Applied Cyber Security
Royal Holloway, University of London MSc in Information Security
Sheffield Hallam University MSc in Cyber Security
University of Southampton MSc in Cyber Security
University of South Wales MSc in Computer Forensics
University of Surrey MSc in Information Security
University College London MSc in Information Security
University of Warwick MSc in Cyber Security and Management or Security Engineering
University of York MSc in Cyber Security

Partly Certified Master's degrees

Abertay University (Dundee) MSc Ethical Hacking and Cyber Security
Cranfield University MSc in Cyber Defence and Information Assurance
Leicester De Montfort University MSc Cyber Security or Cyber Technology
University of Kent MSc in Cyber Security
Kingston University MSc in Network and Information Security (Cyber Pathway)
Oxford Brookes University MSc Computer Science for Cyber Security
University of South Wales MSc Cyber Security
University of the West of England MSc Cyber Security

which is a pretty good list seeing as you only get five course choices at UCAS for the undergraduate entry!
Wow thank you! That list is amazing, thank you for your help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?