Official Thread: (Undergraduate) Medicine 2021 Entry

Watch
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by OliK342)
I’m going to to silver and gold, will this make a difference on my application?
They don't especially care about DofE*. They care about what you've taken away from it and how well you can communicate that on your personal statement or at an interview.

*Or grade 8 xylophone, being a heptathlon champion, building a puppy orphanage etc.
sdfdfrf
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
guys can I apply to both the standard MBBS course and the foundation course at the same medical school?
maisielloyd2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So I was planning on doing work experience this summer in order to gain some experience to add on my personal statement but also to gain an insight into working as a doctor. Obviously because of corona I wasn't able to do so and I don't want to apply for a course without fully knowing what it involves. I also don't feel ready for my UCAT as it seems as though I'm not improving despite having studied for it for over a month now. Plus due to the current situation in one of my subjects we're behind in content and haven't started any coursework which should have began before the holiday. I don't want to have to apply for university while also prepare for the UCAT and try to keep on top of/catch up with regular schoolwork. So I'm wondering if I should take a gap year and apply next year? I know my application next year would be much stronger with a higher UCAT score, more to talk about on my personal statement and with doing work experience in a hospital setting, I'd know for sure whether medicine is right for me.
becausethenight
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Democracy)
They don't especially care about DofE*. They care about what you've taken away from it and how well you can communicate that on your personal statement or at an interview.

*Or grade 8 xylophone, being a heptathlon champion, building a puppy orphanage etc.
Building puppy orphanages :rofl:
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by I ASK QUESTIONS)
So I'm actually doing this on behalf of my bro, he wants to do medicine got predicted grades of ABBB (A in maths) he did really well at GCSE (mostly As/A* and I think 1 B). He said he was doing fine in the subjects for most of the year, and with AS levels you do exams in the summer then use that to get predicted grades and apply for uni, but obviously because of Covid there was no exams so he just got his predicted grades which was an A in maths and B's in the 3 sciences..

If I'm blatantly honest during lockdown he was watching tv, playing games and other bad habits like staying up late and he had a few phone calls from teachers about not submitting homework. One of our parents works in the NHS too so our household was very hectic at times, But my arguement is that it was not in a school environment, so it's easier to get distracted/not motivated to do work right? Does this justify predicting him such low grades respective to his GCSEs?

I feel like he has blown it, forget medicine he's gonna struggle to get into anything science related with those predicted grades right? From my experience (I got 4 C's at AS and predicted AAB) I retook the final year and found it extremely hard to get an offer for engineering at the universities I wanted, without ethnic diversity/low income background/academic background to help my application I doubt I would be at the uni I am today.. I BARELY clawed my way onto the course whose normal entry requirement is A*AA on the website btw :O

It sinks my heart to think my bro will have less application potential because we're still living in the same place but he went to a much better secondary school and I dont think we fall under the low income bracket anymore, he is also predicted worse grades than I was (even though he got significantly better GCSES than me) and forget medicine, even his backup of engineering (at a similar or better uni than me) is looking off the table with those predicted grades and the fact competition for places will be harder next year.

What should he do? Is it worth trying to get predicted grades changed? I'm very stressed out for his future :/
Can your brother not post himself? Not to knock you posting but often it's easier if you're not going through a middleman!

At the moment, assuming these are his predicted grades, he wouldn't meet the entry requirements for standard undergraduate medicine (possibly he would for foundation courses, but that will depend on if he meets lots of other criteria). He could sit his A levels next year, get AAA+ and apply for 2022 with a gap year, though, which would be fine. If they're his AS grades, but his teachers are happy to predict him AAA+ on UCAS, that's fine though as unis don't tend to look at AS grades now.

I'm guessing he's taking UCAT/BMAT? Or is he now not planning to apply this year?
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by maisielloyd2)
So I was planning on doing work experience this summer in order to gain some experience to add on my personal statement but also to gain an insight into working as a doctor. Obviously because of corona I wasn't able to do so and I don't want to apply for a course without fully knowing what it involves. I also don't feel ready for my UCAT as it seems as though I'm not improving despite having studied for it for over a month now. Plus due to the current situation in one of my subjects we're behind in content and haven't started any coursework which should have began before the holiday. I don't want to have to apply for university while also prepare for the UCAT and try to keep on top of/catch up with regular schoolwork. So I'm wondering if I should take a gap year and apply next year? I know my application next year would be much stronger with a higher UCAT score, more to talk about on my personal statement and with doing work experience in a hospital setting, I'd know for sure whether medicine is right for me.
If you're not sure about medicine being right for you and want to get more experience, that's an excellent reason to take a gap year (plus, you can focus on UCAT as you say, have achieved grades, can travel/earn money). It sounds like you have a good plan, really - talk it through with parents and teachers. Ultimately, though, it's up to you, but it sounds like you've thought this through and have a good reason - if you do realise you don't want to do medicine before Results Day next year but, say, Biochem, you could probably find places in clearing too.

:goodluck:
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Democracy)

But the Glockenspiel is a winner, right?
inara_30
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hey guys my ucat score is less than 2600 and for gcses i got 7 a*-a, 3 b and A in add maths should i apply for medicine because i feel like these results are not good enough looking at how smart everyone is on this thread
Abz231
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by inara_30)
hey guys my ucat score is less than 2600 and for gcses i got 7 a*-a, 3 b and A in add maths should i apply for medicine because i feel like these results are not good enough looking at how smart everyone is on this thread
yeah as long as you're serious about med why not? Your GCSE's are good. Are you predicted AAA? And forget about this thread, it's not representative at all
Laycity
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Put your full stats on the 'Which medical school' thread and we will advise. It looks like you still have options if you apply strategically.
medandalldat
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Laycity)
Put your full stats on the 'Which medical school' thread and we will advise. It looks like you still have options if you apply strategically.
can you put the link to that on here please
inara_30
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Abz231)
yeah as long as you're serious about med why not? Your GCSE's are good. Are you predicted AAA? And forget about this thread, it's not representative at all
ok thanks i haven't done my mocks yet btw so i don't know what my predicted grades are yet
xalevels432
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
last year i got 2580, 1A* 7A's 3B's and a C and still got interviews from Plymouth and manchester.
Laycity
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by medandalldat)
can you put the link to that on here please
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...2#post90672556
united4
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was wondering whether I should put KCL or QMUL for biomed as my medicine backup.
Which one is less competitive to get into?

Also, if you have 2 medicine offers and one biomed, does biomed count as your insurance choice or can you have the 2 medicine as firm and insurance plus biomed as a backup?
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by united4)
I was wondering whether I should put KCL or QMUL for biomed as my medicine backup.
Which one is less competitive to get into?

Also, if you have 2 medicine offers and one biomed, does biomed count as your insurance choice or can you have the 2 medicine as firm and insurance plus biomed as a backup?
You can - and absolutely should - put the two medicine offers as your firm and insurance. You can't have a third choice so you would give up the biomed offer, but you're obviously doing this so you can increase your chances of getting into medicine.

I don't think there's a massive difference in competition for getting into biomed at KCL vs QMUL. KCL might be more competitive but QMUL's biomed degree is probably the more natural choice for students keen on graduate entry medicine/dentistry, given their links with Barts and The London and how open they are about being used as a springboard for medicine and dentistry

You could always put in a FOI request for their applicant numbers if you're really keen, but I think either one would be fine if you're predicted the right grades for medicine.
Interfering Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
Yes, that would make sense, wouldn't it? You have a confirmed offer to study the most competitive subject possible and you think about throwing ot over, risking the applications cycle again next year when it will be far more competitive and the odds are you won't get an offer? You will be competing with next year's cohort who will be offering real exam results untainted by this year's enormous grade inflation and unearned "success", as well as the unsatisfied from this year.

This is nature's way of excluding people who cannot make sensible and rational descisions from the medical profession.
I need to chime in here.. "grade inflation and unearned success" is extremely offensive to some. My son achieved 3A*1A at A level this year and I firmly believe he deserved each of those, in fact I'm a bit miffed he didn't get a 4th A* as it was in French and he lives and breathes in French. He works extremely hard all year round completing homework to a ridiculous standard and he scored at least 30 marks above the A in all his 4 AS levels. I sincerely hope the admissions advisors in the unis are not of the same opinion as you that these grades are undeserved. I'm not disputing some student's grades may have been inflated but it is simply not fair on those that are deserving to generalise so harshly.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Interfering Mum)
it is simply not fair on those that are deserving to generalise so harshly.
We must disagree then. In general, A-level grades would have been grossly inflated even with the moderation that was abandoned. Without it they are, simply, unbelievable.
Interfering Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
We must disagree then. In general, A-level grades would have been grossly inflated even with the moderation that was abandoned. Without it they are, simply, unbelievable.
I'm happy to agree to disagree. I do hear where you're coming from and even in our family and a few others we know, we have been left feeling that our boys achieved grades (that they 100% deserved lol) don't seem as impressive now. Hopefully the powers that be will have a quick glance over the previous result record of the students applying and acquire some sort of idea whether or not the grades are to be believed. Common sense and lots of luck seems to be what we are relying on this year!
Anonymous778
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I’m not sure where to apply.

My stats are gcses - 5A*s, 2As, 1B 1C
A level predicted A*A*A
Ucat 640 average Band 1.

I wanted to apply to Southampton, Sheffield, Manchester , but my ucat is much lower than I hoped 😭. I don’t know what to do now, my gcses are also terrible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (99)
13.2%
I'm not sure (32)
4.27%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (234)
31.2%
I have already dropped out (18)
2.4%
I'm not a current university student (367)
48.93%

Watched Threads