The Student Room Group

Official Thread: (Undergraduate) Medicine 2021 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DGeorge13
I’d probably say kcl then Leeds is bmat so depends if you want to do that and Birmingham you may drop a few points post interview for sjt 2

Original post by AISHAH H
Hi does a Personal Statement have to have gaps between the paragraphs?

depends. mine doesn't because it's 47 lines long with no gaps. So I used indents instead
Original post by Bigreshe
depends. mine doesn't because it's 47 lines long with no gaps. So I used indents instead

Alright thank you
That’s competition in number.

in terms of competition in like stats etc, Oxford, UCL etc will rank you there.

bsms may be more competitive then Cambridge in terms of number but the overall average BMAT required to get an interview at Cambridge is higher . Quality of students required
Original post by Chemist123
I am worried that my gcse grades are not good enough compared to others :frown:
I got 99988877777 . From looking at last years threads most people have like 9A* or more .

I thought exactly the same last year and my grades were similar to yours with one less 9 and 7 and I had a 6!. However I had a good UCAT score so applied strategically (Manchestrr/Sheffield/Bham/Notts) and secured 4 interviews and 2 fast offers. Im now studying at Nottingham. I learnt not to compare myself to others but apply with my strengths and then shine at interview. There were people with far better grades than me getting rejections so whilst grades are important, they are only a means of enabling you to meet the criteria needed for that Med school you are looking at applying to. The Universities do not look at you as the student who didn't get straight 9's at interview that becomes irrelevant. Like others have said some Unis favour straight 9's not sure why it does not make them a better doctor but it is their entry criteria so you have to respect them for that. Good luck with your applications 🤞👍
Hi there. I posted something similar to this a few weeks back but I recently have been thinking about a 5th choice to put on my UCAS application as the deadline is less than a month away. Essentially my dilemma is medicinal chemistry or pharmacology:

Firstly, I want to say that my plan B is to take a gap year and reapply to medicine next year which kinda renders this question a bit unnecessary but I can't see the disadvantage in applying to an additional course and if A Level grading gets messed up like this year then at least I'd have a backup. Initially, I was going to apply to pharmacy although I've since changed my mind as I realise I would have to put in a fair amount of work for interviews etc meaning I'd have less time to prep for medicine interviews which I don't want to do. I also know its a lot more competitive than non-vocational science courses.

Since then, I have been set on applying for chemistry with medicinal chemistry as its my favourite a level subject; however, having written my personal statement, I've realised there's no chemistry content in it and therefore would that disadvantage my application. I'm really happy with my statement but its completely medicine-centred with arguably a gear towards biology (not intentionally but it worked out that way) and I'm not inclined to change it as I think it best shows me as a good candidate for medicine.

So now I'm considering applying for pharmacology as I believe this is a more common 5th choice for med students. Was wondering if anyone could give me their opinion.

Sorry that was really long :smile:
Original post by ManomiteYT
So I am predicted 3 A s in my Alevels will this be enough to apply for UCL through my UCAS? Or do I need to get an A star?

You'd need an A* I'm afraid. Email them if you want to be 100% sure I suppose but I wouldn't get your hopes up.
Original post by Whatisizekiah
That’s competition in number.

in terms of competition in like stats etc, Oxford, UCL etc will rank you there.

bsms may be more competitive then Cambridge in terms of number but the overall average BMAT required to get an interview at Cambridge is higher . Quality of students required

As ecolier said. Plus, who's to say the 9 9s but 1 1 1A BMAT student who gets in at Cardiff is 'lower quality' than the 7 7 5A BMAT student with 9 5s at GCSE who gets in at Cambridge? Or even that a student with a 9 9 5A BMAT who flops their interview and doesn't get into Cambridge is higher quality than the 5.9 5.8 3.5A BMAT student who scrapes their interview but does get in? :lol:

No one thing the med schools look at should be a measure of your 'quality', beyond maybe the interview!
Original post by turkeydinosaur16
Hi there. I posted something similar to this a few weeks back but I recently have been thinking about a 5th choice to put on my UCAS application as the deadline is less than a month away. Essentially my dilemma is medicinal chemistry or pharmacology:

Firstly, I want to say that my plan B is to take a gap year and reapply to medicine next year which kinda renders this question a bit unnecessary but I can't see the disadvantage in applying to an additional course and if A Level grading gets messed up like this year then at least I'd have a backup. Initially, I was going to apply to pharmacy although I've since changed my mind as I realise I would have to put in a fair amount of work for interviews etc meaning I'd have less time to prep for medicine interviews which I don't want to do. I also know its a lot more competitive than non-vocational science courses.

Since then, I have been set on applying for chemistry with medicinal chemistry as its my favourite a level subject; however, having written my personal statement, I've realised there's no chemistry content in it and therefore would that disadvantage my application. I'm really happy with my statement but its completely medicine-centred with arguably a gear towards biology (not intentionally but it worked out that way) and I'm not inclined to change it as I think it best shows me as a good candidate for medicine.

So now I'm considering applying for pharmacology as I believe this is a more common 5th choice for med students. Was wondering if anyone could give me their opinion.

Could you not simply ask the Med Chem uni(s) you're thinking of if you could submit a 5th personal statement/if they'll care? Your PS should be all about medicine, either unis are used to being a 5th choice and aren't bothered, ask for an extra PS, or won't let you apply.
Original post by GANFYD
Dissection is hugely overrated

Why is this?

I would argue that biomed/human bioscience is a more common 5th choice than pharmacology as a 'back-up'.

p.s. your personal statement does not have be tailored to your 5th choice:smile:
Original post by Puzzled11
Why is this?

Well given the choice between viewing an immaculately and professionally dissected specimen, neatly labelled and trying to work something out after 6 of your dyspraxic peers have hacked through it, it is not always the easiest way to learn!
And dissecting a preserved body is NOTHING like operating on someone who is still alive.....
Original post by GANFYD
Well given the choice between viewing an immaculately and professionally dissected specimen, neatly labelled and trying to work something out after 6 of your dyspraxic peers have hacked through it, it is not always the easiest way to learn!
And dissecting a preserved body is NOTHING like operating on someone who is still alive.....

That does make sense.. I was thinking that the first-hand experience would be good practice for surgery and getting more familiarised with the structures, but thanks for clarifying that!

Shouldn't be choosing unis based on this then, noted.
Original post by Puzzled11
That does make sense.. I was thinking that the first-hand experience would be good practice for surgery and getting more familiarised with the structures, but thanks for clarifying that!

Shouldn't be choosing unis based on this then, noted.

Much surgery is done larascopically now, and can't do that on a cadaver (I don't think!)
It was really NOTHING like a real live person and with 3D modelling and virtual anatomy/CTs, I think that is a much better way to learn it.
Most places offer an anatomy SSC if you are keen, I think
Original post by GANFYD
Much surgery is done larascopically now, and can't do that on a cadaver (I don't think!)
It was really NOTHING like a real live person and with 3D modelling and virtual anatomy/CTs, I think that is a much better way to learn it.
Most places offer an anatomy SSC if you are keen, I think

Yes, I was just looking into the SSCs for a few of them and apparently they do! Could be a useful option, thanks! :smile:
Original post by becausethenight
Could you not simply ask the Med Chem uni(s) you're thinking of if you could submit a 5th personal statement/if they'll care? Your PS should be all about medicine, either unis are used to being a 5th choice and aren't bothered, ask for an extra PS, or won't let you apply.

Thank you :smile: How would I go about contacting them?
Original post by candidate415
I would argue that biomed/human bioscience is a more common 5th choice than pharmacology as a 'back-up'.

p.s. your personal statement does not have be tailored to your 5th choice:smile:

Thank you. Yh I think biochemistry and Biomedical are the most common but I'm not particularly keen on either
Thank you :smile: How would I go about contacting them?

Go on their websites for MedChem and look for a ‘contact us’ - usually the life science department. Then email then with your grades etc and explaining that you’d like to use that course as a fifth choice for medicine; you can copy paste that email for multiple unis (no need to worry about convincing them that you do want to do the course or whatever) :smile:
Hi guys,

Think I’ve messed up with my ucat , got 2450 band 2

Is there any universities I can apply to for medicine or should I do the bmat?

Gcses: 87777A666 Chem,Bio,maths,further maths, media , pe , eng lit eng Lang
Predicteds not out yet but hopefully at least AAA

Not too fussed about where I am
Thank you
Apart from Exeter and Queen Mary, which other university uses UCAS points when shortlisting? Thank you
Reply 2619
Yo!
So I'm in Y13 now, predicted grades are my biggest concern naturally, I study Biology, Chemistry and Physics, Medicine is the goal for me (like many, many others).

My last tests before my predicted grades are solidified are all this week and the start of next week, Chemistry and bio are tomorrow, physics is the start of next week and UCAT is on the 29th, my average grade in Bio is an A from previous assessments, so I think I can push for A* predicted if I do well in tomorrow's test, but chemistry is at a C right now and I know if I put 10h into cramming chem today I can convince my teachers to give me a B, but In return, my biology will tank to an A without a doubt, that doesn't sound so bad if it weren't for my physics, I think I'm working at some tragic grade like a D, and A, B, D won't even get me an interview for Medicine, plus I need to cram for UCAT after tomorrow, so no time to boost physics.

I want the closest I can get to a 100% chance of getting an offer, so my current situation seems bleak as hell.

That's the context out of the way, the reason I'm making this post is to ask about Gap years/retaking a year or whatever, I (genuinely) don't have time to do extensive research so I'm crying to the student room for help, I know some medical schools won't accept people who resit a year, and I think I'm not supposed to apply anywhere on UCAS this year if I want to apply to med school after a gap year.

If I decide to take a gap year do I just stay in y13 for the remainder of this year and reappear like a genie when the current Y12s are doing their a level exams?

Tl;dr: no time to revise enough to get necessary predicted grades, what do i have to do to make sure I can get into med school regarding gap years or resitting Y13?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending