Coban
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hahahha no worries I’m struggling too What about this one Name:  6E791659-5474-478A-8CE3-D004E3A467FF.jpg.jpeg
Views: 12
Size:  20.5 KB
Wannabemedic1960
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
How has everyone found the start of a levels
m_j_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Wannabemedic1960)
How has everyone found the start of a levels
So far so good, how about you
Wannabemedic1960
Rep:
?
Yeah same most of them have just been a recap of GCSEs so nothing too hard.
naomixo33
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by m_j_)
So far so good, how about you
I’ve found them fine. Has anyone else’s teacher said they need to do extra reading if the want to get above a D grade😭
munawaralikhan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes - interested in medicine - got 10 GCSEs : 6x9, 1x8, 3x7 - considering Cambridge, Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Lancaster - what's the probability of success for one being called for an interview - with A-levels being similar to the GCSE results & UCAT scores being average?

if these results are good enough should one also consider : Imperial, Cardiff, Birmingham & Leeds?
MangoTangoo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What is everyone doing for the ‘extra curricular’ aspect of their application? I’ve done a fair amount of work experience and volunteering, but need to get started on some things outside of academia!

I’m hoping to apply to the medical schools that look more at the personal statement than the grades, as my GCSEs don’t quite seem as strong as some other applicants... Is anyone aware of any universities that put more emphasis on the personal statement than grades?
mpaprika
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
it's literally impossible getting work experience where I live - phoned three different gps and a hospital !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MangoTangoo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mpaprika)
it's literally impossible getting work experience where I live - phoned three different gps and a hospital !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It’s worth keeping in mind that work experience doesn’t necessarily HAVE to be in a hospital or GP environment- I did a week at a private physio and learnt a lot about the important qualities of working with patients. I did some volunteering at an old people’s home for patients with dementia, and there, I learnt how to communicate with those with dementia, as well as how it affects people.

These are just examples, but it goes to show that there are many valuable lessons you can learn, even if you aren’t in a hospital environment. It’s also worth remembering that universities are aware of how challenging it is to find hospital placements- I was at UCL open day yesterday, and they said that any work experience in which you learn about the important qualities of a doctor are valuable. As long as you can reflect on what you learnt in your personal statement, you should be fine.
no09214
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by munawaralikhan)
Yes - interested in medicine - got 10 GCSEs : 6x9, 1x8, 3x7 - considering Cambridge, Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Lancaster - what's the probability of success for one being called for an interview - with A-levels being similar to the GCSE results & UCAT scores being average?

if these results are good enough should one also consider : Imperial, Cardiff, Birmingham & Leeds?
Yo, I got the exact same results.
pipthesqueak
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
hello!! anyone here doing bio chem maths and sociology? just wanting to let you fellas know, that gcses aren’t actually that of a great significance (well oxbridge yeah)! a-levels, ucat/bmat, personal statements and such are much more important, including the interviews! so let’s spend this year achieving great things, both academically and extra curricular 😔 medical work experience and volunteering is important too so please sort those out!!
mez_merising
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
eyy gang gang
Omerkkkkk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by no09214)
Yo, I got the exact same results.
Me too 😁
no09214
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Omerkkkkk)
Me too 😁
For Real?
no09214
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Will doing one hour a day for a year be enough to achieve 3200+ in the UCAT?
pipthesqueak
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MangoTangoo)
What is everyone doing for the ‘extra curricular’ aspect of their application? I’ve done a fair amount of work experience and volunteering, but need to get started on some things outside of academia!

I’m hoping to apply to the medical schools that look more at the personal statement than the grades, as my GCSEs don’t quite seem as strong as some other applicants... Is anyone aware of any universities that put more emphasis on the personal statement than grades?
i’m thinking of joining the medical society in my sixth form, run a club, and perhaps join a sports club!! you can pretty much do anything tbh, ncs, reading on medicine, summer school, going to medicine career talks and such are good too!
Wannabemedic1960
Rep:
?
For extracurriculars I’m going to join medics society and dissection society at my school. I also really want do Mun as it’s something not medically related and sounds fun. I’m going to carry on volunteering at my local care home and think I’ll do an EPQ next year
mpaprika
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Wannabemedic1960)
For extracurriculars I’m going to join medics society and dissection society at my school. I also really want do Mun as it’s something not medically related and sounds fun. I’m going to carry on volunteering at my local care home and think I’ll do an EPQ next year
mun?:eyeball:
Wannabemedic1960
Rep:
?
It’s short for Mock United Nations. I really like the sound of it and I’m really interested in current affairs
Omerkkkkk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Is anyone doing Cambridge Pre U Global Perspectives and Independent research . I am thinking of taking that instead of EPQ
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?