Official Thread: (Undergraduate) Medicine 2021 Entry

Watch
no09214
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Omerkkkkk)
Is anyone doing Cambridge Pre U Global Perspectives and Independent research . I am thinking of taking that instead of EPQ
Whats EPQ?
Omerkkkkk
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Extended project qualification
mez_merising
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Wannabemedic1960)
For extracurriculars I’m going to join medics society and dissection society at my school. I also really want do Mun as it’s something not medically related and sounds fun. I’m going to carry on volunteering at my local care home and think I’ll do an EPQ next year
dissection soc sounds awesome omg
LouAlice
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
So I’m hoping to apply to medicine for 2021. My gcse grades were 4 9s, 2 8s, 2 7s a 6 and a 5 and an a*. Currently studying a levels in maths biology chemistry and further maths (I’ll probably drop after AS as it isn’t seen as a separate a level for medicine anyway). Does anyone know what work experience I should be looking to do, apart from the obvious hospitals?
Unknown829919228
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Alysia.joy)
So I’m hoping to apply to medicine for 2021. My gcse grades were 4 9s, 2 8s, 2 7s a 6 and a 5 and an a*. Currently studying a levels in maths biology chemistry and further maths (I’ll probably drop after AS as it isn’t seen as a separate a level for medicine anyway). Does anyone know what work experience I should be looking to do, apart from the obvious hospitals?
We have similar grades 4 9’s 2 8’s and a 6 (I have extenuating circumstances to why I only did 7 GCSEs) and I’m doing bio chem and maths. I’m in the same boat as you though looking for work experience and from what I’ve seen universities recommend doing long term volunteering e.g in a care home/with disabled children. However all the nursing homes I’ve emailed want me to be 18 and the volunteering service at my hospital say you have to be 17 which I won’t be until March. You should contact the careers service at your college that is what i will do after half term.
AS_29
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Anyone doing a medically related EPQ???
MangoTangoo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by AS_29)
Yes, I’ve just started mine and I’m basing it on personalised medicine and its uses in oncology- it’s not the most original idea but I have managed to find some good research to base it on. Are you?
AS_29
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by MangoTangoo)
Yes, I’ve just started mine and I’m basing it on personalised medicine and its uses in oncology- it’s not the most original idea but I have managed to find some good research to base it on. Are you?
Yes I'm doing about digital medicines. I haven't decided specifically what aspects I'd focus on yet, but I've collated lots of resources on it I'm gonna read through.
LouAlice
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I have been having second thoughts on taking medicine, however the reason for is just me worrying I won’t get in or will find it too difficult. Is anyone else in the same position as me?
naomixo33
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I have been having second thoughts on taking medicine, however the reason for is just me worrying I won’t get in or will find it too difficult. Is anyone else in the same position as me?
Yes sometimes I doubt whether I can actually make it into medicine
St George's, University of London
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi!

I'm a graduate studying in my first year of undergraduate Medicine.

In terms of work experience, Universities aren't looking for how much you've done, rather what you learnt whilst on your work experience. It also helps to have a wider range of experiences too, such as voluntary work in a care home, captaining a team at school or working at a pharmacy on the weekend. Each experience will give you valuable lessons on the life of a healthcare professional, so its important to make sure these are varied and that you reflect on what you saw, not just what you did yourself.

Furthermore, it also helps to reach out to any current medical students that have left from your current school, as they will have contacts in place already from where they themselves did work experience. It's always good to network!

I hope this helps!

Mo
1st Year Medical Student
Official Rep for St George's, University of London
clawson26
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I am thinking of applying. I got 10 A*s and 1A at GCSE. I’m going on work experience in a GP in Feb and am starting a 6 week volunteering project after half term. Hopefully after that I can do some more long term volunteering.
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi!

Please do let me know if you would like to discuss your second thoughts. I am a 4th year medical student so maybe I could give you some insight into Medicine! But sure, it is something that you do need to consider and think about properly. Having said that, I am having so much fun in my course right now! The first 2 years were a bit difficult, I'll be honest. But I think that is because of the jump from A levels on to University. If you keep up with your work from the get go, you will be more than fine!

As always, any further questions, please let me know!

Best Wishes,
MJ
4th Year Medical Student
Official University Rep St. George's University of London
BChemGee
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by MangoTangoo)
What is everyone doing for the ‘extra curricular’ aspect of their application? I’ve done a fair amount of work experience and volunteering, but need to get started on some things outside of academia!

I’m hoping to apply to the medical schools that look more at the personal statement than the grades, as my GCSEs don’t quite seem as strong as some other applicants... Is anyone aware of any universities that put more emphasis on the personal statement than grades?
As an extra-curricular, I joined my local NHS youth forum, we help implement ways to improve our local NHS trust's youth services and also give suggestions to visiting charities focusing on primary care for young people.
I'd say it's pretty good because it shows your interest in the NHS and helping people. Also, my youth forum leaders are trying to hook us up with the hospital volunteering scheme in one of the hospitals' atm, so it could possibly serve as another way of getting work experience.

If you're interested in that kind of thing, I'd say search youth forum [insert your local NHS trust], there tends to be established youth forums at some NHS trusts, but if your NHS trust doesn't have one, you could always look at your local GP and see if they have a patient participation group (kind of the same thing as a youth forum, but on a smaller scale - you're looking at improving the services of your GP) and if not.... you could always start one ! :borat:
naomixo33
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Has anyone started doing any extracurricular things towards their application? I'm going to start volunteering at a care home and have applied for work experience
Unknown829919228
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by naomixo33)
Has anyone started doing any extracurricular things towards their application? I'm going to start volunteering at a care home and have applied for work experience
Same I’ve been invited for an open day at a care home and I’ve also applied for an outreach program at my local uni. I’m going to apply for hospital work experience/volunteering once I turn 17 as I can’t right now.
Imade13
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by AS_29)
Yeah I Am, I feel like mine is a bit typical bur it’s based on recreational drugs - but it’s a wide topic; there’s a lot of research on it
LouAlice
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by St George's University of London)
Hi!

Please do let me know if you would like to discuss your second thoughts. I am a 4th year medical student so maybe I could give you some insight into Medicine! But sure, it is something that you do need to consider and think about properly. Having said that, I am having so much fun in my course right now! The first 2 years were a bit difficult, I'll be honest. But I think that is because of the jump from A levels on to University. If you keep up with your work from the get go, you will be more than fine!

As always, any further questions, please let me know!

Best Wishes,
MJ
4th Year Medical Student
Official University Rep St. George's University of London
Hi, I know I would love to do medicine, however it’s more that I just don’t think I will get in. My gcse grades weren’t really the best so I’m wondering if there’s any point in possibly ‘wasting’ my uni applications with something I don’t have a chance of getting in to.
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi, I know I would love to do medicine, however it’s more that I just don’t think I will get in. My gcse grades weren’t really the best so I’m wondering if there’s any point in possibly ‘wasting’ my uni applications with something I don’t have a chance of getting in to.
Hi!

If you feel as though your grades are too low, there are still alternative routes you can take. Have you considered looking into the Graduate Entry route? Many universities offer these courses for post-grads, who undertook different degrees and then applied to Medicine afterwards. Universities also allow graduates to apply to their undergraduate programmes, but this varies depending on their admissions policy. I myself undertook a different degree and then applied for Medical school, whilst it was long and required patience, I learnt a lot about myself and developed myself in those years. It's always important to consider these alternative routes, as you'll find many students in the same boat. What you have in common with them is that dedication to get into medical school, and that drive is what will help you succeed.

I hope this helps.

Best Wishes,

Mo
BSc | First Year MBBS
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by St George's University of London)
Hi!

If you feel as though your grades are too low, there are still alternative routes you can take. Have you considered looking into the Graduate Entry route? Many universities offer these courses for post-grads, who undertook different degrees and then applied to Medicine afterwards. Universities also allow graduates to apply to their undergraduate programmes, but this varies depending on their admissions policy. I myself undertook a different degree and then applied for Medical school, whilst it was long and required patience, I learnt a lot about myself and developed myself in those years. It's always important to consider these alternative routes, as you'll find many students in the same boat. What you have in common with them is that dedication to get into medical school, and that drive is what will help you succeed.

I hope this helps.

Best Wishes,

Mo
BSc | First Year MBBS
Some med schools don't have any GCSE requirements e.g. Cambridge. Don't start a degree with the aim of doing graduate entry medicine, unless you actually wanted to do that degree.

You'd be better off retaking the GCSEs and spending an extra year doing that, rather than spending 3 years doing a degree then applying to the much more competitive GEM (overall 7 years vs 6 years). It'll be relatively easier, and cheaper and quicker to retake GCSEs then reapply. Plenty of med schools accept retake A Levels these days, let alone retake GCSEs.

Here is a list of all the UK med schools entry requirements: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf
Last edited by ecolier; 10 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (49)
13.69%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (50)
13.97%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (131)
36.59%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (38)
10.61%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (69)
19.27%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
5.87%

Watched Threads