PranPlays35
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I just received my GCSE results a couple of days ago, and I could not express how disappointed I was when I opened the envelope. I did receive 8s in two of my Sciences, and managed to bag 7s in Maths, Business, Geography and Chemistry, which scraped me into my school's sixth form. I did expect better in these results but this wasn't the total shock to me. English Language and Literature, which I was relatively good at, (I was predicted 2 7s) I came out with a 5 in language (2 marks of a 6) and a 6 in literature (4 marks of a 7). Language shocked me the most, I thought I did well enough to get a high 6 at least. When I asked my teacher for individual grades, I got 45/80 for Paper 1 and 50/80 in Paper 2, even though I find descriptive writing easier than the letter we had to write to the Mayor in Paper 2. I am getting Paper 1 remarked, and hopefully I bump up a grade or 2 in language. I need to remark literature as a back up, as I need a 7 in either Lang or Lit to take Government & Politics for A-Level. I did recieve a 6 for DT as well and a 5 in German (3 marks of a 6) which I am getting remarked, but those were more expected results. I expected to see a few 9s, but I guess it wasn't my day. Hopefully the remarks are successful for me, because I think AQA's marking is incredibly inconsistent.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by PranPlays35)
I just received my GCSE results a couple of days ago, and I could not express how disappointed I was when I opened the envelope. I did receive 8s in two of my Sciences, and managed to bag 7s in Maths, Business, Geography and Chemistry, which scraped me into my school's sixth form. I did expect better in these results but this wasn't the total shock to me. English Language and Literature, which I was relatively good at, (I was predicted 2 7s) I came out with a 5 in language (2 marks of a 6) and a 6 in literature (4 marks of a 7). Language shocked me the most, I thought I did well enough to get a high 6 at least. When I asked my teacher for individual grades, I got 45/80 for Paper 1 and 50/80 in Paper 2, even though I find descriptive writing easier than the letter we had to write to the Mayor in Paper 2. I am getting Paper 1 remarked, and hopefully I bump up a grade or 2 in language. I need to remark literature as a back up, as I need a 7 in either Lang or Lit to take Government & Politics for A-Level. I did recieve a 6 for DT as well and a 5 in German (3 marks of a 6) which I am getting remarked, but those were more expected results. I expected to see a few 9s, but I guess it wasn't my day. Hopefully the remarks are successful for me, because I think AQA's marking is incredibly inconsistent.
On what basis is AQA incredibly inconsistent?
If they pain you that much then resit them.
Does your teacher think you deserved higher grades?
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The majority of reviews of marking don't change the marks and VERY few change by more than a grade - don't be misled by all the people on here telling you 'their friend' went up 2 grades, it really doesn't happen very often - I've seen the results of well over 1000 reviews and only 2 have gone up by 2 grades.
Last edited by Compost; 4 weeks ago
PranPlays35
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
On what basis is AQA incredibly inconsistent?
If they pain you that much then resit them.
Does your teacher think you deserved higher grades?
Haven’t checked yet, but the exam I wrote I deserved better than a 5 in language.
PranPlays35
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
The majority of reviews of marking don't change the marks and VERY few change by more than a grade - don't be misled by all the people on here telling you 'their friend' when up 2 grades, it really doesn't happen very often - I've seen the results of well over 1000 reviews and only 2 have gone up by 2 grades.
I’m happy to go up by one grade each for English tbh. I revised a lot and don’t deserve the grade I got.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
Haven’t checked yet, but the exam I wrote I deserved better than a 5 in language.
Then the only way to check is to get your scripts back and go through it with your teacher.
You can then go for a remark.
The chance of a change in grade is 10-20%. Close you are to the next grade the better your chance.
If it changes you get your money back and if not you dont.
66pp66
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i got grade 6 for lit though 1 mark off 7. was predicted an 8 so imagine my shock when i got it. i enjoyed the exam and was so confident. i have arranged for mine to be remarked need extra 1 mark.
PranPlays35
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 66pp66)
i got grade 6 for lit though 1 mark off 7. was predicted an 8 so imagine my shock when i got it. i enjoyed the exam and was so confident. i have arranged for mine to be remarked need extra 1 mark.
What did you get in language?
66pp66
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What did you get in language?
grade 8
PranPlays35
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 66pp66)
grade 8
That's calm, still haven't received my remark result
66pp66
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That's calm, still haven't received my remark result
managed to get grade 7 instead of 6. another 11 marks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (39)
7.59%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (299)
58.17%
No (176)
34.24%

Watched Threads