A level maths, economics, computer science and further maths Watch

Fufuyo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm deciding to take a level maths, economics, computer science and further maths (as I believe further maths is basically essential for a CS/finance/Econ related degree in the top Russel group unis). However, I'm still not sure if I have made the right choice as im not sure if I will be able to cope with 4 a levels or am competent enough for further maths. I got a 9 in computer science, maths, physics and chemistry in gcse. Is this a good choice of subjects?
Last edited by Fufuyo; 1 month ago
Fufuyo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fufuyo)
I'm deciding to take a level maths, economics, computer science and further maths (as I believe further maths is basically essential for a CS/finance/Econ related degree in the top Russel group unis). However, I'm still not sure if I have made the right choice as im not sure if I will be able to cope with 4 a levels or am competent enough for further maths. I got a 9 in computer science, maths, physics and chemistry in gcse. Is this a good choice of subjects?
Also note to take further maths I need to take it as a 4th a level in my sixth form
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Also note to take further maths I need to take it as a 4th a level in my sixth form
I think 4 A-levels is doable if it includes further maths. Studying for maths + further maths is less work than studying for two completely different subjects. Because if you can do integration in further maths (of which there is a lot) you can breeze through integration problems in single - just as an example.
And yeah with CS and economics some universities do prefer you to have further maths. LSE's econ course in particular is heavily maths-based, and if you were to apply to Imperial for computing you'd have to take STEP too.
Fufuyo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
I think 4 A-levels is doable if it includes further maths. Studying for maths + further maths is less work than studying for two completely different subjects. Because if you can do integration in further maths (of which there is a lot) you can breeze through integration problems in single - just as an example.
And yeah with CS and economics some universities do prefer you to have further maths. LSE's econ course in particular is heavily maths-based, and if you were to apply to Imperial for computing you'd have to take STEP too.
Thanks, I really needed to hear that! Also what is STEP? And did u take further maths at a levels?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks, I really needed to hear that! Also what is STEP? And did u take further maths at a levels?
STEP (Sixth Term Examination Paper) is a series of maths exams (usually you only take two of them) taken around the same time as A-levels. Universities may include it as part of a conditional offer for maths-based courses - e.g. Warwick's standard offer for maths is A*A*A* but if you were to take STEP it would be A*A*A + a grade 1 in STEP. However only Cambridge and Imperial include STEP requirements in their typical offers, and I think Imperial is the only one that requires STEP for straight computing.

I did take further maths. The way my school taught it, we covered all of A-level maths in year 12 and then all of further maths in year 13 but we sat both subjects this year. So in the exam season I barely did any revision for single maths because it wasn't necessary at that point - I was focusing on further. Hence why it was less work than two distinct subjects.
The hardest part about the further maths exams for me was trying to not make basic numerical mistakes because every paper I was pressed for time and wouldn't have time to check. It's not too difficult to learn how to tackle the questions, what does take a lot of practice is being able to get any question right first time.
Last edited by Sinnoh; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24.06%
No (322)
75.94%

Watched Threads