The Student Room Group

Meat will surely be a thing of the past?

so many food places bringing vegan food in, demand for meat falling and most of my friends turning vegan will meat be a thing of the past soon?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You've seen something that's very local to you and you're thinking that it represents a global trend - not really.
Once synthetic meat becomes as good as the real thing then yes, but my guess is that it would take longer for the whole world to stop eating meat than it would for a realistic artificial meat to be made.
Reply 2
I wouldn't say soon, but probably within the next 100 years or so, farming of animals would have to still happen as it's a vital income for many and we need some way of managing our countryside, and animals are a good way to do that, doesn't mean we have to eat them but something has to be done with them. Plants would also probably need to be modified genetically so they can produce all the nutrients that we need from meat. It's not going to happen within your lifetime.
Is the demand for meat truly falling? I saw so many vegan activists while I was at the animal rights march saying a "vegan world is inevitable" and they just seem so deluded in my opinion.

The rise of the sale of vegan alternatives and animal products are not mutually exclusive.

Take Burger King’s plant-based "Impossible Whopper" burger. Many vegans dream that this sort of product will encourage meat eaters to stop eating meat. A nice fantasy but the objective facts tell the true story. Burger King bosses say that, since they launched the plant-based meal, meat eaters are continuing to buy beef burgers. The only difference is that now vegans and vegetarians are starting to come through the doors too. They have simply widened their customer base, not changed habits or spending choices.

Are we to believe that Burger King and KFC have a special vegan till into which they put our money, only to invest it in animal love? No, the core business of these corporations is animal slaughter for food. By financially supporting them, all vegans are doing is funding their ability to continue to operate in a market we fundamentally object to.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/vegan-fashion-taylor-swift-burger-king-kfc-ethical-consumerism-a9073361.html?amp

It goes deeper than just simply not consuming animal products.

But I guess society's morality does evolve and it may happen at some point...
*munches on a porkchop*
I had a good meaty burger last night
Original post by Rock Fan
I had a good meaty burger last night

With some cheese and bacon on top and a glass of milk to get it down, I hope?
Original post by _polaroid

Had bacon but no cheese and had a coke instead of milk
Reply 8

Milk with a burger? That's a new one for me.
That would be good
Original post by Notnek
Milk with a burger? That's a new one for me.

If you're gonna kill a cow you should go all the way.
Original post by Rock Fan
Had bacon but no cheese and had a coke instead of milk

Good lad.
Reply 12
If you're gonna kill a cow you should go all the way.

Beef mainly comes from male cows so you’d be drinking moob milk.
2.5 million year old habits die hard.
Original post by Notnek
Beef mainly comes from male cows so you’d be drinking moob milk.

mmm moob milk
Like trying to pick which lunatic you want to run the asylum.
Doubt it.
A diet that includes meat has been seen as a cultural norm within the majority of nations and societies for thousands of years.
Many people enjoy the taste of meat, believe that they need to be omnivores to remain healthy and will never totally turn away from consuming meat containing meals.
Some animals demand raw meat and will start hunting other animals, if they are not provided with an adequate meat supply.

On the other hand, there have always been some cultures that frown on the the meat trade and religious groups that do not permit any meat consumption.
Some people have no appetite for the taste of meat, don't eat any meat for animal rights reasons or can't afford to buy meat.
I want to be vegan but feel that a lot of the rhetoric surrounding these issues is quite inflammatory and takes away from the fact it is a personal choice. Also, I think some will have to eat meat longer than orhers
Original post by Juan M
so many food places bringing vegan food in, demand for meat falling and most of my friends turning vegan will meat be a thing of the past soon?

LOL, the delusion people experience is hilarious; just because something is happening in your area does not mean that it’s happening everywhere. I guess you live in a hippy area
I am waiting for the vegan troll to be triggered here

Quick Reply

Latest