Mande1724
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Soon I will be going into my final year of university and I will be applying for finance and audit graduate schemes. The only previous experience I have is some retail work and some volunteering but I will be starting a student ambassador role soon.I have put on my CV that I did some admin work for a relative. Will I get found out even if they will back me up and act as a reference?
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
why lie about doing admin work. imo it isn't even worth lying about
Mande1724
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ltsmith)
why lie about doing admin work. imo it isn't even worth lying about
The retail experience I have is only for one month as it was a temporary contract. I just thought the admin work would be helpful because it would give me more stuff to talk about.
U33B
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
To be quite honest with you hardly any places check if what you have said is true. Some people blag their way to the top and earn big bucks like some CEO`s of companies. However, like the previous person mentioned, it`s not worth lying because they will expect you to know what you`ve said and use it when you get hired. Yea first few days, weeks or months they won`t suss it out, but karma is karma, one day you might be asked to do something and suddenly you`ll be totally clueless so that will be even more embarrassing for you. Student ambassador role isn`t a career type of job so I doubt they`ll do full thorough background checks but having said that I was once interviewed for the same role and they asked me questions about my experience and stuff (don`t worry I didn`t blag anything, I told the truth). Plus, its bad practice, because if you`re lying for this type of job, imagine if you lie for a career type of job, where they will check everything, and I mean everything and if they find out something that’s its game over. Plus, you might not be able to get a job you wanted because you lied. Regarding backing up as a reference. The only thing they will ask the referee is "how long have you known this person", "how is he as a person; is he easy to get along with, can he work with others etc" "is he employable" and "whatever he mentioned in the CV, as far you are aware is it correct?" and that’s it. I personally wouldn`t blag for this type of job, but if I was an employer hiring you for this job and you wrote this, I wouldn`t care because every job gives you training anyway. However like I said before, when I applied for this position they asked me about me experience and work and stuff, so you can either not mention it or if you do mention it know your stuff about it so that you don`t look like a fool when you`re questioned. And make this the first and last time of blagging, because you don`t want to jeopardise your career in the future for a simple, stupid lie. Hope this helps.
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Mande1724)
The retail experience I have is only for one month as it was a temporary contract. I just thought the admin work would be helpful because it would give me more stuff to talk about.
you're not expected to have much experience for a grad scheme and admin work isn't really that relevant to finance and audit (depends what you mean by admin work really, I interpret it as being a secretary).
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Probably not.

Many employers don't conduct detailed checks on all applicants.
If your relative is contacted and provides you with a reference, it is likely to be taken at face value.
But don't make a habit of faking a career history or anything else on your CV; that is a crime that can result in a prison sentence if you get caught.
ParagonProxy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Mande1724)
Soon I will be going into my final year of university and I will be applying for finance and audit graduate schemes. The only previous experience I have is some retail work and some volunteering but I will be starting a student ambassador role soon.I have put on my CV that I did some admin work for a relative. Will I get found out even if they will back me up and act as a reference?
Hello Mande1724,

Imagine the following scenario: You are a hiring manager and you have in front of you candidates who worked at the Big 4, Insurers, Brokerages and Consultancies, Banks, Financial Services and more, each one of their companies recognisable amongst the skyline of the City providing prospective candidates with powerful brand names to verify their abilities and pedigree alike. In comes a candidate with a singular experience acquired purely through nepotistic means and adds no discernible value to their character,-- worst yet, they stumble and stutter to justify its worth in light of the other candidates who surely would have informed them of their backgrounds before the interview.

If you truly are at such a level where you can not even acquire a generic finance scheme and have to resort to being disingenuous and weaving your own family in a story of lies, then you are obviously a sub-par candidate that will get whittled out as the process churns ahead.

Better start rehearsing,

Paragon
Last edited by ParagonProxy; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (188)
23.98%