The Student Room Group

AQA a level English lit

What’s this course like? Will it be much of a step up for someone who got a 9 at GCSE
Reply 1
There are two specifications, Spec A and Spec B.

I did Spec A, which has three components: Love Through the Ages, Texts in Shared Contexts (either WW1 literature or literature from 1945 to the present day), and Texts Across Time (coursework).

As the titles suggest, this specification has a historicist approach, inviting students to consider literature through the lens of its historical context. This means that you will flourish on this course if you enjoy thinking about how social mores have changed over time and what people's experiences in the past differed from those of today.

I believe Spec B is more genre-based, but someone who has done it could confirm that.

As for whether it is a step up from GCSE, of course it is, but definitely in a manageable way. Each step of your education is designed to prepare you for the next, so GCSEs are an adequate preparation for tackling A-Levels. If you have a Grade 9 in English Lit at GCSE, you will ease into the A-Level without any difficulty at all.
Original post by Gwil
There are two specifications, Spec A and Spec B.

I did Spec A, which has three components: Love Through the Ages, Texts in Shared Contexts (either WW1 literature or literature from 1945 to the present day), and Texts Across Time (coursework).

As the titles suggest, this specification has a historicist approach, inviting students to consider literature through the lens of its historical context. This means that you will flourish on this course if you enjoy thinking about how social mores have changed over time and what people's experiences in the past differed from those of today.

I believe Spec B is more genre-based, but someone who has done it could confirm that.

As for whether it is a step up from GCSE, of course it is, but definitely in a manageable way. Each step of your education is designed to prepare you for the next, so GCSEs are an adequate preparation for tackling A-Levels. If you have a Grade 9 in English Lit at GCSE, you will ease into the A-Level without any difficulty at all.

Well I disagree with ‘easing into it without any difficulty’. People with 8
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by S.carter
Well I disagree with ‘easing into it without any difficulty’. People with 8

Fair enough, I can't speak for everyone. A-Levels are absolutely meant to be a challenge, and so entail picking up new skills quickly and getting your head around new concepts.
I wouldn't call it a step up. You have to approach questions a bit differently, meeting more specific AOs like relevant context for example, but realistically, it will come relatively easily with practice.

Quick Reply

Latest